LTX 2018 Discussion Thread

CPotter

Hey guys!

We're planning another LTX event for this year, and I wanted to ask you all what you'd like to see at the event.

Open to all feedback and suggestions, even if you didn't go last year. :D 

3 minutes ago, rodrosenberg said:

Count us in! 

I didn't see a firepole last year so that would be a huge improvement! 

Awesome! Stoked to hang with you guys again. I'll e-mail you guys the details once we have them.

More exclusive and/or early access products from huge companies (if possible, of course).

Maybe also Colton accepting random friend requests on Discord live ;)

Having a (paid) shuttle bus to Carvolth Exchange, the local bus loop, which has easy connections to SkyTrain, for people who can't use a car or walk. 501 is awfully slow.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

45 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Make it accessible to the east?  I would love to have a Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa secondary LTX

ftfy

Also i don't think lmg has a office there sooo

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Here's what I liked:

- Interactive venues: loved the case toss, bungee race, pugilist sticks. Things to do between announcements and t-shirt tosses. One of the things I love about an event like, say, PAX, is that there's tons of stuff to DO, not just look at. Keep me busy.

- The meet-and-greet: loved that you guys were down on the floor with us plebs, shaking hands and kissing babies.

- Vendor booths: MOAR. Would love to see more vendors with more stuff, more giveaways, more games.

- VR!

- Video  games!

- Life-sized standees: those things were hilarious.

- The auction: pretty funny stuff!

- The space: good size for the amount of attendees; busy on the floor but not cramped, space in the rafters if the introverts need to decompress.

Here's what I think could be improved on:

- Security: you guys had, easily, $10k of swag loosely guarded by a dude or two. If it's the same setup this year, you guys are gonna have a bad time. Keeping the swag out on display is great, but a velvet rope and a mean-lookin' dude isn't enough. I would suggest making it less easily accessible.

- Other security: the door prizes were AMAZING. Of course, I got none of them, such is my lot in life. However, if I were a less honest and upright citizen, I might have considered convincing Nick (by possibly nefarious means) to call out the numbers that myself and my friends had in our possession. Oh look, we just walked away with several thou in gear! How pleasing. I'd suggest attaching identifiers to each sold ticket and drawing from that data, rather than the easily-gamed stubs.

- More VR!

- More video games! BYO rig LAN party? The logistics are insane but when has that ever stopped you guys?

- Options to purchase merch: there were none. That was, in my opinion, a massive opportunity wasted. I had money burning a hole in my pocket. It could have been yours.

- The auction: nothing there I actually wanted. Again, I felt that that was a missed opportunity. I understand you're not about to auction off embargoed chips or vendor samples, but there must be a few choice pieces of Scrapyard Wars memorabilia kicking around.

- The venue itself: while in some ways the arena was perfect (size, food vendors already present, less-expensive location) I definitely feel there are other options - ones with better sound and less janky equipment. I would BLOODY LOVE IT if the Vancouver downtown convention centre could be used. Parking sucks and it's expensive, but it's the big leagues. Maybe if LTX grows a bit? That shit's world-class.

- My kid's prolly old enough to bring this year without being bored or easily exhausted. Maybe stuff that would appeal to the pre-teens? It's a bit of an ask but I wasn't the only parent there. Just a thought.

Does Vancouver still doesn't have Uber until now?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Does Vancouver still doesn't have Uber until now?

Still not legal in BC

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

I want a working patch for meltdown/spectre and an official apology for the failure from Intel, and an unveiling of an AMD card to properly rival the Titan V in gaming.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I miss muscles, I wonder what he is up to right now!

I hope pinkbike is treating him well, maybe he's got a BowFlex in his corner office.

Keep his pecks buff ;)

Van has Car2Go which I used to use frequently, $700/yr worth.

Now not so much now with my electric bicycle and bus pass.

since it isn't realistic to ask for LTX to be more accessible to people from Europe, I would like to see some old build possible to buy, like I heard (I think luke, maybe linus as well) didn't know what to do with the old awesome builds instead of taking them down, there are a lot of people that would wanne buy those awesome builds!

I would also like to meet you guys (like it was at LTX 2017) (and if I can come :/ )
Oh and everybody from LMG has to have a load of fun there!!!

BTW question, now that Luke isn't LMG staff anymore will he be at LTX? just wondering

15 hours ago, b3ar said:

Here's what I liked:

- Interactive venues: loved the case toss, bungee race, pugilist sticks. Things to do between announcements and t-shirt tosses. One of the things I love about an event like, say, PAX, is that there's tons of stuff to DO, not just look at. Keep me busy.

- The meet-and-greet: loved that you guys were down on the floor with us plebs, shaking hands and kissing babies.

- Vendor booths: MOAR. Would love to see more vendors with more stuff, more giveaways, more games.

- VR!

- Video  games!

- Life-sized standees: those things were hilarious.

- The auction: pretty funny stuff!

- The space: good size for the amount of attendees; busy on the floor but not cramped, space in the rafters if the introverts need to decompress.

Here's what I think could be improved on:

- Security: you guys had, easily, $10k of swag loosely guarded by a dude or two. If it's the same setup this year, you guys are gonna have a bad time. Keeping the swag out on display is great, but a velvet rope and a mean-lookin' dude isn't enough. I would suggest making it less easily accessible.

- Other security: the door prizes were AMAZING. Of course, I got none of them, such is my lot in life. However, if I were a less honest and upright citizen, I might have considered convincing Nick (by possibly nefarious means) to call out the numbers that myself and my friends had in our possession. Oh look, we just walked away with several thou in gear! How pleasing. I'd suggest attaching identifiers to each sold ticket and drawing from that data, rather than the easily-gamed stubs.

- More VR!

- More video games! BYO rig LAN party? The logistics are insane but when has that ever stopped you guys?

- Options to purchase merch: there were none. That was, in my opinion, a massive opportunity wasted. I had money burning a hole in my pocket. It could have been yours.

- The auction: nothing there I actually wanted. Again, I felt that that was a missed opportunity. I understand you're not about to auction off embargoed chips or vendor samples, but there must be a few choice pieces of Scrapyard Wars memorabilia kicking around.

- The venue itself: while in some ways the arena was perfect (size, food vendors already present, less-expensive location) I definitely feel there are other options - ones with better sound and less janky equipment. I would BLOODY LOVE IT if the Vancouver downtown convention centre could be used. Parking sucks and it's expensive, but it's the big leagues. Maybe if LTX grows a bit? That shit's world-class.

- My kid's prolly old enough to bring this year without being bored or easily exhausted. Maybe stuff that would appeal to the pre-teens? It's a bit of an ask but I wasn't the only parent there. Just a thought.

Thanks for all of this! Exactly what I was looking for, appreciate it.

You guys need to make this a lan party like Tek Syndicate did one year before they imploded.

Imagine it- turnip kid has grown up a little and will spam uganda knuckles memes over voice chat.

Jokes aside, you got this new generation into PCs, now get them into lan parties.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

36 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

You guys need to make this a lan party like Tek Syndicate did one year before they imploded.

Imagine it- turnip kid has grown up a little and will spam uganda knuckles memes over voice chat.

Jokes aside, you got this new generation into PCs, now get them into lan parties.

We're not sure if it'll be BYOC as that would be a logistical nightmare, but there will definitely be some sort of LAN present at our next event.

first off we need dates. I gotta put in paid time off for this and plan travel. This year i'm in a better financial position than last year and I'm definitely going to be able to make it! 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

first off we need dates. I gotta put in paid time off for this and plan travel. This year i'm in a better financial position than last year and I'm definitely going to be able to make it! 

Dates coming in February once we get most of the details locked in. :) 

8 hours ago, CPotter said:

Thanks for all of this! Exactly what I was looking for, appreciate it.

Ain't no thing! Hit me up if you need some assistance with the event planning. I have an unusual skill set and know words like scope, procurement, and logistics.

13 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

@CPotter I think it was pretty good. Just make sure it's in summer cause students like me gotta go too. I am that one kid from Mary Browns if u can remember that xD

We're TENTATIVELY looking at July 14th in Richmond, but that is subject to change. Also, yes I remember. Mary Brown's makes great chicken.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

When are students off? July and August, if you can book the arena.

http://www.transitdb.ca/route/501/

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Carvolth,+Langley+Twp,+BC/@49.1580931,-122.6726539,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x5485d1773c89c091:0xfabb5d82e64006de!8m2!3d49.1591994!4d-122.6679373

17 minutes ago, JDE said:

I have to take a 2-3 hour bus ride to go there thanks to the 501... adds like 20 mins onto my trip time from Carvolth since it's so slow

Is there not another route?

every single bus, even the short ones have bike racks, take your bike!

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I think there's the 595 but that doesn't run on weekends last time I checked, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't stop there.

501 is annoying and always full too

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop