Intel's Coffee Lake Is Coming August 21st

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

The problem is that Intel has essentially killed a product line that's less than a year old.  If AMD did the same thing, I'd be just as upset with them.

I know, ain't it grand?  This is a great year for tech enthusiasts!

Those products are not going to just stop working or performing just becasue Intel are not making new products for them.

This seems to be an ongoing trope,  even If Intel released a chip tomorrow that outperforms the best current CPU and was half the price, that is not going to stop the current chip from working.  It is not "killed" "dead" or anything else.  

And before anyone says "you can't upgrade your CPU without buying a new motherboard".  So what?  there were only two people who were likely going to do that from the onset, everyone else was going to use their systems for the next 4 years then upgrade everything anyway.    Or you could swap to AMD and oh wait, you're going to have to buy a new motherboard to do that too. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm honestly a bit surprised that Intel didn't flip the '8' on it's side in the laptop graphic to make it an infinity sign...

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

I'm honestly a bit surprised that Intel didn't flip the '8' on it's side in the laptop graphic to make it an infinity sign...

i7-00700K? Great! Pierce Brosnan is going to get it on with the GPU...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I don't know that to think about Coffee Lake. At first the thing with the chipset. This is just confusing for the customers, I hope that they'll make it clear that you can't use them in older 1151 boards. Anyways the most important thing is performance. I could imagine that intel's new 6c i5s could be a threat to ryzen. 200+€ CPUs could be a choice between faster single core performance or SMT. But of course that is just one possibility and I don't want to guess the performance before we know how the new blue CPUs will perform. Of course all these rumors could be false. But keep in mind that even though there were leaks about 6 core i5s this doesn't mean that every i5 will feature 6 cores like in amds R5 lineup. This could end in a confusing naming scheme but come on, it's intel. They did so many controversal stuff in the last time.

But one thing I really hope is that R5s are still relevant after the release of Coffee Lake. To be honest I would really like to see amd being the go to CPU manufacturer for one generation because then maybe more people realize that intel CPUs aren't the only thing you can buy. I'm not an amd fanboy and I'm not an intel fanboy either, I just want everyone to pick their CPUs because of CPU, not because of the brand and I want competition between those two companies.

I think it's funny that amd CPUs are space heaters in the mind of so many people while ryzen runs cool and intel tells people not to overclock their overclockable kaby lake CPUs because of the temperature. xD 

Anyways. I'm a bit excited to see intels 8th generation, even though I don't want to buy a new CPU. And I hope that I won't regret buying an R5 1600. But on the other hand I'm already mentally prepaired for another controversal launch.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

21 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Those products are not going to just stop working or performing just becasue Intel are not making new products for them.

I didn't say "killed a product", I said "killed a product line", which is true.  After CL launches, there will literally be no rational reason for anyone to buy a 100/200 series motherboard or a SL/KL processor, unless they're buying it used/cheap or they're upgrading an existing system without replacing MoBo and CPU together.

If Intel had skipped KL on the desktop, then this issue would be moot.  The 100 series has had a decent run, and the 300 series would be a worthy replacement.  The addition of the 200 series and KL on the desktop just created a near useless product that has no upgrade path.

22 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

AMD did as well by not making a new architecture in all these years.

How does not releasing a new product equate to releasing a new product then terminating it less than a year later?  I don't understand what you're trying to convey here.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

I didn't say "killed a product", I said "killed a product line", which is true.  After CL launches, there will literally be no rational reason for anyone to buy a 100/200 series motherboard or a SL/KL processor, unless they're buying it used/cheap or they're upgrading an existing system without replacing MoBo and CPU together.

If Intel had skipped KL on the desktop, then this issue would be moot.  The 100 series has had a decent run, and the 300 series would be a worthy replacement.  The addition of the 200 series and KL on the desktop just created a near useless product that has no upgrade path after CL.

That happens to every product line.  Who would buy a 1150 socket or an AM3.  of course no one is going to buy it.  It's outdated.   It's not killed, just obsolete or outdated.  That is not a dirty concept. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

How does not releasing a new product equate to releasing a new product then terminating it less than a year later?  I don't understand what you're trying to convey here.

They did created this situation or are partly responsible. Also, I doubt KBL will lose tremendously to CFL except in scant scenarios. KBL should last as long as IB/SB did. 

24 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I doubt that CFL will overtake KBL/SKL by a huge margin. It also isn't likely that SKL/KBL will drop their performance in a few months or years just because hexa-cores are more common. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That happens to every product line.  Who would buy a 1150 socket or an AM3.  of course no one is going to buy it.  It's outdated.   It's not killed, just obsolete or outdated.  That is not a dirty concept.

No, it's not a "dirty concept", but it does seem a cheap trick from Intel to release a product that they'll stop supporting after less than a year (and before you misconstrue anything else, I mean 'supporting' as new new processors/features).  I don't understand what your issue is, as I've clearly explained my point is related to the short lifespan of the 200 series/KL, not to its being replaced.

Just now, Jito463 said:

No, it's not a "dirty concept", but it does seem a cheap trick from Intel to release a product that they'll stop supporting after less than a year (and before you misconstrue anything else, I mean 'supporting' as new new processors/features).  I don't understand what your issue is, as I've clearly explained my point is related to the short lifespan of the 200 series/KL, not to it's being replaced.

It doesn't matter if the product is viable for 6 months or 6 years.    How does  only being current for one year make it a cheap trick?  No one is being forced to buy older 1151 motherboards and 7th Gen CPU's when there is a new version just around the corner.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It doesn't matter if the product is viable for 6 months or 6 years.    How does  only being current for one year make it a cheap trick?  No one is being forced to buy older 1151 motherboards and 7th Gen CPU's when there is a new version just around the corner.

*sigh*

We'll have to agree to disagree here.  All I can say is, if AMD were to release Zen v2 next month - and it required a completely new motherboard and CPU to upgrade what I have - I would not be pleased, either.  This is not about hating on Intel, it's about disliking a specific practice that, at least to me, feels like nothing more than a money grab.

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

*sigh*

We'll have to agree to disagree here.  All I can say is, if AMD were to release Zen v2 next month - and it required a completely new motherboard and CPU to upgrade what I have - I would not be pleased, either.  This is not about hating on Intel, it's about disliking a specific practice that, at least to me, feels like nothing more than a money grab.

But the practice has no ill effects on consumers.  releasing a new socket/cpu/board does not make the last one stop working or perform less.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

But the practice has no ill effects on consumers.  releasing a new socket/cpu/board does not make the last one stop working or perform less.

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.  As I said, agree to disagree.  We just have different viewpoints on this matter.

5 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Huh? "after skylake" hasn't happened yet. We have just had 2 skylake refreshes.

Kaby says hello. Maybe I should be more specific--chips on the Intel side after the 6700k just aren't that great.

Welp, I guess I'll just hold off on my planned CPU upgrade.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

13 hours ago, GrayTech said:

I think it's funny that amd CPUs are space heaters in the mind of so many people while ryzen runs cool and intel tells people not to overclock their overclockable kaby lake CPUs because of the temperature. xD 

I seen something more stupid in FaceBook comments on PC-related group pages like "Intel is a Ferrari, AMD is a cheap Chinese knock-off of Ferrari that cost 10% of the original price, it's not going to be faster than the real thing". Uh hello?

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

I would want coffee lake just to say my computer runs on Coffee like me ;D

Main PC = I5 7600K @4.5ghz, Asus Gtx1070, 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz, 480GB SSD, Msi Z270 Mobo.

22 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

They did created this situation or are partly responsible. Also, I doubt KBL will lose tremendously to CFL except in scant scenarios. KBL should last as long as IB/SB did. 

Is, not did. Intel's 32nm process was amazing, most chips could reach 4.8GHz, 5+ GHz on golden samples. Given that most games are GPU limited those CPUs still are comparable with modern skylake chips although they are no  longer on the cutting edge platform wise. 

On 8/8/2017 at 0:01 PM, RollinLower said:

i would be really interested how those 6 cores compare to my current LGA 2011 6 core. would it finally be worth the switch, or am i good for another long while? :P

I'm trying to sell my x99 system fast :P

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

I need info for mobile covfefe lake! There was a leak slide a few months ago, showing 6 cores on mobile...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Byebye Ryzen. Intel are scumbags, but let's be real, Intel are far, far ahead in silicon quality, clockspeeds and miles ahead in IPC. I think the new 6c/12t i7's will demolish the Ryzen lineup, atleast for my purposes. I was going to do a Ryzen/Vega build but not so sure now.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

holy shit

fuck buying the new laptop

8TH GEN LAPTOP U/M3 HYPE 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.