What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia
On 11/01/2018 at 4:17 PM, stateofpsychosis said:

I was an apple fan way back in the late 80's, early 90's when we had the Apple II and then the Macintosh.

They were really cool and good for their time back then...

These days though, 

all they care about is aesthetics.

Even if a mac has a decent CPU/GPU, it's going to be completely kneecapped by the lack of any decent cooling solution.

That's the cost of making everything thinner and thinner.

Now they're just fancy pants facebook machines to me.

With that said though, I still love retro macs.

Apple has ALWAYS cared about aesthetics (and simplicity).

On 11/01/2018 at 4:37 PM, BarackOBatman said:

Anti Consumer.

High price for same specs.

Bad case of planned obsolescence. (not that other manufacturers are all that much better)

As an educated consumer, I prefer a product which I can take full control of and customize at a deeper level. For those who don't care or don't have the time to learn more about their device, Apple makes more sense.

What planned obsolescence? Slowing down phones with degrading batteries isn't "planned obsolescence".

5 minutes ago, Wano1997 said:

What planned obsolescence? Slowing down phones with degrading batteries isn't "planned obsolescence".

Yea, but they used to care a lot about hardware too.

Right up until the performa macs came out and Steve Jobs was actually fired from apple at the time. He was actually fired for dragging his feet on that while trying to make sure the hardware was up to his standards.

It's been downhill in that regard ever since even after Jobs came back.

On 12/6/2017 at 2:54 PM, <Aleks> said:

iPhone X  costs a grand compared to 600 for slightly better performance and non-expandable storage, less IO ports.  

I'm not going to mention AIOs as I know nothing about them because let's face it a desktop and a monitor is better.

The iPhone X follows what I call, "Rolls Royce Logic". There is no way you could ever argue that a Rolls Royce is worth 3X as much as a Mercedes S550, or twice as much as a S600 Maybach. The people who buy a Rolls Royce are people who have had S classes, or in this case the $600 phones, the people who buy Rolls Royces or iPhone Xs are willing to pay a bunch more for that tiny little bit of improvement, but you can no way say it's worth it.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

The iPhone X follows what I call, "Rolls Royce Logic". There is no way you could ever argue that a Rolls Royce is worth 3X as much as a Mercedes S550, or twice as much as a S600 Maybach. The people who buy a Rolls Royce are people who have had S classes, or in this case the $600 phones, the people who buy Rolls Royces or iPhone Xs are willing to pay a bunch more for that tiny little bit of improvement, but you can no way say it's worth it.

Well, I can't judge on that. I buy stuff all of the time that I don't need for my PC just to feed the addiction :P

24 minutes ago, Wano1997 said:

Actually it is. That's why Apple got sued. The court considered it criminal planned obsolescence.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Just now, BarackOBatman said:

Actually it is. That's why Apple got sued. The court considered it criminal planned obsolescence.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

I mean, people have reasons.

Having to install suicide nets around one of your workplaces? What other company has to do that?

5 hours ago, BarackOBatman said:

There's a difference between someone suing Apple, and Apple being guilty. And there's a further difference of being guilty for failing to inform users/throttling performance and planned obsolescence. The claim of planned obsolescence doesn't make sense given that only the non-plus models are affected; if it was planned obsolescence then all models would be throttled, including the 5, 5c, and 5s, regardless of their battery condition. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

41 minutes ago, ExplosiveSloths said:

I mean, people have reasons.

Having to install suicide nets around one of your workplaces? What other company has to do that?

Any other tech company that also uses Foxconn, which is basically all of them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

• 6 months later...

I say all of this knowing that not ALL people hate apple but it is a very common trait among our community

I find it really annoying when people say they are anti-apple for the most BS reasons like if you can't give an actual reason to be anti-apple, then don't, they aren't this evil company that wants the downfall of everyone, they make some amazing products, and have done some amazing innovation (they did make the smartphone), and I'm not an apple fanboy, far from it. I carry a pixel 2 and think it is many times better than any iPhone, but that's my personal taste,  I say all of this because of this  that I find apple fanboys annoying af also, I think what Louis Rossman said that when an apple fanboy says they are the problem and Apple isn't is also very annoying, but I am saying all of this because I got some much hate for saying on another forum page that I really wanted a MacBook Pro. I say all of this out of love, I love the computer building community, we are some of the most  passionate communities, but from the outside we look like a bunch of assholes, bc it seems like we hate almost every other community other than ours, for example, Apple, counsels, non-android, people who buy pre-built systems. I want this community to grow, but it just doesn't look very appealing from the outside. Sorry if this seems really hateful, I just wanted to address this. so Thanks for reading!   

Apple's modus operandi is totally different than other companies. The premium is for it's name, design and OS.

Many people only like to compare the specs, thus the reason why they always say "Crapple selling expensive underpowered pc's"

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

There's a number of reasons people express their disdain on Apple, but honestly, a lot of it is vitriol rather than comprehensive reasoning.

I don't particularly fanboy over them, for a number of reasons.

1. This one's a big one for me; integrating into the ecosystem well just guts you, so if you don't have the money to really make good use of macOS and iOS, it's just not worth the entry.

2. Business practices. I'll admit it, Apple's business practices are dubious and I'm not in favor of them. That being said, most big tech have very dubious practices and, well, we can't just burn one at the stake and leave everyone else alone.

But here, it's a lot more of a circlejerk mentality rather than actual reasoning.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, mikedrewsmy said:

Apple's modus operandi is totally different than other companies. The premium is for it's name, design and OS.

Many people only like to compare the specs, thus the reason why they always say "Crapple selling expensive underpowered pc's"

They are overly stupid expensive, and a fashion accessory in most cases.

@CallOfSnowgolem. they also didn't create the smartphone. They were the 1st to popularize it.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

10 minutes ago, CallOfSnowgolem. said:

I say all of this knowing that not ALL people hate apple but it is a very common trait among our community

I find it really annoying when people say they are anti-apple for the most BS reasons like if you can't give an actual reason to be anti-apple, then don't, they aren't this evil company that wants the downfall of everyone, they make some amazing products, and have done some amazing innovation (they did make the smartphone), and I'm not an apple fanboy, far from it. I carry a pixel 2 and think it is many times better than any iPhone, but that's my personal taste,  I say all of this because of this  that I find apple fanboys annoying af also, I think what Louis Rossman said that when an apple fanboy says they are the problem and Apple isn't is also very annoying, but I am saying all of this because I got some much hate for saying on another forum page that I really wanted a MacBook Pro. I say all of this out of love, I love the computer building community, we are some of the most  passionate communities, but from the outside we look like a bunch of assholes, bc it seems like we hate almost every other community other than ours, for example, Apple, counsels, non-android, people who buy pre-built systems. I want this community to grow, but it just doesn't look very appealing from the outside. Sorry if this seems really hateful, I just wanted to address this. so Thanks for reading!   

We all hate apple because we know their pcs are piece of plastic with some silicone.

I doubt this thread will be open for much longer....

But I don't hate Apple. I hate a few things they do, but right now I think they are doing a much better job on the software front than Microsoft or Google. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Noctus said:

They are overly stupid expensive, and a fashion accessory in most cases.

@CallOfSnowgolem. they also didn't create the smartphone. They were the 1st to popularize it.

I'd argue that they created the modern smartphone. You're not gonna feel at home using a smartphone older than the iPhone, but you'll feel right at home, if not a bit more constricted, with the original iPhone and iPhone OS. Yes, that's what it was originally called.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

It's part their business practices, and part the way their cult following behaves. If you look at what all the I would say "pro" Apple news outlets said about the whole iMac Pro fiasco, you will understand. That's why I like Snazzylabs. He's an Apple fan clearly since he's been using almost exclusively Apple products for the last 10 years, but he's not shy to point their faults. Whereas "pro" Apple new outlets deny any issues no matter how plainly obvious they are. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I doubt this thread will be open for much longer....

But I don't hate Apple. I hate a few things they do, but right now I think they are doing a much better job on the software front than Microsoft or Google. 

A flame war awaits

People don't hate Apple because of the OS. People think they hate Apple because of cost, but a full blown gaming PC can easily cost the same if not more to higher spec'd Mac. What people usually hate on is the smugness some of the fanbase (people who take PCMR  serious are also just as cringe) and the products being hard to service. If I spent 2k on a highly spec'd machine, I don't like the idea of things being held together by glue.

Apple makes amazing kit, but some of the decisions are questionable after Jobs died.

I agree, the whole not being able to upgrade is dumb, but apple isnt the only one, correct ( I dont know the answer to that)

They charge too much money for systems without essential features that break and are not repairable

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

People don't hate Apple because of the OS.

Well...

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

give an example, I'm not saying that to disprove you, I'm just wondering, bc to me they seem decent, the iPhones i get they are overpriced (the reason I have a pixel 2)