So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

(sorry to pick this nit, but it's chinese not japanese ._. ) (no biggie)

says they got it from reddit

what's SUPER interesting is that the geekbench upload was from june this year o_o

You're right, I didn't look at the script and was just focused on the stats.

We've been hearing rumors since early in 2017 about this mesh-up act. So it's not surprising.

This makes 3 in a row lol...

what if they bought all the Vega 64s and cut it up and slap that bitch on the CPU.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I'd love to see this tech in next-gen consoles.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

24 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

Isn't this a repost of this thread?

Not really, this contains actual info from Intel and AMD, lock the other thread keep this one. 

Just now, tsk said:

Not really, this contains actual info from Intel and AMD, lock the other thread keep this one. 

no, this info was already talked about in the other thread just not updated by OP

So the video... "Multi-Die Interconnect Bridge", isn't that just a fancy-pants adhesive strip? /s

I don't get it.  Business wise sure, but how is vega at low power supposed to compete with highend(or highest end) mobile offerings from Nvidia?  I don't think it can on perf per watt, or even just straight up perf.  It'll be interesting to see where this solution lines up and whats in the sauce.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So in the future I will have to be installing AMD drivers when I buy intel....I am going to have to go HEDT now just to have a stable PC. 

This is for laptops and NUCs.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

So the video... "Multi-Die Interconnect Bridge", isn't that just a fancy-pants adhesive strip? /s

I don't get it.  Business wise sure, but how is vega at low power supposed to compete with highend(or highest end) mobile offerings from Nvidia?  I don't think it can on perf per watt, or even just straight up perf.  It'll be interesting to see where this solution lines up and whats in the sauce.

There isn't anything preventing them from throwing a NVidia GPU on there either (except maybe an exclusivity contract with AMD). It's really not much different than when we used to have integrated graphics on the motherboards and in some cases some motherboards still do.

and thread #4....

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So in the future I will have to be installing AMD drivers when I buy intel....I am going to have to go HEDT now just to have a stable PC. 

Intel will be responsible for supplying the drivers for the Radeon GPU, though company engineers won’t write the original code. An Intel representative said they’re working closely with AMD’s Radeon business to supply “day one” drivers for new games, when those drivers become available. 

Looks like Intel will be building the drivers, that has me a bit worried tbh. 

Yo Intel, wtf man?

First you bash AMD for using "glue" even tho it's a great piece of engineering.

And now you use it yourself! What the hell...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Hopefully , they'll get dat intel $$$ . I'm unsure if this was a good call though , but that's one side effect of spinning off your gpu department into a separate entity ( yes i know RTG is still technically part of AMD ).

Although i do wonder who is fabbing those chips . Reworking GCN or Vega to work with intel's process tech would require a significant architectural rework , although i can't see intel using GF or TSMC for it either. And does intel even make HBM2?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I've merged the 3 topics on this story since one is always enough

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

make that 4 xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've merged the 3 topics on this story since one is always enough

Would be good if the OP actually was informative. Then again this is LTT forum. 

13 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Vega is actually very efficient at lower power and TDP. The reason Vega 56 and 64 run so hot is that there running at the edge of what Vega is capable of. Essentially, they are overclocked, going far beyond the most efficient speeds from the Vega architecture.

18 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

From what I've heard about the topic, AMDs architectures are better-suited for iGPUs than Nvidia ones. Not sure why though...

Efficiency of Vega for instance isn't that bad (look at Vega 56 power draw) but when it's outside of the optimal efficiency curve for this architecture like the Vega 64 (high clocks + more processing units enabled) then the power consumption goes through the roof.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Assuming perfect size to shader correlation, this little GPU might have about 1792 shaders, which would be Vega 28. Assuming. (Thanks to @Ryan_Vickers for the die size estimate) 

Assuming the HBM2 package is 7.75mm by 11.87mm and the image in the video is drawn to scale, yeah, this is the number :P