What are y'all upgrading this holiday season?

dizmo

Ryzen 1600x and GTX 1070 still easily running everything on 60+ fps in 1080p on ultra/high settings. No need to upgrade. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I see. I'm the opposite, I like a heavy mouse, but I've been thinking about getting some new ones as well. I really want a MX Master again, and the 2s fixed a lot of the issues I had with the original so I'll probably pick up a 3. I wouldn't mind a wireless gaming mouse, but I'd have to find one that fit the bill...I love the Thermaltake Level 10M, however they're quite hard to find.

I didn't notice the 3 had been released... might need to grab one of those. I have my 2S at work, so might have to replace my mouse at home.

The main things that could use an upgrade are the SSD/HDD combo, maybe a better graphics card. A new pc case because I'm using some old recycled one and though it does the job it's kind of shitty looking. And if I'll feel extra fancy perhaps a new monitor as well.

Probably my CPU, but at the moment I find it hard justifying 1700X > 3700X/3800X. Also thinking of getting a 32" 4K monitor. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

my kitchen...

Hopefully i can get some nice fans for cheap though, its about time i swap my dying fractal dynamic ones for something thats not garbage. Should help with temps some(already not an issue and im adding another rad because it was cheap lol) but mainly noise, some of the fans in Northern Bee make quite a lot of noise which i am more than happy to get rid off.

Depending on when the Ncore is going to deliver that might be another upgrade along with new tubing and coolant

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I upgraded last xmas/new year... and I've just upgraded my graphics card this month too.  Not really much else to upgrade on this system aside from perhaps dropping the 2x 27" 1440p monitors in favour of a 32" ultrawide... But It's not urgent.

I am considering rebuilding my mediaserver in the new year... it's still on W7Pro which is EOL in Jan... But I could just upgrade it to W10 as it's only a mediaserver and doesn't really need to be on the latest/greatest hardware... It's been running an FX8350, 16GB ram on an AM3+ Asus M5 board. So if I upgrade, I'll throw a new B550 board (when they come out) in my gaming rig with a 3900X and swap my current B450 2600X into the mediaserver.

I'm due to upgrade my phone next year... but that won't be until around May/June.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

Nothing to upgrade to yet.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

My updates

The wine cellar , and the bourbons are running out i think i buy a box of Hudson Manhattan Rye whiskey

6 hours ago, Rupe said:

Given the amount of shooters I play at low sensitivity it's important to have a light mouse. People do say there are diminishing returns but that seems to be at about 80g of weight. But weight isn't much of an issue if you're not kinda hardcore about precise aim in FPS.

You might be interested in Dave Lees review where as a professional he chooses the Viper Ultimate over the MX Master Mice because he likes the precision of the sensor. But if you like heavy mice it's probably not the choice. 

Oh, I definitely wouldn't be using the MX Master for gaming, it doesn't have the right shape...it's more of a productivity mouse. I'd get that one, and one just for gaming.

6 hours ago, BigRom said:

I want to get rid of my Asrock motherboard, as I found out recently the top PCIex16 slot is broken. Still on the fence on whether to get the Tomahawk MAX or a X570 like the Asus Prime.

Or I might just buy the RX5700 instead.

Not the MSI. Never the MSI.

6 hours ago, MrSimplicity said:

Right now looking at upgrading my monitor to 1440p 144hz been running 1080p 60hz for too long. Especially since i just bout myself a 2080TI. then im still on the fence, but i'm looking at upgrading from an 8700k to a 9900k not really sure if that's a worth while jump. Maybe i'll just wait for the new 10th gen and jump to 10 or even 12 cores.

With a 2080Ti it's a sin to be running a 60hz monitor :P I can't wait for the 144hz screen too, though I wonder if I'll actually notice the difference.

I don't think the 9900k would be worth the jump honestly, just wait for next gen chips.

6 hours ago, XR6 said:

I'm probably going to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, HDD and RAM. I'm also thinking of upgrading my SSD and PSU.

Haha, sounds like you could just use an entirely new PC! At least then you could sell the old one to recoup some cost.

4 hours ago, IntMD said:

I didn't notice the 3 had been released... might need to grab one of those. I have my 2S at work, so might have to replace my mouse at home.

I highly recommend it ;)

4 hours ago, CookieSmasherGus said:

The main things that could use an upgrade are the SSD/HDD combo, maybe a better graphics card. A new pc case because I'm using some old recycled one and though it does the job it's kind of shitty looking. And if I'll feel extra fancy perhaps a new monitor as well.

Storage always goes super cheap during Black Friday if you're in the NA. I need to upgrade my storage too, looking at grabbing a 1.6TB drive.

2 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I upgraded last xmas/new year... and I've just upgraded my graphics card this month too.  Not really much else to upgrade on this system aside from perhaps dropping the 2x 27" 1440p monitors in favour of a 32" ultrawide... But It's not urgent.

I am considering rebuilding my mediaserver in the new year... it's still on W7Pro which is EOL in Jan... But I could just upgrade it to W10 as it's only a mediaserver and doesn't really need to be on the latest/greatest hardware... It's been running an FX8350, 16GB ram on an AM3+ Asus M5 board. So if I upgrade, I'll throw a new B550 board (when they come out) in my gaming rig with a 3900X and swap my current B450 2600X into the mediaserver.

I'm due to upgrade my phone next year... but that won't be until around May/June.

That's the best time to get a new phone anyway, the flagships are all out, the big players have received discounts, and OnePlus is generally out at that time...though rumor has it their next phone will have a hole punch, where Samsung might go under display.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I upgraded my monitor a couple of weeks ago and that's about all I want tbh. My laptop works well, phone is more than capable, and my PC has all the performance I want. 

Saving money is nice. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I have a dedicated SSD for videos, getting a larger one in for that.

and my spinner drive with misc data gets an upgrade as well.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

If I can gather up the mons, probably a 4K monitor and capture card, moar M.2 NVMe SSDs if I can get bifurcation working on my mobo (need to look more into BIOS modding for that though). Just got a 5960X so I should be set for a good while, miiiight hop to RTX but we'll see. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Well, I'm about 4 generations behind, so I'm thinking

Asus X99 Prime II ---> Asus X570-E (so I can maintain flashback)

I7 6800k ---> Ryzen 3 3900x

GTX 1080 ---> RTX2080Ti

And I might also redo my custom loop and change to acryllic from soft tubing

• I’ve already replaced my 7 year old monitor with a 1440p 144hz model I got at a really nice discount, god monitors have come a long way.
  • I found a deal on a nice Sennheiser headset which was a huge upgrade from my old Corsair cans.
  • I decided to grab an RTX 2070 super early so no discount there, but it came with 3 free games so I really can’t complain.
  • I wouldn’t put all my hopes on Black Friday. Sure you can find deals but stock can dwindle fast.

I'm planning:

Server storage: 0bits -> 30TB (new system, no drives yet)

Server RAM: 256GB -> 384GB

Server SSD: 16TB -> 40TB (stretch goal)

...for the time being that's all I've got in mind...

Sure thing :

- GTX1660 -> RTX2080ti

- Lenovo Y50-70 GTX860m -> Surface Book 2

Prolly :

- Samsung Galaxy A20 -> OnePlus 7T

Might do if confident enough :

- 2013 Dodge Viper

New case for the desktop, CPU cooler, 3700x and more storage.

1 hour ago, Tegos said:

No major upgrades to the build itself, but I'm hoping to buy a decent case. My current one has absolutely no room for cable management, and with only one slot in the back for a chassis fan, it runs kind of hot. Not to mention the dust that quickly collects inside due to all the openings in it.

What case are you thinking?

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

If I can gather up the mons, probably a 4K monitor and capture card, moar M.2 NVMe SSDs if I can get bifurcation working on my mobo (need to look more into BIOS modding for that though). Just got a 5960X so I should be set for a good while, miiiight hop to RTX but we'll see. 

How much did you pay for the 5960x? I think I'd hold off on RTX until next gen..plus Intel has their GPU coming out..

1 hour ago, Palden said:

Well, I'm about 4 generations behind, so I'm thinking

Asus X99 Prime II ---> Asus X570-E (so I can maintain flashback)

I7 6800k ---> Ryzen 3 3900x

GTX 1080 ---> RTX2080Ti

And I might also redo my custom loop and change to acryllic from soft tubing

Your build looks pretty solid, I'd almost wait until the summer...see what Intels GPU is like. Might absolutely blow whatever Nvidia and AMD have out of the water.

Those deep pockets...

49 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:
  • I’ve already replaced my 7 year old monitor with a 1440p 144hz model I got at a really nice discount, god monitors have come a long way.
  • I found a deal on a nice Sennheiser headset which was a huge upgrade from my old Corsair cans.
  • I decided to grab an RTX 2070 super early so no discount there, but it came with 3 free games so I really can’t complain.
  • I wouldn’t put all my hopes on Black Friday. Sure you can find deals but stock can dwindle fast.

I've never had that much of a problem, most sales start early, and I've never saved less than a few hundred.

Haha, as long as those are three games you want, that's a great deal. AMD has a pretty solid offering on their CPUs this year.

43 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm planning:

Server storage: 0bits -> 30TB (new system, no drives yet)

Server RAM: 256GB -> 384GB

Server SSD: 16TB -> 40TB (stretch goal)

...for the time being that's all I've got in mind...

Your server...has more RAM than my PCs...all of my PCs...I've ever had..

5 minutes ago, Djinnux said:

im getting a new set of PC speakers

What are you planning to get?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

How much did you pay for the 5960x? I think I'd hold off on RTX until next gen..plus Intel has their GPU coming out..

$280 or so I think, they were $250 but hopped up slightly (they've randomly jumped to $600 too, tis weird). I was impatient and pulled a "aaah fuck it" move and yoinked a j-bin. Have been planning to for a long time so it was gonna happen anyways. RTX is mainly for Cyberpunk 2077, it looks like it's going to be amazing and it will actually use the RT part of RTX (better NVENC encoder is always nice too). But ofc I'd be waiting for release to see how the game actually is, and how it looks without RT in the first place. If it's not massively better then I'll likely stick with my RVII, especially since it's on a loop and I'd then need a block for a new GPU, then have to put the block on the GPU and then drain my loop so I can swap it in and refill. Already will be rebuilding the rig soon-ish to put the 5960X in and redo some lines. Need to grab a cable kit for my RMi as well tbh. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Your server...has more RAM than my PCs...all of my PCs...I've ever had..

They're only 64GB DIMM's :3

IMAG0524.thumb.jpg.7b1588879a6cd1384cc09c9206e8c0fb.jpg

Gotta keep those 32C/64T fed.

I run a budget setup, and I've been using a standard office mouse and keyboard. I think it's obvious what I'm upgrading.

5 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

$280 or so I think, they were $250 but hopped up slightly (they've randomly jumped to $600 too, tis weird). I was impatient and pulled a "aaah fuck it" move and yoinked a j-bin. Have been planning to for a long time so it was gonna happen anyways. RTX is mainly for Cyberpunk 2077, it looks like it's going to be amazing and it will actually use the RT part of RTX (better NVENC encoder is always nice too). But ofc I'd be waiting for release to see how the game actually is, and how it looks without RT in the first place. If it's not massively better then I'll likely stick with my RVII, especially since it's on a loop and I'd then need a block for a new GPU, then have to put the block on the GPU and then drain my loop so I can swap it in and refill. Already will be rebuilding the rig soon-ish to put the 5960X in and redo some lines. Need to grab a cable kit for my RMi as well tbh. 

That's not too bad, I wonder how they compare to the newer Ryzen stuff. Are motherboards a pain to find?

5 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

They're only 64GB DIMM's :3

IMAG0524.thumb.jpg.7b1588879a6cd1384cc09c9206e8c0fb.jpg

Gotta keep those 32C/64T fed.

Dear God...

I'd say send one my way but...I'd want dual channel and they're ECC ?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler