Facebook also listening in on converstations

1737773056_FBthumbdown.jpg.abd1fa4c91a2a40d589359fd8665c354.jpg

Yes, yet another one of these topics. 

Like all the other tech giants, Facebook apparently hired third-party contractors to transcribe audio recordings.  These recordings included plenty of random stuff, arguments etc. 

The difference with the others is that this are Messenger conversations, so the people actively recorded the audio instead of a device randomly picking it up.  Still, I'm pretty sure that most of the users had no idea that anyone apart from the recipient would hear the audio.

Facebook Inc. has been paying hundreds of outside contractors to transcribe clips of audio from users of its services, according to people with knowledge of the work.

The work has rattled the contract employees, who are not told where the audio was recorded or how it was obtained.

They’re hearing Facebook users’ conversations, sometimes with vulgar content, but do not know why Facebook needs them transcribed, the people said.

Facebook has already stopped doing this after the others came under fire for it.  They also claim that the users whose voice chats were transcribed chose that option in Facebook's Messenger app. 

I don't use Facebook so I can not verify the default position of this option, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's on by default and people simply weren't aware what it actually did.  Much like the others, they were deliberately vague about everything.

The Facebook data-use policy includes no mention of audio. It does, however, say Facebook will collect “content, communications and other information you provide” when users “message or communicate with others.”

Facebook says its “systems automatically process content and communications you and others provide to analyze context and what’s in them.” It includes no mention of other human beings screening the content.

In a list of “types of third parties we share information with,” Facebook doesn’t mention a transcription team, but vaguely refers to “vendors and service providers who support our business” by “analyzing how our products are used.”

Source : Bloomberg

Another day, another data scandal.  Or is it "Another day, another Facebook scandal"? 

I guess nobody is surprised at this anymore.  Everyone is doing whatever the hell they want with your data and you have almost no say in it. 

The only thing you as the user can do is not to use these companies' products and make it as hard as possible for them to create a shadow profile on you too. 

How are people even surprised by this anymore?

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Facebook, Google, Apple, etc all listen in on conversations that they aren't "supposed to"...

12 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Facebook, Google, Apple, etc all listen in on conversations that they aren't "supposed to"...

I wonder if Tesla records where you're driving... I can totally see that being true. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

14 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I wonder if Tesla records where you're driving... I can totally see that being true.

Teslas log every button you push, how hard you press the pedals etc.  The company can access that data at any given moment, and has done so whenever users reported strange behavior or blamed the car for a fender bender.   

46 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Government is also watching us and listening us through their " bird " drones. Bird is not real.

Just now, Arika S said:

gobsmacked

Is that some kind of Godsmack parody band?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

49 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

As far as I know, Google does it via Maps as well.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Wow, who would have guessed

A major social networking corporation known for many privacy violations has made yet another one... 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, imreloadin said:

And Microsoft, and Amazon.

Microsoft might have been the first to be doing it and the influencer who got all the other tech giants to do it because Microsoft stated they were doing it, through PR speak, pretty much since Windows 10 released in 2015. Microsoft are also monitoring the readable contents of people's emails and documents that are sent through Microsoft's servers.

Tech forums, especially LTT, had many people who ridiculed the claims of it as being tin-foil hat conspiracies. But I think that anyone with an appreciable level of smarts rather than smug, dogmatic belief in an innocence of habitually psychopathic corporations, in contradiction of their very own words, should have realized it was happening.

But, a lot of people didn't. Those people, due to their dismissiveness and denials of what is a real and dangerous matter, are partly responsible for things progressing to this point because they were the enablers who gave those companies a free pass by sending out the signals that it isn't a big or serious deal and that there won't be public opposition to it, allowing data-selling corporations to get the foothold they now have.

What was formerly the US government's surveillance program called PRISM has simply morphed and been made much more subtle by dropping the name, while being vastly expanded and also normalized. The data that Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc, harvest, which they all compile into non-anonymous (per the actual definition of anonymous) virtual profiles of each person, is being shared with each other and also the US government to create comprehensive virtual profiles of every person, giving those companies, and most of all the US government a god-view over society.

3 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

As far as I know, Google does it via Maps as well.

Anything that harvests data is being reviewed by people who are looking for ways to make money from that data. All of Amazon's things like keypads, security cameras, in-home delivery services, pharmaceutical, grocery, and all other purchases, voice assistants, website page views and searches, are sending valuable data to Amazon, who then shares it with the CIA and NSA to broaden their virtual profile and tracking of each person who uses those things. Expecting that all other tech giants aren't doing the same thing is like believing that if those companies' executives were offered $10 billion (or in the case of Amazon, $53 billion) of free cash that they wouldn't take it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

colour me abso-fucking-lutey gobsmacked

I've always wondered where the expression "color me..." came form.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I mean, Facebook has been known for listening to users randomly even outside of conversations with other users, and I'm not surprised that those recordings were also being reviewed by actual humans. That's why I refrain from even visiting the website, let alone actually having any of Facebook-owned apps installed on my devices.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Yet Facebook can't seem to understand when I tell it to uninstall itself...

I also can't understand why Microsoft's malicious software protection tools don't uninstall Windows.

Just another of life's mysteries I guess. ?‍♀️ - perhaps they're there to actually protect the malicious software, and not the user!

And nobody is surprised by this

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

I've always wondered where the expression "color me..." came form.

Oxford dictionary puts it as 1963. 

Okay, techies who know how technologies work, how companies like that operate likely assumed that. But what about another 99% who uses messenger. 

Even if "it's obvious". It's still bloody disgusting and things like that should either be illegal, or be stated very clearly. 

I don't understand why we keep downplaying things like this. 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

excuse me while I fail to be surprised. I feel like there is a colation between s***y business practice and successful.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Wow who still uses facebook these days?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition