Microsoft listening to Cortana commands ... and Skype calls

1853107283_CortanaListening.jpg.f0068206b3eb1938f28bc74d7044cfee.jpg

Microsoft must have felt left out after the Amazon, Google and Apple revelations.  Well, now they don't have to feel so lonely anymore.

Contractors working for Microsoft are listening to personal conversations of Skype users conducted through the app's translation service, according to a cache of internal documents, screenshots, and audio recordings obtained by Motherboard.

The Skype audio obtained by Motherboard includes conversations from people talking intimately to loved ones, some chatting about personal issues such as their weight loss, and others seemingly discussing relationship problems.

This only applies to calls that use Skype's AI-driven translation feature, so it's another case of humans reviewing what the AI isn't entirely sure about.  Your regular calls are probably not being listened to by random strangers ... hopefully. 

But wait, there's more!

Other files obtained by Motherboard show that Microsoft contractors are also listening to voice commands that users speak to Cortana, the company's voice assistant.

This is exactly the same as the other voice assistants, so no susprises there.  It was a matter of time before we had confirmation of this happening.

Microsoft's website does state that calls and Cortana commands may be analyzed, but not what this actually entails.  Apparently this is done by human subcontractors as well, just like the other big tech companies did. 

Source : https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xweqbq/microsoft-contractors-listen-to-skype-calls

I've been giving these things a lot of thought lately, and I do understand that they'd want to analyze audio snippets to improve the AI.  However doing so without clearly informing the users is just plain wrong.  I hope they get a massive slap on the wrist, one that really hurts. 

And this is a surprise to hopefully nobody. You should expect that shit like this will result in the company listening in on you lol

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Good thing I hate Cortana and disabled it

Good thing I hate Skype and deleted it

Personally I will resist verbal assistants for as long as I can. I dont even use google assistant on my phone. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

39 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Unless you nuke the folder containing it or physically disconnecting all microphones it isnt disabled....

Cortana cant listen if you dont have a mic plugged in 

Image result for thinking man gif

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Unless you nuke the folder containing it or physically disconnecting all microphones it isnt disabled....

So just silencing the mic isn't enough is it? What sucks most about these privacy invasions is that 10-20 years ago everyone would have been in an uproar. Now people just don't care anymore. Used to be that using your real name online was discouraged. Now it's entirely socially acceptable to use your real name online and often it's even enforced. Our privacy has slowly been taken away from us over the past couple decades and people just got used to it in a way that's absolutely depressing when you care about privacy.

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Cortana cant listen if you dont have a mic plugged in 

Image result for thinking man gif

Hard drive vibrations change seek time, changes browser cache hit response times... Where there is a will, there is a way. ;)

Yeah, but more and more of these things we generally use. Though I'm very tempted to go off grid. Just for the relaxation.

raise your hand if you're even remotely surprised.

ill wait

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Considering the NSA is known to have full access to Skype, I guess MS just wanted to get in on the action as well.

Hopefully Mycroft won't be on that list

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Spoiler, every virtual assistant is listening to you and recording you at all times..... 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

39 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Spoiler, every virtual assistant is listening to you and recording you at all times..... 

I have been called paranoid on this very forum for saying that. 

But it's always like this. First you get paranoid for questioning and investigating things, then once things hit the mainstream media everyone goes "oh, everyone knew about that already". 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I have been called paranoid on this very forum for saying that. 

But it's always like this. First you get paranoid for questioning and investigating things, then once things hit the mainstream media everyone goes "oh, everyone knew about that already". 

I just don't understand why people don't think they are. They need to record everything to improve voice recognition, and will therefore need to be analysed, and are always listening for the trigger word. If people thought otherwise, they had their head buried in the sand.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒