Microsoft just patented a fucking slider. Then sued Corel using it.

Syntaxvgm

https://www.eff.org/files/2015/12/28/patd554140.pdf

It's a zoom slider, and they patented the design of the slider. 

YVH2fUg.png
Yah that's it. Pretty much no description. 
ezhcZDK.png

Fuck yea Microsoft you claim what's yours. 

Oh, and the EFF picked this as the stupid patent of the month, which is their first design patent. 
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/stupid-patent-month-microsofts-design-patent-slider

Here's where it gets beutiful 
9LYOfGk.png
Yep. 

For the first time ever, this month’s Stupid Patent of the Month is being awarded to a design patent. Microsoft recently sued Corel for, among other things, infringing its patent on a slider, D554,140, claiming that Corel Home Office has infringed Microsoft’s design.

In the software patent infringement case against Corel, an overall reasonable case, one of the infringed patents is this fucking slider.
Here's the full complaint
https://www.eff.org/files/2015/12/28/microsoft_v_corel_-_complaint.pdf

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Don't know all of the background but that looks like a perfect rip of Miscrosoft Office....

It is. Like I said, it's an overall reasonable case, it's an interesting read.

Read the full slider patent though. Just, wow.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9LYOfGk.png

I just realized they actually used paint to make the patent complaint 

muh specs 

All parts black

People use Corel office programs?

Damn...

To be brutally honest, I couldn't care less if Corel were blasted out of existence.

they deserve it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

People use Corel office programs?

Damn...

To be brutally honest, I couldn't care less if Corel were blasted out of existence.

I didn't even know about Corel's office suite until now.

Okay, this program is ridiculous, it may as well be Microsoft Office with Corel "Whatever" written at the top instead of Word or Excel. Every single one of the icons is exactly the same, the layout is the same, it looks completely identical to Microsoft Office. I'm surprised that they didn't get sued over the design of the entire program, never mind a silly little zoom slider.

I agree that this is a stupid thing to go after Corel over but infringement is just that.

If Corel did a perfect copy then they are in the wrong and maybe they should pay royalty for it or work something out. If Corel made a slight change then no more issues.

Corel pretty much stole Microsoft's software and put their name on it, it looks like.

ffs wtf I got ninja'd for the third time this week.

Negative, Corel has been around for a long time, almost as long as MS Word.

This latest version does look quite similar so MS does have a right to complain. I don't know what Corel was thinking, they have the next best Word editor to MS in fact Corel's out did MS Office for a while there, though it was a while ago.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Its hard to make a term for Microsoft, unlike #fapple.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Its hard to make a term for Microsoft, unlike #fapple.

Well, you see, with the right intonations, Microsoft is a term in and of itself, if you know what I mean... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I didn't think anyone still used Corel Suite, and that definitely looks like a complete ripoff of Office 2010. 

BUT MS needs competitors, so getting rid of them isn't good either.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Well, at first glance the Corel software looked exactly like Microsoft Office 2010

That's what I thought too, it took me a minute to realize that isn't Office 2010.

For context, Corel has been fighting Microsoft because they could not compete with a better Office suit.

Corel has been taking to court Microsoft since the 90's for crap after crap after crap, instead of taking all that money and focusing on making a better software. So, now Microsoft is playing Corel game.

For context, Corel has been fighting Microsoft because they could not compete with a better Office suit.

Corel has been taking to court Microsoft since the 90's for crap after crap after crap, instead of taking all that money and focusing on making a better software. So, now Microsoft is playing Corel game.

I didn't know that.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

As I previously mentioned, I want to patent the concept of patenting frivolous and wide ideas with the sole benefit of an economical gain and not actual protection of any relevant products, just the idea of patenting for licensing purposes: I wanna patent the concept of patent trolling. And patent orcing too if you followed that discussion.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wonder how many stupid lawsuits we need to see before someone with an ounce of common sense invalides every single software patent in existence. Imagine how good the world would be.

By the way, all the non-solid lines in the image are not part of the patent. So it does not matter what the rest of the program looks like or even what the rest of the program does. If it has a slider that looks like that, with the plus on one end and the minus on the other, then Microsoft could sue you for all the profits you made on that program.

-snip-

Don't know all of the background but that looks like a perfect rip of Miscrosoft Office....

Probably why they sued Corel for the slider because they were unable to sue them for the design of the software?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD