Logitech Announces New Keyboard Featuring Kailh Low-Profile Choc Switches

Source: Logitech G | Kailh Twitter

Logitech G announced their new Logitech G915 Lightspeed wireless gaming keyboard which features the new Kailh Low-Profile Choc switches.

A breakthrough in design and engineering, the G915 features LIGHTSPEED pro-grade wireless, advanced LIGHTSYNC RGB, and new high-performance low-profile mechanical switches. Meticulously crafted from premium materials, the G915 is a sophisticated design of unparalleled beauty, strength, and performance. Meet G915 LIGHTSPEED and play the next dimension.

I find it awesome that a big player in the gaming peripherals market opted to go for Kailh switches, and unexpectedly Kailh low-profile ones. I'm going to assume Logitech wanted the thinnest possible wireless gaming keyboard and they had to go Kailh low-profile for that to happen.

Logitech defines these new switches as their new low-profile switches on their website, so it appears that they have sourced Kailh to manufacture their switches, although those switches definitely look like Kailh Chocs.

G915 is our first keyboard to feature new, high performance low-profile GL mechanical switches that provide all the speed, accuracy, and performance of traditional switches—at half the height. Our GL switches are rigorously tested to meet strict endurance, responsiveness, and accuracy requirements. Available in three switch types:

GL Clicky - audible click and tactile feedback
GL Tactile - a gentle bump for some tactile feedback
GL Linear - a completely smooth keystroke

The GL clicky, tacitle, and linear appear to be Kailh's Choc White, Brown, and Red respectively.

The G915 features the new Lightspeed wireless technology found in other peripherals such as the G305 Lightspeed and the G502 Lightspeed, which in a nutshell means it's wireless and has blink-fast response times.

G915 features pro-grade LIGHTSPEED wireless that achieves super-fast 1 ms performance. It’s the same wireless technology that esports pros all over the world trust in competitions. G915 is also fully functional when plugged in via USB, so you can charge and play simultaneously.

This announcement as I voiced before came as a surprise because it features Kailh Choc switches. It's a nice new creation on Logitech's part to create a low-profile, full-sized keyboard featuring those premium switches.

The G915 Lightspeed definitely reminds me of Roccat's own Vulcan, which is Roccat's low-profile keyboard featuring their own low-profile switches.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

JPEG_20190719_231838.jpg

Unless you don't bottom out while typing, does it matter that much? 

I can see how it's more useful in games vs high-profile which is the main target market for these. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Unless you don't bottom out while typing, does it matter that much?  

I can see how it's more useful in games vs high-profile which is the main target market for these. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it's... subjective

still dream about old realforce

pitty to me no chance yet to get it.

sounds more useful for laptops

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

why do we want thin desktop keyboards again? eventually we will get keyboards with negative key travel. the keys are completely flat and when you press on it it goes up

Low profile you say, that got my attention!

I find that regular mechanical switches have far too much travel, but that's probably because I'm used to typing on laptops.

Then again, my desktop keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 1000 and that only has 3mm of travel, and even though it's a membrane keyboard, I find it far too clicky

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

48 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

why do we want thin desktop keyboards again?

For people like this:

40 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I find that regular mechanical switches have far too much travel, but that's probably because I'm used to typing on laptops.

Low-profile can be nice for people who want as little travel as possible for their desktop keyboards, or those who are liken to laptop keyboards and want a similar experience with their desktop keyboard.

I know myself that I'm sticking with standard profile switches and Cherry profile keycaps, but it's nice to know the option for low-profile desktop keyboards is expanding.

7 minutes ago, seoz said:

For people like this:

Low-profile can be nice for people who want as little travel as possible for their desktop keyboards, or those who are liken to laptop keyboards and want a similar experience with their desktop keyboard.

I know myself that I'm sticking with standard profile switches and Cherry profile keycaps, but it's nice to know the option for low-profile desktop keyboards is expanding.

I know when I was looking at getting a new keyboard, I was trying a load out in store, and I had to move my fingers so much just to press the key I was getting tired!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Don't know why people balk at low-profile keyboards.  If you have to type for a living or just tend to do more than write brief forum posts, you want something that's as ergonomic as you can get.

Then again, I'm not keen on mechanicals for productivity as a whole... you're better off with something that's as quiet as can be.  The thought of my keyboard clacking like mad while at work would be... too much.

I'd rather wait for the early adopters to trial the problems and let Logitech improve on the next iteration. They're rather conservative here. They could have pushed for the 1.2mm actuation and an even shorter travel.

19 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

So this G915 could kill three birds with one stone for me. Logitech products always make it to local stores.

Just hope it wont have a stupid price tag...

It's £209.99 on pre-order so don't get your hopes up. My brother's Corsair K95 RGB Platinium costed him £180, for context.

11 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'm not keen on mechanicals for productivity as a whole... you're better off with something that's as quiet as can be.  The thought of my keyboard clacking like mad while at work would be... too much.

Silent linears exist for quietness while still having the linear actutation.

8 minutes ago, Tenelia said:

I'd rather wait for the early adopters to trial the problems and let Logitech improve on the next iteration. They're rather conservative here. They could have pushed for the 1.2mm actuation and an even shorter travel.

That makes two of us. According to what I've searched on the internet, this is the first time Logitech has used low-profile switches - no less than Kailh, unexpectedly - so it'll be interesting to see what their next iteration of the G915 Lightspeed will look like if they continue production of this particular keyboard.

But considering that the G915 Lightspeed is not even out yet and is only available for pre-order, we're reaching a little bit too far for now.

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

why do we want thin desktop keyboards again? eventually we will get keyboards with negative key travel. the keys are completely flat and when you press on it it goes up

I like having an LP keyboard because my wrist doesn't bend up so much, ending my wrist pain. I'm using a Gamdias LP Brown board and I find the typing experience to still be fantastic, and I prefer using it over my shitty, overpriced K70 LUX 

That's an F in the profile pic

I rather go with Glorious GMMK over this expensive new Logitech keyboard. The Glorious GMMK allows you to install Cherry, Gateron, or Kailh switches and key caps whatever you want.You can swap the switches and key caps The whole keyboard without switches and keycaps is $60. 

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-customized

Glorious GMMK is Ducky One 2 Mini RGB keyboard killer. 

Looks neat

£210 tho. At least the shipping is free.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

13 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

this or the CM SK650...

not a fan of the forehead for the media keys on the logitech one ._. 

None of them. 

Glorious GMMK. 

5 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

I rather go with Glorious GMMK over this expensive new Logitech keyboard. The Glorious GMMK allows you to install Cherry, Gateron, or Kailh switches and key caps whatever you want.You can swap the switches and key caps The whole keyboard without switches and keycaps is $60. 

Oh my god, I thought you were referring to the 60%, but actually there is a full-size which only costs $60 for the PCB and chassis? That is a steal.

That's kind of sad how you can literally buy three of the full-size GMMK without switches and keycaps for the price of a single Logitech G915 Lightspeed, but that's gaming peripheral markup for you.

6 hours ago, comander said:

I bought a realforce keyboard a while back... what's wrong with the current ones?

best realforce ever made

nothing wrong at current ones

The price for these premium keyboards have gotten absolutely ridiculous...

1 hour ago, PHYLO said:

The price for these premium keyboards have gotten absolutely ridiculous...

It's the mark-up these keyboards get from including the word 'gaming' in them. These companies know people will buy their 'gaming' products so they can justify ramping up the price that much.

In fairness to Logitech's case, their software is amazing and the customer support is also nice, so for the price of the keyboard, you get good customer service and well-supported software.