Experiences with non-techies

7 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I got certified in Premier and promptly began creating news templates on an iMac with C2D's.

Mind you... That was top of the line when I did... Im getting old

I used a pre-intel Mac, I can't even tell you which software, but we animated frame by frame and pixel by pixel for some projects. I could have hand drawn things faster I swear! It was the era of Macintosh that was a beige block shaped tower, possibly PowerPC architecture, before the curvy towers. When the Macintosh logo was a rainbow apple man, that old.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I used a pre-intel Mac, I can't even tell you which software, but we animated frame by frame and pixel by pixel for some projects. I could have hand drawn things faster I swear! It was the era of Macintosh that was a beige block shaped tower, possibly PowerPC architecture, before the curvy towers. When the Macintosh logo was a rainbow apple man, that old.

Rainbow apple is early PPC or Motorola.

My first PC was an iMac G3. It was brand freaking new at the time (that dates me pretty well)

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

5 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

At least you guys have SSDs...

I used a Q6600 until 2017 for video editing. 

I was using a P7350 and 9400M until... Today!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

26 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Rainbow apple is early PPC or Motorola.

My first PC was an iMac G3. It was brand freaking new at the time (that dates me pretty well)

Well it was a good bit newer than my dads Apple IIC+, but certainly not OSX era. You know what, it may have been something similar to the Performa and not a tower actually. It was under a glass desk top at an angle you looked down through the glass at it (looks nice but shitty to use in practice). Maybe that was just the monitor and the tower was to the side, maybe some were AIO and some were towers. This was almost 20 years ago now.

6 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Congrats on the new PC!

New Macbook, actually. Im trained in Final Cut Pro moreso than I am Premier Pro ?

See bio for new specs

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

This was 2 years ago: The daycare that I used to attend had WinXP machines connected to the internet without anti-virus, in the hands of little kids. I had a copy of Malwarebytes on a USB, and I scanned all the PCs (which were IBM Thinkpads) and I found like 4000 problems on each laptop...Needless to say, they got rid of them 3 months later...Now that I volunteer at their sister company, I hate Win8....Usable but I still hate it.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I keep remembering random things.

You can literally reset any user account password on OSX from a certain version, idk which one though

My mom changed the admin and my password on our Mac Mini to stop me from using it, I changed it in recovery mode and she wondered why I could access my account. And I changed the passwords on a iMac in elementary school and left the password on a sticky note and the IT dept wondered how I could change the password...ffs why does a 8 year old know more than the IT dept

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

Spoiler

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

The IT team at my school hasn't figured out to set a BIOS password, so I have installed Windows 10 on three of the computers. The wifi password is also pretty insecure, so I connected them with a simple brute-force password attack.

Luckily our 1 person IT dept at my school knows what she's doing. When every classroom has at least 1 Mac and no one uses them...time to install Windows

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

The IT team at my school hasn't figured out to set a BIOS password, so I have installed Windows 10 on three of the computers. The wifi password is also pretty insecure, so I connected them with a simple brute-force password attack.

No no, install Linux, really confuse the IT dept!

14 hours ago, Kaloob said:

At least you guys have SSDs...

I used a Q6600 until 2017 for video editing. 

The ssd isnt used by anything except the browser lol... the machine's are all VM's running off a server :/

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

12 hours ago, Schnoz said:

This is pretty fake, I’m sorry to say...

1 hour ago, Juniiii said:

This is pretty fake, I’m sorry to say...

this thread in general is going off a cliff tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

17 hours ago, Derkoli said:

We have these "stone" PC's with i3-4160's and 2 or 4 gigs of ram in em, although only 2 gigs is available on the 4 gig's of ram.. although they have MSI motherboards and 120Gb samsung SSD's.

I had a PC with a i3-4160 until quite recently.

It's actually quite capable, however my system had 8GB of RAM

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

59 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

the older i3's are pretty nice if the system around them is kind of snappy.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

3 hours ago, Derkoli said:

the older i3's are pretty nice if the system around them is kind of snappy.

Yeah, my system had a Patriot Burst 240GB SSD (actually really good, MX500 for A400 prices) and a GTX 950. It was just snappy and upgrading to my Ryzen 5 didn't make it any more snappy

17 hours ago, Bitter said:

No no, install Linux, really confuse the IT dept!

Android to be specific.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

A girl from my class offered a random guy she apparently likes to register his finger print on her iPhone. Like talking about device security, lmao.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

3 hours ago, Kaloob said:

When I made that part list, I thought a RX 480 would pair well with an i7 6700K.

but it does, Skylake i7 is like a 8th gen i5 or Ryzen 5, and a RX 480 is GTX 1060 performance.

16 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

but it does, Skylake i7 is like a 8th gen i5 or Ryzen 5, and a RX 480 is GTX 1060 performance.

I had a gtx 280 with a fx 6300 :/

58 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Sony VAIO PCV-RX570

If it's so old, why does it have an RX 570?

Obvious /s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:35 AM, NunoLava1998 said:

When it comes to "should I replace it" the rule is "would upgrading it be half the cost"

I'm still using my i7-4770, because the only benefit to upgrading right now would be DDR4 RAM. I intentionally bought 32GB when I built it so I wouldn't need to upgrade it until another RAM tech has matured.

The business I currently do work for is trading up their i5-4xxx series laptops for i7-8xxx series laptops. Also nVidia is not offering driver updates to Kepler anymore, so if you're sitting on a Laptop Hawell system with a Kepler (Quadro Kxxx, Geforce 7xx) GPU, time to replace it. If you have a desktop, you're still good for a bit. 

People putting stuff on top of an electric baseboard ... seriously, why do people do that?:(

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

my school uses windows 10 iot enterprise (basically windows embedded) for their grand total of 2 editing pcs

dafuq

Spoiler

My school literally wasted 15 Million on a new school house that is already too small to fit all students from this and the neighbouring town, and it's not that it has any new features like a new Server room, Windows 10 (S) or that it at least looks appealing, no it's literally just a big fat block of concrete full with too small class rooms and unnecessarily huge hallways. And the worst part about all of it is that we already have 3 exsisting school houses in our and the neighbouring town that would all be big enough to fit all these kids. 

But no, you rather spend 15 Mil on a shitty building and not get oh for example new Laptops, PCs and a new Network infrastructure and don't forget to mention Windows 10 licenses ! 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.