What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia

in my opinion apple isn't bad, its just not equally as good for gaming as pc's with windows. and then we still have the price range, its way too expensive for the parts that apple uses.

6 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I would not judge based on simple comparisons. There are major distinctions unique to the Macs which set them apart.

What's unique in Apple products is far, far less than what is missing.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

What's unique in Apple products is far, far less than what is missing.

What are they missing? 

On 12/6/2017 at 11:47 PM, Princess Cadence said:

You don't hate on Apple, you hate on who buys Apple without researching enough to know there's something much better value just around the corner.

No i do not hate them until they try to convince me that apple is the best i can get on my phone and PC. And if i say no thank you my linux PC is much better, faster, safer and my linux phone (Real linux Sailfish os not that fucking android/google) is like that too they try to laugh at me. But when i dive into details they often disappear from the internet :D

Overall i hate that noobs that say that apple invented this, apple invented that, iphone is better at... and so on. Oh and also i do not hate apple! If i could sell my things 10x the price to these kind of stupid ass, fool people i would do it!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

23 hours ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

I have no idea how did a simple question spanned a 14 page discussion  

That's because it's not a simple question, and there's no one straightforward answer to this. That's what makes Apple so polarising. On one hand, you have a small group of devoted users for whom Apple's products are an ideal fit for, and so they are happy using these Apple products which work so well for them, and don't mind forking out the premium. Then you have the other group who see Apple as purveyors of overpriced hardware designed to lock you into their ecosystem, with dickish moves like removing the headphone jack and using all manner of proprietary standards that don't play well with other brands. 

And neither side is wrong. That's what makes Apple so amazing and so irritating, depending on which side of the fence you are on. 

3 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

Probably already posted somewhere in this thread. But yeah. This shit.

The removal of features for no reason, their incessant locking of things that should be extremely easy behind the premise of "muh security", their premium prices for the absolute trash you get and their predatory practices after you've bought your product. 5GB iCloud storage? You fucking serious? Google outplays you there. Woops, your phone died on the way home from the store? Well, shit, we don't do "dead on arrival", because our products are so perfect and we're absolute cunts and will give you a refurbished unit instead.

doubt ful that is  new post someone would have had to edit there post and I am not going to look through all 12 pages so your probably first

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

32 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

Probably already posted somewhere in this thread. But yeah. This shit.

It is more secure, and there is literally no advantage for Apple to implement that other than for increasing security -- it's not going to increase their sales as no one is going to buy a Mac on the off chance that there iMac Pro gets bricked, and it's not going to make it more user friendly as it's harder to rectify a problem. Literally, the only advantage for any party is security. 

The removal of features for no reason, their incessant locking of things that should be extremely easy behind the premise of "muh security", their premium prices for the absolute trash you get and their predatory practices after you've bought your product. 5GB iCloud storage? You fucking serious? Google outplays you there.

Not all Apple products carry a price premium -- the iMac Pro for example.

Some aspects definitely are overpriced -- their upgrades are stupidly expensive and iCloud accounts really should come with more than 5gb of cloud storage, but 50gb is a whole $0.99/month (iCloud is actually very comparable to Google Drive), so it's not exactly the end of the world. 

iCloud:                Google Drive

Free     |    5GB                       15GB

$0.99   |   50GB                         x

$1.99   |      x                         100GB         

$2.99   |   200GB                       x

$9.99   |    2TB                        1TB

$99.99 |      x                          10TB

Woops, your phone died on the way home from the store? Well, shit, we don't do "dead on arrival", because our products are so perfect and we're absolute cunts and will give you a refurbished unit instead.

You do realize that's how almost any RMA works regardless of the company.....right?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

While I do like the fact that Apple sells refurbished machines. I have never understood the practice of getting a refurb to replace a brand new machine if there is a fault. We don't really have that practice here in New Zealand unless it is something special or an industrial item. Consumer laws have it where generally if you make a warranty claim the item is replaced with a brand new one.

On 12/6/2017 at 12:32 PM, rawrdaysgoby said:

Why? I don't understand? someone explain? is the only thing you hate is the lack of customization? or that they do things that you don't approve of?

Look at this:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8710&idPhone2=8858

I was comparing the Essential PH-1 phone to the iPhone X and found out that the PH-1 had better hardware such as a better processor with more ram and an actual 3.5mm headphone jack and a better battery. And on top of that the PH-1 is around 500 US Dollars compared to the iPhone X's 1000. Half the cost for better hardware and an open source customizable operating system without unnecessary barely working motion controls that are more of a nuisance than otherwise. The only thing you pay for when you buy an iphone is the brand name and popularity from all of the ignorant high school and younger "chicks" who only need their phone to take pictures of everything that is made of matter and post it on social media.

Because they exploit workers, pushy shitty hardware as great, bought out a shit load of nan flash and D Ram bringing up the prices, don't pay taxes anywhere near were there they should be act like they are creating creating the next big thing when they aren't, they use there own proprietary media, no SD expansion, and they treat customers like shit

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 hours ago, SgtBot said:

Look at this:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8710&idPhone2=8858

I was comparing the Essential PH-1 phone to the iPhone X and found out that the PH-1 had better hardware such as a better processor with more ram and an actual 3.5mm headphone jack and a better battery. And on top of that the PH-1 is around 500 US Dollars compared to the iPhone X's 1000. Half the cost for better hardware and an open source customizable operating system without unnecessary barely working motion controls that are more of a nuisance than otherwise.

The only thing you pay for when you buy an iphone is the brand name and popularity from all of the ignorant high school and younger "chicks" who only need their phone to take pictures of everything that is made of matter and post it on social media.

The A11 smashes the SD 835 and RAM isn't comparable between different OSs.

The PH-1 has a headphone jack, a larger battery, and is $500. The iPhone X has a much better CPU, better camera, water resistance, wireless charging, and an OLED screen (neither better or worse). So, half the cost for most of the performance, but it also depends where your priorities lie. All flagships carry a stupid price premium, and Apple is certainly no exception. The motion controls (gestures) work perfectly, clearly someone is bitching about a product they have never even touched.

No, you buy the iPhone if you prefer iOS, want the better CPU (not that it's particularly relevant since an SD 835 is enough anyway), want to get updates for more than two years, water resistance, fast charging, and/or want a better camera.

On top of all of that, there's also a lot more to it than just raw specs. From @Suika who has used the Essential PH-1, iPhone, and is now on a Pixel 2XL I believe.

Also never mind on that Essential Phone. As I started comparing it to my iPhone I noticed display stuttering and an overall odd experience with bone stock Android that I can no longer get over. Great battery, good display with a cool effect, but it’s been 2-months and users still report stuttering? The stock camera app has made no improvements while a user can port over a different camera app and fixes the primary issues? Oreo still isn’t available when there’s only two custom apps? The phone reminded me how much I miss the premium Android experience, but it’s not the device I can get it with. Honestly think I’d rather buy a used Pixel XL... or bite my tongue and finance a Pixel 2 XL. 

2 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Because they exploit workers

pushy shitty hardware as great

bought out a shit load of nan flash and D Ram bringing up the prices

don't pay taxes anywhere near were there they should be

Apple isn't exactly alone in that, Foxconn manufacturers basically everything for everyone.

What Apple hardware is shitty? You can argue that certain products are overpriced, but it's far from being shitty. Unless you're referring to GPUs, in which case they're not targeting gamers, so a dGPU is irrelevant. 

So you're blaming them for buying the components required to make their devices....I get that. (They're also not alone in buying up DDR4)

Again, you're blaming them for taking advantage of tax laws that governments put in place in order to encourage businesses to do business in their areas? Just recently local governments were bidding against eachother as to who would give Amazon the biggest break to decide where a new major office would go. Tax loop holes exist to be used; they should be closed, but you can't blame a company or an individual for taking advantage of them (hell, that's 80% the purpose behind accountants/tax attorneys).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

39 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The A11 smashes the SD 835 and RAM isn't comparable between different OSs.

The PH-1 has a headphone jack, a larger battery, and is $500. The iPhone X has a much better CPU, better camera, water resistance, wireless charging, and an OLED screen (neither better or worse). So, half the cost for most of the performance, but it also depends where your priorities lie. All flagships carry a stupid price premium, and Apple is certainly no exception. The motion controls (gestures) work perfectly, clearly someone is bitching about a product they have never even touched.

No, you buy the iPhone if you prefer iOS, want the better CPU (not that it's particularly relevant since an SD 835 is enough anyway), want to get updates for more than two years, water resistance, fast charging, and/or want a better camera.

On top of all of that, there's also a lot more to it than just raw specs. From @Suika who has used the Essential PH-1, iPhone, and is now on a Pixel 2XL I believe.

Apple isn't exactly alone in that, Foxconn manufacturers basically everything for everyone.

What Apple hardware is shitty? You can argue that certain products are overpriced, but it's far from being shitty. Unless you're referring to GPUs, in which case they're not targeting gamers, so a dGPU is irrelevant. 

So you're blaming them for buying the components required to make their devices....I get that. (They're also not alone in buying up DDR4)

Again, you're blaming them for taking advantage of tax laws that governments put in place in order to encourage businesses to do business in their areas? Just recently local governments were bidding against eachother as to who would give Amazon the biggest break to decide where a new major office would go. Tax loop holes exist to be used; they should be closed, but you can't blame a company or an individual for taking advantage of them (hell, that's 80% the purpose behind accountants/tax attorneys).

They used dual cores in their top-of-the-line Macbook Pro. CPU which are seen even now in sub $800 AUD laptops.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

They used dual cores in their top-of-the-line Macbook Pro. CPU which are seen even now in sub $800 AUD laptops.

So did Dell with the beloved XPS 13 until a couple months ago. The only problem with Apple there is that they're unbelievably slow to update making the 13" MBP a bad option compared to the XPS 13. But in the past it was on par in terms of both price and performance. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't hate Apple the company as much as I hate their fans. The ones who buys Apple because they are Apple and lately Apple themselves seems to have been really embracing this and just screwing the industry (ex. 1000 dollar iPhone). Most people I know / see with apple products like the Macbooks and iPhones don't need such a device. They don't use it any where close to it's full potential yet they spend ridiculous amounts of money on it and there seems to just be endless amounts of these people. So many college/university students have macbooks but their areas of study really only requires them to have a laptop to write essays. It's ridiculous that anyone would buy a thousand dollar essay writing machine even if it does look good. With iPhones it's more like most people would probably be more than fine getting something like a oneplus 5t or even just 1 gen older yet everyone can't wait for the newest Apple tech going as far as lining up for 1st release of a freaking 1000 dollar phone further encouraging Apple to just screw the industry and the rest of us. My point is it just seems like Apple can do the most outlandish anti-consumer practices and still be on top in terms of profit because of their fan. 

11 minutes ago, Confusizzled said:

My point is it just seems like Apple can do the most outlandish anti-consumer practices and still be on top in terms of profit because of their fan. 

Having insanely high profit margins on every product line helps too.

PMSL

I brought my iPhone because I had a hobby that required an app that was only available on Mac OS and iOS at the time. Now I just have no desire to change. I don't need customisation in my phone and am quite happy. It works for me. 

You're on a tech enthusiast forum, not a sheep forum.

Also because mainly the price added on for brand recognition...

Don't get me wrong Apple is amazing if you're tightly engaged with their ecosystem (iPad,iPhone,iMac, MacBook etc) the experience is something you will be amazed by. But for the general consumer its windows laptops, PC's and an iPhone / Android

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

Personally, I don't care for the design of the products. You don't pay for the specs, you pay for the 1,000 engineers to make a few small tweaks. They fail to listen to customers and even go as far as to say what you "need" in a device. They love to patent troll, which just harms the tech community as a whole. Stealing ideas and claiming them as their own.

44 minutes ago, Confusizzled said:

I don't hate Apple the company as much as I hate their fans.

I think this says it pretty well. There are a lot of stereotypes about Apple users and I know not all of them are true, but when I ask my friends about why the spend the unnecessary amounts of money for slightly better performance they never really have a good answer except: "I'm just used to iPhones." I'm not saying that being used to the product is bad but from what I've seen personally the only reason people stick with Apple products is because they are the only products they've ever used. And I'll state that I know not all Apple users are oblivious or ignorant, but the ones that are taint the reputation. So it becomes extremely easy to hate on Apple products for the ridiculous prices, the stereotypical fans, and the questionable things that Apple does as a company. I'm guilty of this all the time (in this post as well, thanks to @djdwosk97 for calling me out.) For those of us that have never had experience with Apple products or have very little experience, buying an Apple product feels like a very stupid decision. For me personally, here are some of the reasons I don't buy Apple products.

1. I am unfamiliar with them as I have used Android all my life for phones, and and Windows and Linux for my PCs.

2. Can't customize them. One thing I love about Android phones is you can turn them into whatever you want for whatever you need, i.e. custom kernels and OS's.

3. The price. Comparing a PH-1 to an iPhone X again. Is the slightly better hardware worth 600 freakin dollars more? It does seem like you mostly pay for the brand.

4. Stupid stunts. The headphone jack is a big one for me. You can argue whatever you want about how its better with no headphone jack but having to use a lightning connector or whatever every time unless I have wireless earbuds or headphones seems a bit retarded to me.

5. The fans. "A Macbook is much more productive for college students". For one, college students are usually broke; and two, productivity is based on the student not on the product you are using. I've heard the "Apple is more productive" argument too many times its stupid.

These all combined are the reason I find it easier than breathing to hate on all things Apple. Even if I'm not experienced with them.

Where do I start... Apple makes it really hard to run a business with their systems. I have 2 locations, production & post production. All Apple. I have so many iTunes accounts its crazy. When i migrate I loose current important passwords in Safari & it brings back old deleted passwords. A new OS every F'ing year, really... So they sCrap together a bunch a new ideas & make them work correctly just in time to mess everything up again. I could go on but I'm like a busy person & stuff

Personally, I hate them for making their own "safe space", for example (and yes, I tested this) on an apple device I can't see all websites, videos on yt and stuff like that. The IO ports on their computers and laptops are dumb as hell and a lot of their tech is in my opinion overpriced. 

On 12/6/2017 at 11:32 AM, rawrdaysgoby said:

Why? I don't understand? someone explain? is the only thing you hate is the lack of customization? or that they do things that you don't approve of?

6 hours ago, SentiWW said:

Personally, I hate them for making their own "safe space", for example (and yes, I tested this) on an apple device I can't see all websites, videos on yt and stuff like that.

Ummmmmm.....such as? I've literally NEVER encountered a website or video I couldn't go to on a Mac or iOS device.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Ummmmmm.....such as? I've literally NEVER encountered a website or video I couldn't go to on a Mac or iOS device.

I can't really tell, it was on their first iPad, YouTube just missed a lot of videos. If I find this iPad (I don't think I will) I will check and compare it to my other devices.