Canary shows what happens when you make what was once free features locked behind a subscription paywall

AlTech

Canary is a company offering home security video camera services.

They recently announced changes to their Free Service and under the new terms, existing Free customers will lose the Night Mode feature (not to be mistaken with Night Vision).

The backlash has been quite significant to say the least.

Canary, a connected home security camera company, announced changes to its free service last week that went into effect on Tuesday. Under the new terms, non-paying users will no longer be able to freely access night mode on their cameras nor will they be able to record video for later viewing. Night mode is a feature that lets you set a schedule for your Canary camera to monitor your home while you sleep without sending notifications.

On top of that, all the videos the company previously recorded for free will be converted into 10-second clips called "video previews." Essentially, important features are being taken away from users unless they're willing to pay $9.99 a month. People aren't happy about it, and they're airing their grievances on Twitter.

This is what Canary had to say:

Today we stream nearly 500 million video clips per day. Most Canary users rely on notifications, Watch Live, and their timeline images to determine what is happening in their homes or businesses, which means that hundreds of millions of recorded videos travel through our platform unwatched, making the system slower, and costing Canary a significant amount in cloud expenses. To address this, we have aligned all free users on a plan that provides Video Previews that are still maintained on a 24-hour timeline. We have also introduced a faster Watch Live experience that can now be enabled while Canary devices are set to Away or Home mode. Our goal with these changes was to maintain a highly-competitive free service option while enabling continuous innovation and new feature development for all users.

And users have not reacted positively to these new changes:

t1.thumb.PNG.19f81c6b34d18c1181b94f4199eace5e.PNG

t2.thumb.PNG.bfa961429a9081b47cacb0056e96dbc0.PNG

So yeah, It's sad that a once free feature is now paid for but did you actually expect it to remain free forever?

If a product is free then something is wrong. It either means A) You're the product or B) somebody will need to adjust their business strategy soon.

Personally, I'm not one to expect things for free. There's a difference between offering things for free, offering things for ludicrous prices and offering things for reasonable prices.

People have become too used to the idea of not paying for things and frankly it's damaging the industry.  Because when people have to actually pay for things, many are unwilling to.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/4/16426394/canary-smart-home-camera-free-service-update-change

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

if the terms of service were that the night mode is free then it should stay free for all existing customers as this is the contract they brought into and these new terms should only apply to new customers.

That looks like a clear violation for trading standards and would imagine that legal action will be brought up against them soon enough

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

It's bad business to create an unsustainable business model. It is worse business to not admit it, come up with a model that keeps you afloat, and have an open and transparent dialogue with your user base. Most would accept being grandfathered in for some things and needing to pay for other things to keep a company going. It is a better option than getting absolutely nothing when the company has to fold. COMMUNICATION is where these companies keep messing up.

I find myself counting the days when a company offers only a free tier and uses words like "lifetime."

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If a product is free then something is wrong. It either means A) You're the product or B) somebody will need to adjust their business strategy soon

or C) You bought a fucking physical product with real money, so it's not really free. the camera came with online features, which you're paying for with the camera itself.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I find myself counting the days when a company offers only a free tier and uses words like "lifetime."

So you want more companies to start using subscriptions for things?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

So you want more companies to start using subscriptions for things?

No. I'm just saying that when I see that combo, I know things are going to get bad. Meaning it's just an indicator of things to come for me personally.

This is why you should keep everything local and offline :P

The "cloud" stuff might sound good but this crap just keeps happening again and again. I don't have anything like this and i'm already sick and tired of it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

i blame the consumers for thinking that a cloud solution for security cameras was a good idea in the first place 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

It's bad business to create an unsustainable business model. It is worse business to not admit it, come up with a model that keeps you afloat, and have an open and transparent dialogue with your user base. Most would accept being grandfathered in for some things and needing to pay for other things to keep a company going. It is a better option than getting absolutely nothing when the company has to fold. COMMUNICATION is where these companies keep messing up.

Like that Synergy crap isn't it.

Your "Lifetime" is the the product you bought that's Synergy version 1. Not "lifetime" for all future Synergy products. Synergy 2 is counted at a new product.

What happened here is Canary did not account into the cost of running this free service, which they have to pay for themselves and then offer it "free" to their customers.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

9 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

if the terms of service were that the night mode is free then it should stay free for all existing customers as this is the contract they brought into and these new terms should only apply to new customers.

8 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

Most would accept being grandfathered in for some things and needing to pay for other things to keep a company going. It is a better option than getting absolutely nothing when the company has to fold. COMMUNICATION is where these companies keep messing up.

I think I'd have to agree ... I think if a company says something is free, it should stay free essentially forever.  If there's a chance something can't stay free forever, then they should say up front when announcing the existence of the product, that they will eventually charge for it.

Actually ... for example in cases of software, for example, if newer versions of things are being charged for, the older versions should remain available free, for those who don't need, or can do without, the newer features.  Similar concept with services, I think - leave the existing things free, and add paid premium services, DON'T "move" things FROM free TO paid!

The company should have released an announcement of the changes prior to implementing them, explaining why. 

I work in the Security industry and I can tell you that the cost of those free serviced are very expensive to maintain, it was going to implode eventually. 

Good move on the change but very poor on implementation ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

The company should have released an announcement of the changes prior to implementing them, explaining why. 

I work in the Security industry and I can tell you that the cost of those free serviced are very expensive to maintain, it was going to implode eventually. 

Good move on the change but very poor on implementation ...

There's a trap most companies run into when they're trying to scale. Any of the Silicon Valley spawned ones normally run into this. The "Free" aspect of their model almost always costs too much for the users they bring in. The issue is that, especially in items you've purchased, you expect the original "deal" to stick. (This isn't a bad thing, actually, as it makes an economy work.) Thus, changing the model is generally worse for a company unless it was well telegraphed early or the certain "free" aspects were only time-limited. 

The interesting part is YouTube is actually in the process of doing this, though for its Creators and not its End-Users and, as a result, is creating quite the constant drama because they're actually shifting to a White-list system.

People who bought the product on the back of having these free services as opposed to a competitor when in other aspects a competitor may have been better will feel screwed by these changes. If the services are not sustainable then there mistake was offering them for free in the first place. They should at least apologize in their statement

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

It's called a dog, and not one of those tiny purse dogs.

Best security system you can have, since the dawn of mankind.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

It's called a dog, and not one of those tiny purse dogs.

Best security system you can have, since the dawn of mankind.

Doesn't help if you take your dog to the park for a walk and someone robs you blind while you're out ;)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)