FaceBook fined 122mil USD by the EU Commission

source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-facebook-antitrust-idUSKCN18E0LA

(BaqjsC4.png+Apps-Whatsapp-C-icon.png)/ec-logo-st-rvb-web_en.jpg=fight_logo_350.png

European Union antitrust regulators fined Facebook (FB.O) 110 million euros ($122 million) on Thursday for giving misleading information during a vetting of its deal to acquire messaging service WhatsApp in 2014.

Calling it a "proportionate and deterrent fine", the European Commission, which acts as the EU's competition watchdog, said Facebook had said it could not automatically match user accounts on its namesake platform and WhatsApp but two years later launched a service that did exactly that.

"The Commission has found that, contrary to Facebook's statements in the 2014 merger review process, the technical possibility of automatically matching Facebook and WhatsApp users' identities already existed in 2014, and that Facebook staff were aware of such a possibility," the Commission said.

the fine however does not reverse the acquisition FaceBook made, but it's a clear message the the European Commission is sending to all corporations to comply with the EU regulations and to provide correct information

why was FaceBook fined:

in 2014, with the What'sApp purchase, Facebook informed the Commission that they won't match existing FaceBook identities with WhatsApp's IDs - and yet, two years later, IDs were matched

the EU Commission launched an investigation and found that at the time, 2014, FaceBook was already able to match the IDs

122 million, what's that compared to facebook's declared earnings? It's a bit like charging microsoft a few million per day for not letting netscape navigator having a piece of the pie.

EU loves fining US companies. Im ok because I know they dont pay stuff all in taxes and I am not a shareholder

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

12 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

So this is how they pay for all these refugees

According to Fria tider, Sweden spent 14 times as much on refugees than on the military/defense in 2015. How much? About 5.3 trillion USD during that year. Seriously, I'm afraid of the consequences that this is going to have on economy. 

9 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

EU loves fining US companies. Im ok because I know they dont pay stuff all in taxes and I am not a shareholder

US states love fining and suing every company under the sun.

Just now, -TesseracT- said:

According to Fria tider, Swedistan spent 14 times as much on refugees than on the military/defense in 2015. How much? About 5.3 trillion USD during that year. Seriously, I'm afraid of the consequences that this is going to have on economy. 

ftfy

Welcome to the EU - you have free space? We'll fill it with refugees. 

Sweden is to become a third world country by 2030 due to this according to the UN.. 

idk

I have very little love for the EU, to me they seem to be as legitimate as the UN, one day they will do something useful and no one will want to listen. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

ftfy

Welcome to the EU - you have free space? We'll fill it with refugees. 

Sweden is to become a third world country by 2030 due to this according to the UN.. 

Dear sane person on the internet. I have no words... such stupidity... care to explain? source?

I can feel the indoctrination in the air. 

32 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I have very little love for the EU, to me they seem to be as legitimate as the UN, one day they will do something useful and no one will want to listen. 

You don't really have a lot of reasons to love them if we're honest. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Because some people are indoctrinated to defend their unelected EU masters. 

If the EU ever wanted to work properly it would have either stuck to being about trade or stopped expanding in like 2001.

@zMeul Why do you always capitalize the letters that aren't capitalized in Microsoft, Facebook and so on? :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 hours ago, -TesseracT- said:

US states citizens love fining and suing every company under the sun.

FTFY.

You underestimate the "Can i speak to your manager" haircut soccer moms

"If you ain't first, you're last"

58 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

@zMeul Why do you always capitalize the letters that aren't capitalized in Microsoft, Facebook and so on? :P

FaceBook, MicroSoft aNd So On

It's hardly a fight. It's an instant knockout to facebook. There is nothing they can do, other than shut down in the entire EU, if they don't pay up.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just a reminder not to turn political here, lest it be locked.

Talking about migrants and the consequences of war is that exactly.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Notional said:

It's hardly a fight. It's an instant knockout to facebook. There is nothing they can do, other than shut down in the entire EU, if they don't pay up.

That would be a big catastrophe for all the facebook zombies(or smombies for short)... :D For those who still have their brains it wouldnt be a big deal on the other hand.

@Energycore

I expect it to come up for a few times, even though politics are banned its starting to became a real life problem rather than political IMO...

Edited by jagdtigger

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

in 2014, with the What'sApp purchase, Facebook informed the Commission that they won't match existing FaceBook identities with WhatsApp's IDs - and yet, two years later, IDs were matched

and thats why i don't use facebook, to much spying..... although it's better than win10's spying....

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

10 hours ago, -TesseracT- said:

US states love fining and suing every company under the sun.

That's how we get people to follow rules. If you convince companies it's cheaper to follow the laws than to get sued into oblivion, they'll follow the laws. Kinda sad it takes money for people to be decent anywhere

These fines entertain me, sometimes I wish one of these companies would say "we aren't paying it" then just stop operating in the EU. They could stay in UK and the rest of the planet just fine I'm sure

4 hours ago, Notional said:

That would be amazing, EU.. give us Moneyzz. FB: No.. and keep asking we'll shut down FB in the EU and post on it saying its cause of you. EU: Do it, see if we care.

All EU citizens under 40.. The rich grandpas all sitting in the EU council just got us all locked out of facebook.. 

and than the riots started :P:P

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

10 minutes ago, Eaglerino said:

That's how we get people to follow rules. If you convince companies it's cheaper to follow the laws than to get sued into oblivion, they'll follow the laws. Kinda sad it takes money for people to be decent anywhere

These fines entertain me, sometimes I wish one of these companies would say "we aren't paying it" then just stop operating in the EU. They could stay in UK and the rest of the planet just fine I'm sure

Is there supposed to be an /s somewhere or is your comment just contradictory?

"To get people/companies to follow rules, they need a financial incentive"

"companies shouldn't pay fines for breaking the rules"

What?

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

That would be amazing, EU.. give us Moneyzz. FB: No.. and keep asking we'll shut down FB in the EU and post on it saying its cause of you. EU: Do it, see if we care.

All EU citizens under 40.. The rich grandpas all sitting in the EU council just got us all locked out of facebook.. 

and than the riots started :P:P

Although it will not happen (too much money to be made) I would love to see companies pull out of the EU just to see what the consequences would be. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Nice to see Suckerberg getting fucked :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Just now, mr moose said:

Although it will not happen (too much money to be made) I would love to see companies pull out of the EU just to see what the consequences would be. 

For me, I hate politictions, the fact alone that that is a job, all you do is get paid retarded salaries and "Represent" people.. Would love a company to do that just to show these guys they actually do not rule the roost. For me my ideal society is run as a company not as loyalty because of lines drawn in the sand. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

5 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

For me, I hate politictions, the fact alone that that is a job, all you do is get paid retarded salaries and "Represent" people.. Would love a company to do that just to show these guys they actually do not rule the roost. For me my ideal society is run as a company not as loyalty because of lines drawn in the sand. 

You've now become a moderator of /r/the_donald

Being ruled by corporations would be worse than by politicians.

Aaaaand this is getting political.