Apple to Contribute $350bn to the US Economy in Job Creation

PlayStation 2
Message added by SansVarnic

As mentioned by the OP this is not a political discussion so please refrain from doing so. 

Political commentary a discussion will be removed and diciplinary action taken. 

Welp, guess we can't have political debate so I'll just say it loud and clear: don't mention politics unless you're prepared to take the heat for it.

Sources: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/01/apple-accelerates-us-investment-and-job-creation/ and https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/17/apple-announces-350-billion-investment-20k-jobs-over-5-years.html

iphone-x-multitasking.jpg

Apple plans on investing $350bn into the US economy, bringing a lot of its overseas money back into the States.

Apple today announced a new set of investments to build on its commitment to support the American economy and its workforce, concentrated in three areas where Apple has had the greatest impact on job creation: direct employment by Apple, spending and investment with Apple’s domestic suppliers and manufacturers, and fueling the fast-growing app economy which Apple created with iPhone and the App Store. Apple is already responsible for creating and supporting over 2 million jobs across the United States and expects to generate even more jobs as a result of the initiatives being announced today.

Apple expects to create around 20,000 jobs in the United States within the next five years.

Apple also expects to grow their current US operations, growing their domestic partners by investing $5bn and investing money in the education field.

Why this was done? I'm not particularly sure but it seems to tie into them bringing back around $250bn of foreign cash back into the States.

In any case, neat that Apple's bringing back jobs. Hopefully this can spell a new-ish direction for the company after what I feel has been a pretty mediocre 2017 for them.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Thread Cleaned.

I should not have to say that bringing up political topics is forbidden especially when even slightly unrelated to the news at hand.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

probably replacing all those iPhone batteries because nobody knows you have to replace batteries

ill get my battery replaced in December.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Now if they also paid taxes... :P

Less they pay in taxes more they have to pay employees, meaning more employees make plus those employees have income tax which apple technically paying (coming out of the wage before it gets to the employee but still tax nonetheless).

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

3 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Less they pay in taxes more they have to pay employees, meaning more employees make plus those employees have income tax which apple technically paying (coming out of the wage before it gets to the employee but still tax nonetheless).

In an idealistic capitalist world maybe. Except in the real world that money just gets hoarded and stuck away in offshore bank accounts of a couple very specific high ranking executive employees and the top 8 or so primary shareholders.

Great, all for made in America. Hopefully they don’t increase prices as a result. 

Regardless its a good move for Apple. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Yeah I really don't think that's as big a factor as you think.

Apple currently already makes OVER $50 Bn USD in profit per year (That's after expenses, including payroll)

20151028_apple_profit_bi.jpg

Source:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-profit-by-year-2015-10

So, Apple doesn't need lower taxes in order to afford to hire more people or pay higher wages.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, LordTaco42 said:

Now can we get some innovative products and something a little more than a $1000 emoji machine?

It looks like more research is being funded to improve their Animojis.

Spoiler

2018-01-17_15-49-30.png.8fdc25b215bb1cb18ee03f19677a3091.png

It seems like most of these 20,000 jobs will be in the STEM field, so some education is needed to land these proposed positions.

25 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Yeah you have zero proof of this happening with Apple. Baseless claim that sounds like it came out of the wolf of wall street.

http://fortune.com/2017/12/28/apple-ceo-tim-cook-bonus-fiscal-2017/

Cook’s incentive pay totaled $9.33 million for the year ended Sept. 30, the Cupertino, California-based company said Wednesday in a regulatory filing. He also took home $3.06 million in salary and a previously disclosed equity award of $89.2 million, bringing his total payout for the year to about $102 million.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

lol - his "Salary" is $3m USD, whereas his "bonuses" are $99m USD.

IMO - An "incentive" pay should be a little extra to make you want to do a good job, not 3 times your normal salary.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's good to see apple investing in jobs money and employment money,   also local revenue money and money money. Tax money money money   with money monies money. money...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

In an idealistic capitalist world maybe. Except in the real world that money just gets hoarded and stuck away in offshore bank accounts of a couple very specific high ranking executive employees and the top 8 or so primary shareholders.

Isn’t what is happening here the opposite though? Apple moving money out of those offshore accounts and moving it into the US where it belongs?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

6 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Isn’t what is happening here the opposite though? Apple moving money out of those offshore accounts and moving it into the US where it belongs?

Yeah but how can we attribute those changes to the lower tax, when Apple was already making multiple tens of billions of pure profit every year?

They could have afforded to hire more people already. They had big enough profit margins.

So rather I suspect their motives are something else. Either this was a need they determined internally, or a good PR move, or some other reason. 

33 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So rather I suspect their motives are something else. Either this was a need they determined internally, or a good PR move, or some other reason

My vote does to giving China and their "Copyright/Patent laws" the middle finger.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

Do we know they are moving anything out of off shore accounts?  setting up shop on US soil is only a small part of the whole operation.

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

My vote does to giving China and their "Copyright/Patent laws" the middle finger.

Maybe they are learning from the whole gibson thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Yeah you have zero proof of this happening with Apple. Baseless claim that sounds like it came out of the wolf of wall street.

Show me any example where an organisation that has had it's tax burden reduced, increased wages as a direct result? And not just the CFO/CEO.

Fact is you wont be able to. Corporations' executives have something known as fiduciary duties to their shareholders, which means unless they can prove they'll make more money for the shareholder, by paying taxes, it wont happen (this is very similar to the concept of corporate social responsibility or the 'triple bottom line', but this concept relies on the consumer having perfect knowledge of the market, which is a flaw in the capitalist theory).

The Exec team will be able to argue for greater remuneration as they can show a % drop/saved from reducing their tax burden.

If you look at industry average ROI, and compare it to 'taxible income' that apple (and google and most tech giants), you can assume 1 of the following:

1. They are very poorly run (i.e. 8 billion in revenue versus 85mill in tax in Australia).

2. They are moving money around to reduce their tax burden.

2nd cleansing. Anymore and well this topic will be locked. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 1/17/2018 at 3:29 PM, mr moose said:

It's good to see apple investing in jobs money and employment money,   also local revenue money and money money. Tax money money money   with money monies money. money...

cash-money-bitches-12270146.png

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

Isn't that like 1/3 of apples cash because if I remember correctly they are one of the closes companies to 1 trillion 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Isn't that like 1/3 of apples cash because if I remember correctly they are one of the closes companies to 1 trillion 

It's not like they will be spending it all at once. No doubt, this will be over a multi-year process.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It's not like they will be spending it all at once. No doubt, this will be over a multi-year process.

Yeah I agree 

It would be cool to see how this effect the economy :D

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing