When ugly becomes pretty?

homeap5

I wonder (maybe I am the only one), when this pure black design becomes bad:

norgb.jpg.da45524f45316c167b75fb32b64b3012.jpg

and this rgb disco style becomes nice:

rgb.jpg.a463dd137642aa4c03560895e6abf482.jpg

Am I the only one left who thinks that RGB looks bad?

No... i actually kinda like things like the SNOWBLIND integrated LCD screen into the sidepanel.. i like tempered glass, and information screens on motherboards, and even the digital screen on an X63, but RGB... nope.. 

i don´t use my ducky 6 since it cannot replicate "REAL WHITE" because it has RGB, so it becomes some sort of bluish redish white.. so run my old 3 and a KBD fans keyboard without LED even..

so i actually like to SEE hardware internals.. but if it is a place where the PC is visible in a normal area, i normally go for aluminium in it´s gray state, even sandblasted..

so matte surfaces, is important.. ..

i hate RGB just as much as i hate, black glossy plastics in cars. (uhh i really hate glossy black plastics.)

I have an intense dislike of too much RGB. 

That said, I had an old Gigabyte motherboard, either AM2 or 3? It had a single white strip that ran down behind the IO then along the top of the PCIe slot. It was nice having a small amount of subtle light inside the case. I'm not sure if that counts as RGB though.

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

I like both of 'em! Which is why I'm glad my case allows me to do either. Turn RGB off and look normal. Or turn RGB on and light up like a Unicorn.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

if you're using rainbow color on your RGB stuff you're doing it wrong. Pick some color combo that looks nice or a single color and it'll look amazing.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well i think it's a matter of taste

things that are pretty for me could be ugly for you and vice versa

i hope many variations will stay available so everone can find his own taste

currently rocking 

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 32 GB of corsair vengeance RGB ram and hoping to get my 6800XT soon!!!!

These daft threads are one of my favourites.

"Am I the only one that does x/likes x/prefers x"

Yes you are.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

These daft threads are one of my favourites.

"Am I the only one that does x/likes x/prefers x"

Yes you are.

Am I the only one that dislikes people who think they are the only one left?!?

:D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

As with many things, it's all about preference. I personally like both but I do prefer tempered glass sidepanels for a PC I use at home because I like looking at the components.

I do have some RGB strips in the case but I haven't turned it on in a good while but it's nice to have if I just need some extra light.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Obviously you aren't, since both of those styles exist on the market.

Not really. If I have specific requirements (like 4 internal HDD bays minimum, 2 external 5,25 and 2 external 3,5 minumum and specific dimensions) I had less and less cases to choose. Last month I wanted to buy for my wife new PC case. Unfortunatelly - I cannot find even one that fits (maximum dimensions, bays etc), so she is using pretty new hardware in old, ugly case (but has 4 x 5,25 external, 2 x 3,5 external, about 4 x 3,5 internals and it can handle full ATX motherboard).

@Lurick: I was not tried to be harsh, I just saw dozens of posts on this forum about new config and everyone choose that RGB rainbow unicorn style cases. I'm not talking about glass/plexi windows, I'm talking about disco style lights.

An RGB-setup can be made very stylish and pretty, but it takes effort and a good eye. Most setups I see are just...well, kinda like a unicorn came over and vomited inside the PC. Most people just don't have the eye to do it well. On the other hand, a setup without RGB is much easier to get to look fine enough and even a half-blind person can do that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

RGB has an appeal to the same demographic as those who like tacky riced out cars and the like. It's mostly a kid thing, people grow out of it usually. Regardless, it's not going away.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

RGB has an appeal to the same demographic as those who like tacky riced out cars and the like. It's mostly a kid thing, people grow out of it usually. Regardless, it's not going away.

I wasn't aware the choice to change the color scheme of your PC without buying new parts was a "kid" thing.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I don't like RGB unicorn BS.  I like well lit cases, if that makes sense.

However I own neither types of rig, just solid blacks with only the LEDs that come affixed to the hardware, and turned off if possible.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Only kind of LED I want is white. I don't like RGB.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Some people will like the alternative to whatever's popular. Why do you think Jalopnik jacks off wagons when crossovers are the predominant car segment right now? 

I personally like my more basic desktop cases as I build my PCs for utility rather than for show, but I don't do it because I'm a hipster to the popular shit right now.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, IdlePX said:

I have an intense dislike of too much RGB. 

That said, I had an old Gigabyte motherboard, either AM2 or 3? It had a single white strip that ran down behind the IO then along the top of the PCIe slot. It was nice having a small amount of subtle light inside the case. I'm not sure if that counts as RGB though.

A lot of Gigabyte's Ultra Durable boards have that. I like it a lot.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

55 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I wasn't aware the choice to change the color scheme of your PC without buying new parts was a "kid" thing.

I said "mostly". I'm aware there are a minority of older people that like it. But at the end of the day, you're decorating things with flashy colored lights. It's a childish type of activity. ?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

RGB can look very much nicer than those examples when it is done well.

I like a solid no RGB, no window look for my desktop but at the same time I wouldn't mind building a nice RGB system one time.

It is nice that we have more choices in look now then in the past and I hope that trend keeps going.

I'd love it if they started really changing the shape of motherboards to allow for more interesting desktop case shapes too.

Maybe even making the motherboards in separate pieces that connect with cables to allow for super interesting desktop case shapes.

I've seen strange looking cases but they all are still based on the atx.

Which is good but also seems to limit what they can make desktop case shape wise.

2 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

It is nice that we have more choices in look now then in the past and I hope that trend keeps going.

Fact is that we have less choices right now. All that RGB fans must have space to mount them, so there is not enough space for even 2 HDDs sometimes inside or other extensions, just for fans. Desktop (tower in fact) should have bigger expansion options than laptop.

And about colors:

This is boring amplifier:

disco0.jpg.b613fc3a0367e484ce3219cc025593e0.jpg

And this is state of the art colorful all-in-one stereo masterpiece:

disco1.jpg.1462d72c6a2bf8899c1b8a1612fd0956.jpg

For me - it's comparsion like that. RGB is kind of boom-box for me, while black design means professional.

When used for marketing, having the RGB lights in the rainbow pattern is the easiest way to show that it can provide the full range of color. That's why it's like that. People choosing to put it in rainbow mode is their own choice, and if they like it, more power to them. RGB is excellent, as it allows you to choose whatever color you want. It's great for companies as they only need one SKU, not 5, 10 or more. Thus it's also good for the environment as this makes less waste. 

If you don't think it looks good, that's your view. Do YOUR build the way you want, don't comment on others. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Am I the only one left who thinks that RGB looks bad?

No.

I like a side window, when it is tasteful, but this entirely glass case filled with bright and unmatched flashing lights that are difficult to control and give you a headache from all angles, visually and administratively, fad can go away any time now.

I'm much more concerned with chasing that elusive design with completely hidden or non existent joints externally and in the main component bay. Lighting in a case should be used to highlight beautiful components, wonderfully arranged, like artwork on a wall. It should not be the primary show.

Of course I say that, and I also believe that, aesthetically, and likely performance-wise, we would have been better off continuing with the Multi-Chip Module, but expanding it to a system level instead of the component level. It would have had a number of benefits, albeit at the cost of higher price.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I think the "problem" with rgb is how it is marketed. Its always rainbow puke and crazy effects, but in reality this is just to showcase what the product can do. The "right" use of rgb should be way less distracting, because you dont want a blinking rainbow next to you when you are looking at the monitor.

That being said, I still prefer no LEDs, with just a few exceptions.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.