AMD sued over Spectre flaw

Jito463

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/17/amd_investors_sue_over_chip_flaw_silence/

A lawsuit was filed in California against AMD, claiming they artificially inflated stock prices by not announcing the Spectre vulnerability.

AMD stands accused of "artificially inflating" its stock price by not making public a CPU design flaw the tech world now knows as Spectre, according to a class-action lawsuit brought on behalf of investors.

Yesterday's filing by shareholder Doyun Kim in the northern district of California court stated: "As a result of defendants' wrongful acts and omissions, and the precipitous decline in the market value of the company's common shares, plaintiff and other class members have suffered significant losses and damages."

The listed defendants are AMD CEO Lisa Su and CFO Devinder Kumar.

I'm not sure the suit will stand, given that the product was already launched well before the vulnerability was discovered.  It's not like they rushed it to market after learning about Spectre, that was all discovered well after the product was released to market.  Especially given that the lawsuit alleges the artificial inflation goes back to FY 2016.

This latest legal challenge covers the period between 21 February, 2017, the day AMD filed its 2016 end-of-year financial statement, and 11 January this year, when the company made an official response to the reports of the flaws.

Another nail in the coffin of this lawsuit, is that the stock prices have actually gone up since the announcement about Spectre.

There's also the little annoying fact that AMD's share price went up after details of Meltdown and Spectre emerged in early January, and at $12.12 today, the stock price is more than its June 1 value of $10.93. It peaked at $14.76 in July.

Kim bought 21,000 shares in AMD at $12.24 on January 8, 2018, presumably thinking it was a safe bet. He now appears to be upset they declined in value by 0.99 per cent to $12.02 on January 12, the day after the chip design clarified its position on Meltdown and Spectre.

*EDIT*

I apparently overlooked this, there was a link to the original filing in the above story.

https://regmedia.co.uk/2018/01/17/amd_cpu_design_lawsuit.pdf

*EDIT2*

I just noticed one more bit of information (and this is why I shouldn't post late at night, when I should be sleeping).

Apparently, the guy bringing the lawsuit bought his shares on the 8th.  Of January.  Of this year.  In other words, he apparently bought shares after the Meltdown bug was announced, while AMD was saying there was little chance of vulnerability from Spectre.  After AMD announced they were vulnerable to Spectre, the shares dropped by 0.99% (or $0.12), meaning he lost money on a gamble (around $1,200) and now wants to cry foul.

Kim bought 21,000 shares in AMD at $12.24 on January 8, 2018, presumably thinking it was a safe bet. He now appears to be upset they declined in value by 0.99 per cent to $12.02 on January 12, the day after the chip design clarified its position on Meltdown and Spectre.

stupid lawsuits from greedy lawyers.  The more money they spend defending stupid lawsuits the more they have to charge for CPU's and the less they have for developing better stuff.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'd rather tune to channel Intel and see how their lawsuits go

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I'm not sure the suit will stand, given that the product was already launched well before the vulnerability was discovered.  It's not like they rushed it to market after learning about Spectre, that was all discovered well after the product was released to market.  Especially given that the lawsuit alleges the artificial inflation goes back to FY 2016.

The lawsuit has nothing to do with product releases, so product release dates are irrelevant. The focus is on the timing of the disclosure of the vulnerability, and the potential evolution of stock prices between the date at which the vulnerability was known to AMD and the date in which it was revealed. More precisely, it refers to whether AMD informed about the vulnerability and its potential impact on the company's future profits in its financial statement (since by accounting rules any important information with potential impact on the firm's value must be reported, such as pending lawsuits and other examples i will remember tomorrow :P).

I don't know whether they have a case or not, though. I just wanted to clarify it because the OP doesn't explain well what the accusation is.

What are they specifically trying to accomplish by suing AMD exactly? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

12 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The lawsuit has nothing to do with product releases, so product release dates are irrelevant. The focus is on the timing of the disclosure of the vulnerability, and the potential evolution of stock prices between the date at which the vulnerability was known to AMD and the date in which it was revealed. More precisely, it refers to whether AMD informed about the vulnerability and its potential impact on the company's future profits in its financial statement (since by accounting rules any important information with potential impact on the firm's value must be reported, such as pending lawsuits and other examples i will remember tomorrow :P).

I don't know whether they have a case or not, though. I just wanted to clarify it because the OP doesn't explain well what the accusation is.

In a way, it does though.  The lawsuit refers to anyone "who purchased or otherwise acquired common shares of AMD between February 21, 2017 and January 11, 2018".  This seems - at least to me - to be referencing the launch of Ryzen.  However, the vulnerability wasn't disclosed to AMD until around June, so the dates seem odd, to say the least.

*EDIT*
Never mind, I see now that February 21st was the day of the FY 2016 filing for shareholders.  My bad.

Edited by Jito463
Clarification

Just now, leadeater said:

So the stock price went up and investors are angry? Is it just me or this makes no sense?

Maybe Intel is sponsoring the lawsuit.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Actually, AMD released a few more products such as Ryzen 3 and I believe Ryzen Pro after they were informed about the vulnerabilities.

But the lawsuit doesn't seem to be about launching productions while knowing they are vulnerable so that is kind of irrelevant.

52 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

What are they specifically trying to accomplish by suing AMD exactly? 

Same as with any lawsuit, to get lots and lots of money.

It's stupid and harmful to the entire industry.

Like I said in the Intel lawsuit thread, if these (talking about Intel, AMD or any other lawsuit which might happen because of Spectre) actually goes through and wins then expect lawsuits like these to become very common. It will happen basically every product launch.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Actually, AMD released a few more products such as Ryzen 3 and I believe Ryzen Pro after they were informed about the vulnerabilities.

But the lawsuit doesn't seem to be about launching productions while knowing they are vulnerable so that is kind of irrelevant.

It's stupid and harmful to the entire industry.

Like I said in the Intel lawsuit thread, if these (talking about Intel, AMD or any other lawsuit which might happen because of Spectre) actually goes through and wins then expect lawsuits like these to become very common. It will happen basically every product launch.

And then the only solution for Intel/AMD et al will be to release a full disclosure product statement that describes the fact security flaws cannot be guaranteed not to exist. 

Either that or in order for Intel/AMD to lose the case the court is going to have to decree that it is somehow possible for a CPU like product to be 100% flawless (perfect) by design.     We are in big trouble if that eventuates because it won;t just be hardware manufacturers but every software company on the planet that has had a security breach will be either a target or lining up a target themselves.

Personally I find the argument about product release/sales to be moot, all companies are told to keep operating as normal during such times. To stop selling something or to not release new products is at best unnecessarily reducing revenue and at worst a form of admission of guilt.   Even while legal action is pending the advice from lawyers is to keep trading as normal until the court orders you to stop.    There is nothing illegal about either AMD or Intel continuing the sale or release of new processors after they were informed of the bug.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Same as with any lawsuit, to get lots and lots of money.

Funny thing is that it would have hurt shareholders if they withheld products from the market. Their stock would drop if they canceled Ryzen 3 and Pro.

Another thing is that it's not necessarily a new product in the sense it's just the same chip being released in a different segment after being sorted at the assembly line.

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

So the stock price went up and investors are angry? Is it just me or this makes no sense?

Well, to be fair, whether it went up or down between two particular dates isn't relevant (the article does mention a "precipitous decline in the market value" as part of the accusation, but I think that just refers to the 1% drop in the period since the accusation bought stocks and the filing of the lawsuit). The issue is whether AMD knowingly misrepresented the value of the company in its financial statement by purposefully omitting relevant information from shareholders (hence why CEO and CFO are personally accused, so not clear AMD itself is being sued). To that end, it doesn't matter if the value is increasing or decreasing, but whether investors were mislead to expect higher increases / lower decreases (technically, all increases and declines are unpredictable by definition, but I digress :P), and more generally assess the profit opportunities of AMD wrongly. For example, an investor being aware of the vulnerability could have anticipated lawsuits against AMD that will hinder its profits.

In other words, yes: it is an asshole lawyer suing the company for not informing him in due time that the company would become a target for asshole lawyers :P 

PS: I checked the filing linked by @Jito463 and the relevant bit is priceless:

Spoiler

4. Throughout the Class Period, Defendants made materially false and misleading
statements regarding the Company’s business, operational and compliance policies. Specifically,
Defendants made false and/or misleading statements and/or failed to disclose that: (i) a fundamental
security flaw in AMD’s processor chips renders them susceptible to hacking; and (ii) as a result,
AMD’s public statements were materially false and misleading at all relevant times.

5. On January 3, 2018, media outlets reported that Google Project Zero’s security team had
discovered serious security flaws affecting computer processors built by Intel Corporation (“Intel”),
AMD and other chipmakers. In a blog post, the Project Zero team stated that one of these security
flaws—dubbed the “Spectre” vulnerability—allows third parties to gather passwords and other sensitive
data from a system’s memory.

6. On January 3, 2018, in response to the Project Zero team’s announcement, a
spokesperson for AMD advised investors that while its own chips were vulnerable to one variant of
Spectre, there was “near zero risk” that AMD chips were vulnerable to the second Spectre variant.

7. Then, on January 11, 2018, post-market, AMD issued a press release entitled “An
Update on AMD Processor Security,” acknowledging that its chips were, in fact, susceptible to both
variants of the Spectre security flaw. The press release stated in relevant part:

The public disclosure on January 3rd that multiple research teams had discovered
security issues related to how modern microprocessors handle speculative
execution has brought to the forefront the constant vigilance needed to protect and
secure data. These threats seek to circumvent the microprocessor architecture
controls that preserve secure data.
At AMD, security is our top priority and we are continually working to ensure the
safety of our users as new risks arise. As a part of that vigilance, I wanted to
update the community on our actions to address the situation.

• Google Project Zero (GPZ) Variant 1 (Bounds Check Bypass or Spectre) is applicable to AMD processors. We believe this threat can be contained with an operating system (OS) patch and we have been working with OS providers to address this issue. Microsoft is distributing patches for the majority of AMD systems now. We are working closely with them to correct an issue that paused the distribution of patches for some older AMD processors (AMD Opteron, Athlon and AMD Turion X2 Ultra families) earlier this week. We expect this issue to be corrected shortly and Microsoft should resume updates for these older processors by next week. For the latest details, please see Microsoft’s website. Linux vendors are also rolling out patches across AMD products now.
  • GPZ Variant 2 (Branch Target Injection or Spectre) is applicable to AMD processors. While we believe that AMD’s processor architectures make it difficult to exploit Variant 2, we continue to work closely with the industry on this threat. We have defined additional steps through a combination of processor microcode updates and OS patches that we will make available to AMD customers and partners to further mitigate the threat. AMD will make optional microcode updates available to our customers and partners for Ryzen and EPYC processors starting this week. We expect to make updates available for our previous generation products over the coming weeks. These software updates will be provided by system providers and OS vendors; please check with your supplier for the latest information on the available option for your configuration and requirements. Linux vendors have begun to roll out OS patches for AMD systems, and we are working closely with Microsoft on the timing for distributing their patches. We are also engaging closely with the Linux community on development of “return trampoline” (Retpoline) software mitigations.

(Emphasis added.)

8. On that same day, during an interview with Yahoo Finance, AMD’s Chief Executive
Officer (“CEO”) Lisa Su confirmed news that its products were susceptible to Spectre vulnerabilities,
stating: “to clarify, for Meltdown, AMD is not susceptible… we don’t have a susceptibility to that
variant. But with Spectre, AMD is susceptible.” (Emphasis added.)

9. On this news, AMD’s share price fell $0.12 or 0.99%, to close at $12.02 on January 12,

10. As a result of Defendants’ wrongful acts and omissions, and the precipitous decline in
the market value of the Company’s common shares, Plaintiff and other Class members have suffered
significant losses and damages.

Basically: the guy argues that he was mislead when AMD first said "there is “near zero risk” that AMD chips are vulnerable to the second Spectre variant", since later AMD revealed that "GPZ Variant 2 (Branch Target Injection or Spectre) is applicable to AMD processors. While we believe that AMD’s processor architectures make it difficult to exploit Variant 2, we continue to work closely with the industry on this threat", and a 0.99% drop in AMD stock followed.

The guy is suing over "near zero risk" vs. "difficult to exploit" as choice of words. Seems damn thin to me...

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

9. On this news, AMD’s share price fell $0.12 or 0.99%, to close at $12.02 on January 12,

10. As a result of Defendants’ wrongful acts and omissions, and the precipitous decline in
the market value
of the Company’s common shares, Plaintiff and other Class members have suffered significant losses and damages

This is where I feel the guy is going to have the biggest difficulty making his case.  A >1% decline in shares is practically a rounding error.  To call that "precipitous" is almost amusing in its ridiculousness.

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

(the article does mention a "precipitous decline in the market value" as part of the accusation, but I think that just refers to the 1% drop in the period since the accusation bought stocks and the filing of the lawsuit@Jito463)

2018-01-18_1344.png.8c90842762f78334b9e59a1d16b501c3.png

Stock regularly fluctuates more than 1% on the stock market on a daily basis, so I would not personally call a 1% drop "precipitous".

And I can't see how the 2nd definition would apply, given that they specifically said "precipitous decline" - AMD has no direct control over stock prices, nor does any company.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Well, to be fair, whether it went up or down between two particular dates isn't relevant (the article does mention a "precipitous decline in the market value" as part of the accusation, but I think that just refers to the 1% drop in the period since the accusation bought stocks and the filing of the lawsuit).

Yea because the person who is pissed off and filed the lawsuit, on behalf of everyone lol, brought shares based on unofficial news stories that AMD was not effected then lost 0.99%. That person was an idiot.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea because the person who is pissed off and filed the lawsuit, on behalf of everyone lol, brought shares based on unofficial news stories that AMD was not effected then lost 0.99%. That person was an idiot.

Agreed. Obviously I won't draw any full conclusions until this goes into court (if it doesn't get thrown out anyway). But to me, this seems like a stretch. I don't think AMD did anything particularly wrong, nor do I think they should or could have done anything much differently.

I think this guy's lawyer is gonna get rich, but he's probably just gonna end up losing money.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

2018-01-18_1344.png.8c90842762f78334b9e59a1d16b501c3.png

Stock regularly fluctuates more than 1% on the stock market on a daily basis, so I would not personally call a 1% drop "precipitous".

And I can't see how the 2nd definition would apply, given that they specifically said "precipitous decline" - AMD has no direct control over stock prices, nor does any company.

It's almost comical, 1% down is very common stock price fluctuation. I'm actually trading AMD stock right now and it's been in oversold territory as a company for a while. 

You've got big financial institutions that just made entry positions into AMD not too long ago as well, Goldman Sachs being one of them. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Image result for everyday we stray further from god

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

9 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Funny thing is that it would have hurt shareholders if they withheld products from the market. Their stock would drop if they canceled Ryzen 3 and Pro.

Another thing is that it's not necessarily a new product in the sense it's just the same chip being released in a different segment after being sorted at the assembly line.

Whether it is a new product or not is moot though anyway.