BOINC Pentathlon 2020

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@Windows7ge

04/26/2020 white.gif 1:264:19:10:27 white.gif 4,444,018 white.gif

Liking that results returned number, so epic 🙂

Jeez, you're up to 505,237/PPD. If you maintain that you'll pass me by the end of the event.

This makes me want to pick up some retired servers just so I can beat you. Have to install a couple 208V/30A circuit breakers.

While we continue to wait for the project announcement I'm trying to have a go at playing with Pritunl but it is just hating me. I'd like to run it on my VM server so I can circumvent my colleges firewall do perfectly legal things between wherever I am and my house but it does not like running in a CT. Will try it in a full VM next. Don't understand the errors it's giving me.

Well, trying to get my 2nd rig to update to 19.3 Mint Mate.

:I  I think it is hating me.   Been stuck on the processing triggers for libc-bin for a while now.

Update, ok it finally got past that.

Also, I went back over the BOINC portion of my guide.  The steps are still valid even on the newer 19.3 Mint Mate, so for Ubuntu based distros, those installation steps are good.

On another note, BOINC install on my 2nd rig.  Had F@H too, but something gone wack with it, so currently purge that one out until after the Pent and do a re-install of that one.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Got it working (sort-of) now the only problem is my router doesn't support NAT Loopback (old one did). This means I have to be on a different network in order for me to test if the VPS works.

Considering the fact there's a pandemic going on I don't exactly have places welcoming me in to sit down...

...how do I get this done...

so, seeing as F@H doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot on my other rig, i would like to know; does BOINC use GPU much or is it very much CPU focused

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

3 minutes ago, GrockleTD said:

so, seeing as F@H doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot on my other rig, i would like to know; does BOINC use GPU much or is it very much CPU focused

That's dependent on the project you sign up for. Marathon is probably only going to be CPU. Last year Einstien@home was very GPU heavy. I believe yoyo@home was GPU heavy. Don't quote me on this but I think Rosetta@home is GPU heavy.

All depends on the project.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That's dependent on the project you sign up for. Marathon is probably only going to be CPU. Last year Einstien@home was very GPU heavy. I believe yoyo@home was GPU heavy. Don't quote me on this but I think Rosetta@home is GPU heavy.

All depends on the project.

Rosetta is CPU.  I haven't seen any GPU WUs from it on my machines.

This list shows a bit of what projects support what.  Some of the info can be a bit dated though.

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

9 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Rosetta is CPU.  I haven't seen any GPU WUs from it on my machines.

And this is why I told him not to quote me there. :D

Assuming I did the conversion correctly for anyone else in EST the Marathon will be announced Thursday @ 8:00PM. I won't be home.

I think I'll tell all my rigs to not take in new work Thursday morning. They'll run out after a couple hours (sitting idle for hours after) but at least when I do return home I'll immediately be able to start bunkering.

On 4/23/2020 at 2:44 PM, Windows7ge said:

I'm pretty sure the software isn't designed to work that way. I could see a number of issues with trying to make it to as well.

Drop dual-boot, no compromises:

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't think it would be, but worth checking.

I would switch to linux only, but I kind of like having the division of an environment mainly for work.

It helps my productivity. When I am logged in to Ubuntu I know I should be in "work mode". 

Besides, some of the games I play still don't work well with lutris / other linux solutions and I occasionally have to work on windows when I'm doing something with colleagues who will only use windows only software, or need software licenses from work... so I'm stuck with it for now. 

I have all the projects in my boinc manager and tested to make sure i can run each project. All projects are working for the LTT team.  

Did I miss anything? Do I have to signup anywhere for this?

Thanks

2 hours ago, SwedishNinja said:

I have all the projects in my boinc manager and tested to make sure i can run each project. All projects are working for the LTT team.  

Did I miss anything? Do I have to signup anywhere for this?

Thanks

You didn't need to sign up for all of them as not all of them are going to be used. The decided projects still haven't been chosen.

Aside from joining the LTT team on the project sites that's it. No other sign-up is required.

15 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You didn't need to sign up for all of them as not all of them are going to be used. The decided projects still haven't been chosen.

I like to be prepared :)

Im ready to go! 

Thanks

@leadeater

All I'm saying is we better take first in the Marathon.

Or at least do better than last year. Speaking of, does anybody remember what place we finished in the Marathon? Don't know if that's a statistic I can look-up.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

@leadeater

All I'm saying is we better take first in the Marathon.

Or at least do better than last year. Speaking of, does anybody remember what place we finished in the Marathon? Don't know if that's a statistic I can look-up.

https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/archive/pentathlon/2019/0

Don't count on me having everything I have for the whole event, chickens haven't hatched yet.

@Windows7ge

Also if you have a look at points returned for yesterday for teams you'll see we have basically no chance of 1st place, in anything, without getting our participant count much higher.

Yea my points generation is about an entire teams worth but still half of the big teams at current output and if you check the pent archives they can ramp up to way more than what they are doing now. Unlike FAH we are BOINC minnows sadly.

Maybe @LinusTech can give us a nice boost with a WAN Show mention 🙂

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Also if you have a look at points returned for yesterday for teams you'll see we have basically no chance of 1st place, in anything, without getting our participant count much higher.

Ah, let's at least strive to do better than 9th this year.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Don't count on me having everything I have for the whole event, chickens haven't hatched yet.

You looked at your boss and asked to borrow a fully populated 42U rack when he wasn't really paying attention to your question didn't you?

BIDE FOR TIME! MAKE IT LAST!

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@Windows7ge

Just got two more dual socket LGA1366 systems, not up and running yet but I can go pick them up 🙂

Since it's not your electric bill I guess it doesn't matter does it?

Don't forget to leave 2 or 3 threads free so they don't choke on themselves.

31 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Since it's not your electric bill I guess it doesn't matter does it?

These ones I will be running at home, I have another LGA1366 board but not heatsinks grr.

31 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Don't forget to leave 2 or 3 threads free so they don't choke on themselves.

All mine just use everything, ain't nobody got time for optimization lol.

I'm actually waiting for avg points to stabilize then I'll try stuff, can't do anything until then so defaults is my baseline for now.

38 minutes ago, leadeater said:

These ones I will be running at home, I have another LGA1366 board but not heatsinks grr.

Well hopefully electricity is cheap where you live. Though you only need to run it for a couple weeks.

39 minutes ago, leadeater said:

All mine just use everything, ain't nobody got time for optimization lol.

I'm actually waiting for avg points to stabilize then I'll try stuff, can't do anything until then so defaults is my baseline for now.

Smart. I have had a similar idea with the VMs. Though you could check each machine on the WCG website. Check it's daily output and decrease the CPU utilization a touch.

My own systems & servers I need for my daily functions so innately I leave enough cores free for those purposes.

Off topic. I just got pritunl basically working. I believe what it does is it creates an encrypted tunnel between you and the pritunl server. From there you can create a static route to reroute this traffic to any other available network be it 0.0.0.0/0 (Default Route - Internet) or the LAN you wish to reach (192.168.0.0/24).

I plan to test this out at my job tomorrow. They shouldn't mind...hopefully...the IT guy didn't seem to care.

If all goes well I will write a tutorial. The software is free to use for basic setups.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

I have to say, I like your avatar.

Reminds me of the o joy I get to deal with butter bars (nickname for second lieutenants in the AirForce), and how they manage to screw up something as simple as a login at times.  They also manage to break comm cords.

Still, the top o wtf moment for me is when I had a lieutenant colonel ask me why their email name had numbers on the end.  :I  I ain't kidding either.  I'm like, okay, we down range, why is this a major issue for you?  (didn't say that to said officer's face, but darn was I thinking it)

Hence, I am no longer surprise that there are plenty of folks that continue to treat electronic devices as voodoo magic tools.