Nokia wants to position its Android phones as the "new Nexus"

Nowak

Nokia-5_Angle_Detail.jpg?q=80

Sauce: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile-phones/nokia-8/24138/nokia-wants-make-its-android-phones-new-nexus-phones

Google’s Nexus line of phones is now dead. But Nokia, under the stewardship of HMD Global, could well bring back elements of what made Google’s Nexus phones so popular with users. Things like stock Android, fast updates and competitive pricing.

In a recent release, HMD noted it is putting in place a new strategic partnership with Google and Foxconn to further its gains in the mobile space during 2017/18.

While the Nexus line was almost never actually particularly cheap, it is fondly remembered by the Android community for being so. It's also remembered for running stock Android, getting the latest Android updates as they release and being directly supported by Google themselves. Unfortunately, it's been replaced by Google's Pixel series of phones, which aim to reach a more mainstream audience than the Nexus was ever intended to. While Nokia absolutely intends on targeting the mainstream audience, Nokia aims to also replicate some aspects of the Nexus experience. Remember their plans for their phones outside of the Chinese market includes stock Android and fast updates.

“Most of the smartphones in the market do not have the Android OS in the way it should be,” said HMD Global’s vice president for the Middle East and North Africa Per Ekman.

“Vendors are adding a skin on top of the OS. Consumers have the right to have the latest version of the OS, and we will be pushing the latest version and the patches as soon as it is available from Google.”

“We and Google will jointly enhance the Nokia brand to put the right kind of inputs into the phone, including Google Assistant,” he said.

From this, we can infer HMD Global/Nokia's strategy for Android pretty clearly. They believe that skinning Android is wrong, the customer is entitled to the latest version of Android and they will partner up with Google to enhance the Nokia brand, most likely based on current market trends rather than what their previous software provider, in their infinite wisdom, thought trends were. Oh, and Google Assistant is tagging along too.

Nokia’s current phones – the Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 – all run a pretty clean version of Android. But these handsets appear to be just the tip of the iceberg; HMD wants to get Google onboard to help push its Nokia agenda and that should be music to the ears of any Nokia/Android fan.

This particular route, if done correctly, could create quite a USP for the Nokia brand inside the Android space, as no other manufacturer has perfected getting Android updates out in a timely fashion.

If Nokia – either through its own blood, sweat and tears or via assistance from Google – can create a means by which to push Android updates out in a timely fashion, ahead of other players in the space, it would almost certainly find itself with a lot of new friends.

If HMD/Nokia can get Google behind its agenda, then that would likely provide a very healthy boost for both companies. It'll be a tough, uphill battle, but with a brand with such a legacy like Nokia can re-build even some of its former glory, this could revolutionize the way how we see Android phones. Also, keep in mind that updates are a huge point for Android as a whole; many phones get updates months or even a year after the new version of Android gets released, or they don't get updated at all (see: Asus, many cheap phones from no-name brands, etc).

Android updates – or, not getting them – is still a big stickling point for a lot of Android users. No one brand has nailed it yet. And this is mostly down to the nature of the Android ecosystem; Google’s partners are always focussed on what comes next, not supporting older handsets.

If Nokia can find a way around this, I will be very impressed. The only real question now is how it is going to actually do it?

And God knows Google needs another, more manageable Android partner; one that can be groomed and play ball. Samsung is Google’s biggest Android partner by a country mile, but the South Korean tech giant makes no bones about how much it wants to get away from Android and Google’s authority.

Oh yeah, there's also the Samsung problem. Samsung is, by far and large, the biggest producer of Android phones in the world, with a majority of Android phones sold being Samsung phones. However, it's no secret that they desire to ditch Android and Google. Tizen is what they're betting on to go ahead with that plan. Nokia, meanwhile, seems 100% committed to Android, and their vision for the operating system. Remember, the beauty of Android is that there's not one way to view it; sure, an OEM may skin it with their own launcher, but replacing that is as easy as going to the Play Store and downloading an alternative like Nova Launcher, Action Launcher, Evie Launcher, Arrow Launcher or... whatever else you want.

There's a huge amount of interest surrounding Nokia's first three Android phones, the Nokia 3, 5 and 6, and the company is planning on unveiling more devices later this year. Are you excited about the prospect of Nokia taking on the Nexus approach to smartphones? Let me know below :D 

If it's any sort of decent, I might get one to as a TV remote for my Vizio.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

now if they would allow us to unlock the bootloader and install rom's etc without voiding warranty they would have the whole enthusiast market behind them. the thing i've always found the most lacking with android, is that it should have something like restore bootloader so it reflashes the bootloader from a read only chip to the bootloader partition. this way people can't hard brick their phones, they can still give their warranty, and if they really want to they should use a fuse for overclocking so they can drop the warranty when people overclock.

Hail Nokia!

If what they claim here is the envisionment of a future they are not just planning, but settling for the quickest response as the products demand so from Google, maybe we will finally have someone that can make "Samsung and Apple fanboys" crying in the shores of a river.

Groomlake Authority

As long as the new Nokia lives up to its original name in quality nothing else holds a candle to it. Nokia for life. (Like literally Nokia lasts for life ...) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

As long as the new Nokia lives up to its original name in quality nothing else holds a candle to it. Nokia for life. (Like literally Nokia lasts for life ...) 

HMD is composed of ex-Nokia, ex-Microsoft staff and own all of Nokia's former technologies, so they pretty much are Nokia under a different name.

16 minutes ago, Daring said:

HMD is composed of ex-Nokia, ex-Microsoft staff and own all of Nokia's former technologies, so they pretty much are Nokia under a different name.

Yup I know, I was just sayin. :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I almost pissed myself laughing when I got to this part of the post:

many phones get updates months or even a year after the new version of Android gets released

Lmfao saying this like this is a good thing. The sad thing is, for Android, that IS good.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

good luck, many have promised the same, all have failed. Just put out with an unlocked bootloader, we'll do the rest.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I almost pissed myself laughing when I got to this part of the post:

Lmfao saying this like this is a good thing. The sad thing is, for Android, that IS good.

How was I saying that was a good thing though?

Just now, Daring said:

How was I saying that was a good thing though?

If you were trying to phrase it to clearly show it's a bad thing, it wasn't a particularly clear statement then.

When read along with the rest of the sentence:

many phones get updates months or even a year after the new version of Android gets released, or they don't get updated at all

There is some possible implication that because that some don't get updated at all, therefore getting an update "even a year after" is a good thing.

Apologies if that was not the intent of your statement, just how it reads.

My previous statement still stands of course. A year of updates for Android phones IS good for Android - even if that's actually very sad :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

If you were trying to phrase it to clearly show it's a bad thing, it wasn't a particularly clear statement then.

When read along with the rest of the sentence:

There is some possible implication that because that some don't get updated at all, therefore getting an update "even a year after" is a good thing.

Apologies if that was not the intent of your statement, just how it reads.

My previous statement still stands of course. A year of updates for Android phones IS good for Android - even if that's actually very sad :P

Ah. Yeah, it can be hard to pick up intended meanings of things through text.

Lets see it!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

18 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Removable battery PLEASE

Removable batteries are going away, unfortunately :\

Just now, huilun02 said:

Screw that I want a phone that lasts. Without having to send for replacement because its expensive and is a downtime in phone usage.

Then your options are limited.

Nokia lost all their reputation when they made a series of piss poor business decisions that took them from the biggest manufacturer of phones in the world to a subsidiary of Microsoft selling only Windows Phones.

They have a lot of work to do before they can get back to the top of the market again, I wish them well but I hope they don't try and force things based on a reputation they don't have anymore because that's not going to end well for them.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

How was the Nexus line not cheap? The Nexus 5 (the only one I ever looked at when it was new) was very cheap. The Nexus 5x was also pretty reasonably priced. Also the hardware generally wasn't supported directly by Google, you still had to go through the OEM vendor for that.

I don't see Samsung as a problem. They're a powerhouse and for good reason. They have very solid phones.

OEMs do a lot more than simply skin it with a launcher. They add features to Android that simply aren't there without installing a custom ROM, which most users simply don't want to bother doing.

I'm more excited about what the spec of the phone is. I hope they do tweak Android slightly, as there are simply areas of Android that can be improved upon. Add a huge battery, Pureview dual cameras, a 5.7" AMOLED screen and I'm sold.

On 2017-04-11 at 3:10 PM, SCGazelle said:

My Nexus 6P will always have a place in my heart that Nokia will never get close too

Hard to say that without seeing what the higher end Nokias offer, no? ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I just hope Nokia will come with a phone with fingerprint on the back, like the nexus 6p, or pixel for that matter, because that have turned in to a must have thing for me.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

How was the Nexus line not cheap? The Nexus 5 (the only one I ever looked at when it was new) was very cheap.

Nexus prices at launch:

Nexus One: $530

Nexus S: $530

Galaxy Nexus: $399 (not entirely sure on this one)

Nexus 4: $299 (8GB)/$399 (16GB)

Nexus 5: $349 (16GB)/$399 (32GB)

Nexus 6: $649 (32GB)/$699 (64GB)

Nexus 5X: $379 (16GB)/$429 (32GB)
Nexus 6P: $499 (32GB)/$549 (64GB)/$649 (128GB)

The Nexus 4 and 5 were outliers. Otherwise, the Nexus line fetched pretty premium prices.

1 hour ago, Daring said:

Nexus prices at launch:

Nexus One: $530

Nexus S: $530

Galaxy Nexus: $399 (not entirely sure on this one)

Nexus 4: $299 (8GB)/$399 (16GB)

Nexus 5: $349 (16GB)/$399 (32GB)

Nexus 6: $649 (32GB)/$699 (64GB)

Nexus 5X: $379 (16GB)/$429 (32GB)
Nexus 6P: $499 (32GB)/$549 (64GB)/$649 (128GB)

The Nexus 4 and 5 were outliers. Otherwise, the Nexus line fetched pretty premium prices.

There were 3 times they only had premium offerings, the rest were pretty mid range.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

There were 3 times they only had premium offerings, the rest were pretty mid range.

Nexus 6P 64GB and 128GB say hi :P 

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

Nexus 6P 64GB and 128GB say hi :P 

They were released at the same time as the 5x ;) Still had a mid range offering.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler