Fully Autonomous Fighter Planes?

WMGroomAK

Soooo, the US Air Force, working with Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks has made yet another 'improvement' in fully autonomous drone technology.  Previously, the USAF has been able to use F-16 fighter jet drones as target practice for the newer F-35's to destroy, however, their technicians have made a more advanced version of this F-16 Drone.  From an article on Hot Hardware:

http://hothardware.com/news/us-airforce-demonstrates-f-16-drone-take-out-targets-autonomously

...Now the Air Force has announced fully autonomous air-to-air and ground strike capabilities that it developed in conjunction with Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks. Talk about a 'holy hell' moment

"This demonstration is an important milestone in AFRL's maturation of technologies needed to integrate manned and unmanned aircraft in a strike package," said Capt. Andrew Petry, AFRL autonomous flight operations engineer. "We've not only shown how an Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle can perform its mission when things go as planned, but also how it will react and adapt to unforeseen obstacles along the way."

During the demonstration, an experimental unmanned F-16 aircraft showed how it can react to a dynamic threat environment during an air-to-ground strike mission. It planned and executed the mission on its own, deciding the best route and strategies based on mission priorities and available assets. The aircraft was also able to react to changing threats and adjust its course of action accordingly.

While this is really neat in the way that it removes pilots from the threat zone during combat operations in the same way as other UAV technology has done, this is implying that the computer is actually doing a lot of the planning, threat assessment and striking in these scenarios, which is definitely something that I'm hoping has been well thought out by the programmers...  

3 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

...this is implying that the computer is actually doing a lot of the planning, threat assessment and striking in these scenarios, which is definitely something that I'm hoping has been well thought out by the programmers...  

Hydra is real? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

So future fighter pilots will never get to experience, what it's like to be in the pilot's seat and feel the G-Forces. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So, a with a war without soldiers, where will the casualties lie next?

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

3 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

The same place they have always have. Wars are rarely ever solved by killing people. Instead wars are won and lost by money and resources. The easiest way to win a war is to make it too expensive for them to continue fighting.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

21 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

When terminators start popping up

6 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

Stealth_poster.jpg

Remind me that I need to rewatch this movie... I still have the DVD from when it came out 

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

35 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So future fighter pilots will never get to experience, what it's like to be in the pilot's seat and feel the G-Forces. 

just install a nvdia driver and you will get the 'g-force' experience

robo-wars but actual wars

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

soo... who else is waiting for one of these to go rogue and destroy a civillian area?

As opposed to now, where totally no civilian casualties occur, ever?

So how long till it gets struck by lighting, becomes self aware, goes rogue, then becomes emotional and becomes a hero and sacrifices himself?

Won't ever happen. Look at all the fuss and red tape being caused over driverless vehicles on the roads, now imagine arming those vehicles with missiles and setting them loose.

Yes I know its the military and they can sidestep some of the red tape but fully armed, pilotless and full sized aircraft flying around? Nah, no chance.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It's only matter of time this was going to be though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Does this really surprise anyone? The thing holding back most planes these days are the soft squishy humans in control.

8 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I want to see this:

This is better....

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |