Experiences with non-techies

42 minutes ago, Toolsofpwnage said:

I think this topic made it into this week's wan show

Yep, they don't really like it that much and Linus even thought of killing it a few times.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 1/17/2013 at 7:00 AM, Bob said:
RobbieX27 said:
People thinking they can download RAM....

If any one ever goes to that site they should have all of their internets taken away.

But what if you went there for the lols?

4 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Yep, they don't really like it that much and Linus even thought of killing it a few times.

They  mainly said they don't like it because its making fun of people that know nothing about technology, when the reality is that most people don't need to or care.

Tbh those 'my old relative doesn't know how to use a phone' aren't as funny as people who pretend to know that they know about tech when they know nothing, or refuse to take any advise or accept the fact that they are wrong and then go on to do something stupid.

12 hours ago, k.m.p said:

Tbh those 'my old relative doesn't know how to use a phone' aren't as funny as people who pretend to know that they know about tech when they know nothing, or refuse to take any advise or accept the fact that they are wrong and then go on to do something stupid.

There's indeed quite a difference between someone who doesn't understand tech but tries to get a grasp on it even if it's difficult for us and them, and then there are people who are clueless about tech but act like they're experts and shit. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, Schnoz said:

Someone should tell schools that even a small 32 GB SSD makes the computers almost new again. I once had to edit on a system with a quad-core i7. Not bad, but there were only 8 gigs of ram, one shitty, dusty cooler, and a fucking HDD.

If only kids knew how hard it is for a school to actually get purchases approved and how much money stuff costs when you're buying enough machines for all the labs.

If it weren't that hard the school system where I work would have much better technology. Unfortunately, I have a very limited budget and can only work through vendors with a state vendor contract, so I can't just order rando stuff off Amazon.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

1 hour ago, GilmourD said:

If only kids knew how hard it is for a school to actually get purchases approved and how much money stuff costs when you're buying enough machines for all the labs.

If it weren't that hard the school system where I work would have much better technology. Unfortunately, I have a very limited budget and can only work through vendors with a state vendor contract, so I can't just order rando stuff off Amazon.

i used to bash the region for garbage IT untill i learned how fucking awful of a deal they had signed with dell and that they were stuck with for i think 10 years

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

28 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

That's faster than my houses fiber!

That shouldn't be surprising.  Offices, schools and universities typically have far superior connections than residences in order to cope with having hundreds of users sharing it at the same time.

I don't know your particular business so can't comment on how they handle things, I was talking about how these things are normally handled.  It could be that is the lowest business grade plan available in your area, that head corp. just decided that there is a standard issue for most sites or something else.

14 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

There's indeed quite a difference between someone who doesn't understand tech but tries to get a grasp on it even if it's difficult for us and them, and then there are people who are clueless about tech but act like they're experts and shit. 

That I very much respect, often I find that when people ask for advise, the easiest people to teach are the people that are willing to think logically and try to understand, even when they know nothing. But people that think they know everything are near impossible to explain anything to.

On 5/12/2019 at 6:08 PM, k.m.p said:

They  mainly said they don't like it because its making fun of people that know nothing about technology, when the reality is that most people don't need to or care.

Which i find odd. Maybe it's a british humour thing but i can enjoy a good laugh at people doing dumb stuff without either of us taking it as me making fun of them. We all do dumb stuff from time to time. Just because there's very good reasons for us being so incredibly dense about somthing doesn't stop it being funny as well.

Which  isn't to say you can't go about things the making fun way, i sadly have a lot of experiance with that one as well, it's all about the way you approach it.

15 hours ago, Kaloob said:

The PTSD from my old 7559 lingers.

8GB DDR3L.

960M 4GB.

6700HQ.

5400 RPM FireCuda with 8GB of SSD storage. 

Guess what caused me to get pissed with the thing and sell it for my rig.

4GB DDR2

Geforce G100

Core2Duo E8500

7200RPM WD Green with 8MB of cache

my ACTUAL old PC ^

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

22 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

I'd rather have that 7200 RPM WD Green than that shitty FireCuda.

You do know the 7200RPM doesn't do any justice when it has 8MB of cache? 

It takes 3 minutes to start up the computer, then another 3-4 minutes before programs are usable.

This friend of mine from sol acts like he’s a big hacker, “I can hack your Xbox account, all I need is your email”, and he’s like “I hacked into Xbox, I connected to my pc and I was in the mainframe and shut my nword”... he FaceTimed me at 11 pm one night and asked if I could mod in some money for gta 5, I told him not unless he’s in pc then he started yelling at me saying why can’t I just get him a mod menu on his Xbox, anyways he says he’s just gonna buy it pc and get me to do it, then changes his mind and just wants fivem, so Heaney like imma go check the store on Xbox and see if they got fivem, like ??!!?. Anyways, I decided to pretend to take shower and never called him back.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, Koeshi said:

That shouldn't be surprising.  Offices, schools and universities typically have far superior connections than residences in order to cope with having hundreds of users sharing it at the same time.

That reminds me, So back in 1998, not gonna shame the college for this, but it was under the previous BC NDP government in a small city. We got an upgrade from what was a 56K line for the entire campus to something at least T1 around December. Remember 1998. Nobody in the city had anything better than 56K dialup, Shaw would not offer cable modems for two more years, and Telus didn't offer DSL at all at the time, and wouldn't even offer to install ISDN lines if you asked for it.

So when I first went to the college, the Windows 98 lab was running obsolete AV software, and every machine was infected with Win95CIH (IIRC). Now how did I discover this and not the IT staff? Because, over the painfully slow 56K line, I managed to update the AV software, and yeah, you know where this story is going. This lab was used for the new program I was in and I couldn't get anyone to listen. Another machine in the Win98 lab had someone's piracy server on it, and the name was familiar but I wasn't interested in it so much as resolving the virus problem. Did it get resolved? I will never know. But if you know what the CIH virus does, I can imagine what happened four months later to the 98 lab.

The NT lab was different though, The NT machines did not have any viruses on them, so I felt comfortable using them, but they were also using Java 1.0.2 and the books they had us buy were for Java 1.1. The teachers for all of these classes were just, not knowledgeable to teach the classes they were being paid to teach. 

Which is why I have to emphasize to people that you do not need to go to college/university if you just want to work on computers. There is nothing holding you back from learning it yourself. If one is genuinely interested in programming difficult things that are of a research variety (eg AI, Robotics, DSP's, computer vision), then yes go take computer science. But understand that if the teacher sounds like they don't know what they are doing, that speaks loudly about the competency of the entire department.

You know those times where you're trying to correct misinformation? 

And the other party then resorts to the political insults deck of cards.....

I guess when they start doing so, you've already won 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I finally found a LTT fan at my school that isn't completely annoying. I was working on a class project (writing poetry, so I just decided to write mine about Linus and tech). We had to share poems with each other, I gave him my really cringey one about tech support. Blah blah blah blah

Later he sent me a bunch of Linus Face memes

isn't there a subreddit called LinusFaces or something?

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 5/13/2019 at 10:23 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

i used to bash the region for garbage IT untill i learned how fucking awful of a deal they had signed with dell and that they were stuck with for i think 10 years

Fortunately, my district doesn't have such a deal. We buy what we need when we need it. However, the problem is that our budget also comes from the same pool of money as payroll, books, supplies, maintenance, upkeep of buildings and grounds, etc., etc., etc. We're not a town rolling in money, so it is what it is. We got the kids from 2nd grade up HP 11" Chromebooks that are fantastic for what they're doing, so it's a step in the right direction. We're working on getting computers for programming classes and I'm going to be teaching a course in rudimentary audio production, so I'll be getting some machines for that, too.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

On 5/13/2019 at 4:46 PM, Schnoz said:

At least an SSD or SSHD. I'm not saying you need a gayming i7,  but even an old i3 with at least a fucking ssd in place of a hard drive is better.

When you're buying 400 computers an SSD will balloon the total expenditure. It's either hard drives or less computers for kids that are pushing the envelope playing Microsoft Excel.

Just now, GilmourD said:

When you're buying 400 computers an SSD will balloon the total expenditure. It's either hard drives or less computers for kids that are pushing the envelope playing Microsoft Excel.

1TB HDDs are 40$ and 120GB SSDs are 20$.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:27 AM, Mr. horse said:

My works internet is 200/200 direct fiber, and almost no one is ever on it. :D

We're upgrading from 1Gb LightPath to 2Gb LightPath in the school district where I work. The 1Gb is already tons better than the 500Mb FiOS we used to have.

Now, mind you, that's for the entire district of 700 employees and 4800 students.

1 minute ago, GilmourD said:

We're upgrading from 1Gb LightPath to 2Gb LightPath in the school district where I work. The 1Gb is already tons better than the 500Mb FiOS we used to have.

Now, mind you, that's for the entire district of 700 employees and 4800 students.

upgrading from 180kb/s to 360kb/s

3 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

1TB HDDs are 40$ and 120GB SSDs are 20$.

When you're buying parts, sure. Do you really think a four-guy team is going to build 400 machines in between regular district maintenance, support tickets, and quarterly district testing which is all computerized now? I mean, if you want to volunteer to help, sure, but how many systems do you think you can build out in a day?

You know, I feel like this thread lost the plot. I thought it was supposed to be techie experiences dealing with non-techies.

1 minute ago, GilmourD said:

When you're buying parts, sure. Do you really think a four-guy team is going to build 400 machines in between regular district maintenance, support tickets, and quarterly district testing which is all computerized now? I mean, if you want to volunteer to help, sure, but how many systems do you think you can build out in a day?

3 months for the 400

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

upgrading from 180kb/s to 360kb/s

There needs to be a crying reaction for posts like this.