Nvidia, you PROMISED!

@LinusTechYou have impressed me, an entire video with a new product and you didn't drop it yet. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Also RIP AMD who decided to call in sick on RTX3080 Benchmark Day.

Linus hurt it by either dropping it (my guess) or by forcing it to compete against 2 units and their older sibling that it has previously lost most challenges against, so it refused to work for him unless he apologized.

My 980ti is looking forward to a well earned retirement at this point, just waiting for the "Buy Now" button to light up to get my hands on one

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

In Nvidias defense, they never said "twice as fast".

They said "Twice as fast per watt", which doesn't even seem to be the case either though.

So maybe not a great defense.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I know this is an extreme example, perhaps the most extreme example I've found so far, but both 1080p AND 1440p as a bottleneck in the example below gets me thinking that 1080p is only a few generations from dying out like 720p.  Might be worth addressing in future 3080/3090 coverage

hard_limit.png

If 1080p and 1440p are the same frame rate then who in their right mind would opt for worse image quality at 1080p?  And this is all without factoring in AI upscaling in future DLSS iterations

any youtuber that has coverage for VR performance? the only thing I found was 4 lines from this article speculating on performance in 2 games :/
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/nvidia-rtx-3080-review-4k-greatness-at-699-and-good-news-for-cheaper-gpus/

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

37 minutes ago, Zenith_X1 said:

I know this is an extreme example, perhaps the most extreme example I've found so far, but both 1080p AND 1440p as a bottleneck in the example below gets me thinking that 1080p is only a few generations from dying out like 720p.  Might be worth addressing in future 3080/3090 coverage

If 1080p and 1440p are the same frame rate then who in their right mind would opt for worse image quality at 1080p?  And this is all without factoring in AI upscaling in future DLSS iterations

A few things need to happen before 1080p dies out like 720p.

Low end 'gaming' cards need to be capable of 'minimum' frame rates above 60 at High settings profiles on the 'average' AAA game at 1440p.

So a $250 GPU needs to be able to pull that of.

Monitors need to be of moderate quality and be fully tuned for 1440p 120hz+ (so fast enough pixel response) at a 'cheap' price tag.

So u need to be able to find a sub $300 monitor than can achieve 120hz+ 1440p without significant image quality issues.

If both of these are done then ull see the 'average' non enthusiast PC user who games have a 1440p display and 1440p capable GPU.

However neither of these milestones have been hit yet. But we are most certainly past the halfway point towards that final destination of 1080p being phased out.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Performance vs 1080Ti is impressive, may be time to upgrade for people that skipped 20xx series

It will be interesting to see how well this performs with F@H and if the rumors are true that MINERS will go grabbing these up the minute they go on sale. My pick is the 3090 though, but I'm guessing a water-cooled version of that card will still be north of $1400. You really had to be a fool to buy a RTX Titan at $2500 and then drop $200 more for a waterblock+backplate.

For anybody at nVidia reading this, I will gladly take those unsold RTX Titans off your hands at a "reduced price" :D

37 minutes ago, Luscious said:

It will be interesting to see how well this performs with F@H and if the rumors are true that MINERS will go grabbing these up the minute they go on sale. My pick is the 3090 though, but I'm guessing a water-cooled version of that card will still be north of $1400. You really had to be a fool to buy a RTX Titan at $2500 and then drop $200 more for a waterblock+backplate.

For anybody at nVidia reading this, I will gladly take those unsold RTX Titans off your hands at a "reduced price" :D

Apparently since efficiency is so important to mining, the Radion 7 is still on par with the 3080 when comparing Ethereum hash rates. So while im sure some miners will buy up 3080's i dont think all of them will.

From what iv seen the R7 can roughly match the 3080 but at slightly lower power, but the 3080 can go higher but requires an OC and higher power still.

So i guess it depedns on the individual miners situation, if power usage doesnt matter, sure they'll likely buy up 3080's , but if they are already running R7's ...i dont see the point. Their R7 have already paid for themselves.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

17 hours ago, alextulu said:

What happened with the 5700 XT? Are AMD drivers that bad?

If you are referring to the tests where AMD had N/A rather than a number, most of those were CUDA tests which is Nvidia's proprietary computing implementation.  AMD uses OpenCL and very few programs will support both, typically they just support CUDA or OpenCL, so AMD literally cannot compete in a CUDA test.

Two takeaways I had from the video: 1. holy shit, I did not realise Radeon was that much better at CATIA.  My workplace is heavily CATIA focused and all the workstations have Nvidia cards in them, so that came as a bit of a shock.

2.  It seems wrong for Linus to primarily compare the 3080 to the 2080.  With the 3090 taking the place of the Titan it seems to me that the 3080 should be compared against the 2080 Ti, or do people think I am missing something here?

EDIT: ignore the second part, I re-checked the prices and I can see why you would do it that way.

"Reflex On + Boost" likely means it is when the GPU is ramped up to its Boost Clock; increasing the framerate whilst creating more load (and thus less to play with) as a trade-off.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:05 PM, Kierax said:

@LinusTechYou have impressed me, an entire video with a new product and you didn't drop it yet. 

But the RTX3080 is much cheaper than the Asus PQ22UC! How can you not be impressed he didn't drop the oled monitor??

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Maybe isn't literally twice as fast as 2080, but fast as 2x 2080 in SLI/Nvlink, like in the 1080's announcementNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Video Card Announced - Faster Than GTX 980 SLI -  Legit Reviews

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

For the SR-IOV feature, have now opened a ticket on the NVIDIA forums

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/please-suport-a-limited-version-of-sr-iov-for-geforce-on-linux/154735?u=dreamcat4

On 9/17/2020 at 1:15 PM, Koeshi said:

If you are referring to the tests where AMD had N/A rather than a number, most of those were CUDA tests

But what about the games?

I know there are some games with Nvidia proprietary tech, but if you're using Radeon, those games should still run with those effects either disabled or running on the CPU (meaning lower performance, but should still run).