Tencent, Xiaomi and Oppo testing HongMeng OS

LukeSavenije

Source: Forbes

Huawei has been developing HongMeng OS as a plan B for when Google cuts them away because of the recent blacklisting in the US. But now reports show that Chinese companies Oppo (Vivo/Oneplus/Realme), Tencent (big media company in china, 4th internet company of the world) and Xiaomi (Poco) test the OS for their use too. will this be the OS to break Google's huge marketshare? or is it another flop?

The Global Times cited technology giant Tencent, as well as smartphone makers Xiaomi, Oppo and Vivo, and quoted an unnamed source “close to a major Chinese carrier” saying that the major Chinese technology companies “are actively working with Huawei to push forward the release of HongMeng OS, which is also considered as a major blow to the US-led crackdown.”

Meanwhile, Bloomberg has reported that both Google and Apple are weighing up options for manufacturing products outside of China to maneuver around U.S. sanctions and Chinese reciprocation. Google “is moving some production of Nest thermostats and server hardware out of China, avoiding punitive U.S. tariffs and an increasingly hostile government in Beijing,” while “Apple has a backup plan if the U.S.-China trade war gets out of hand,” with the company’s manufacturing partner Foxconn having “enough capacity to make all iPhones bound for the U.S. outside of China if necessary.”

Clearly, Google stands to lose the most from a concerted Chinese effort around a non-Google OS. In China where Google services are blocked, Huawei already uses the open-source version of Android. This limits security updates and prompted Google to warn the U.S. government of national security risks, asking for the blacklist to exempt Android. Of course, the open-source OS also cuts Google off from the consumer data that drives its advertising machine – another reason why the world’s second largest smartphone maker cutting OS ties carries a heavy cost.

What i think about this? it's good. there shouldn't be one big company holding most of the marketshare, competition isn't a bad thing

and... it's quite a big FU to the USA

Interesting enough it is a forked android. With the claims that HongMengOS is 60% faster than android I wonder if google could optimize their operating system even further like that of apple.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

31 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

*cough* iOS *cough*

75.27% vs 22.74%...

i'll call this a win for google... but who know how well this new one will do

6 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Actually I Idon'tthink that Google or Facebook is any better than Huawei at insuring your privacy. 

or the respective governments... but i won't take it too far into that

32 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Interesting enough it is a forked android. With the claims that HongMengOS is 60% faster than android I wonder if google could optimize their operating system even further like that of apple.

is understandable... less firmware and other stuff doesn't need to be loaded because less devices it supports

If there’s one thing good coming from the US vs China pissing match is that we might finally see a resurgence of a third mobile OS that can break the iOS/Android duopoly. I just hope Huawei doesn’t repeat Microsoft’s mistakes with windows phone, and that Andromeda thing is dead on arrival. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

57 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

I just hope Huawei doesn’t repeat Microsoft’s mistakes with windows phone, and that Andromeda thing is dead on arrival

Tbf it didnt help that Google actively tried to kill windows mobile. For what it was, it was pretty darn good. 

57 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

If there’s one thing good coming from the US vs China pissing match is that we might finally see a resurgence of a third mobile OS that can break the iOS/Android duopoly.

Only issue is that its probably going to be Huawei hardware only, but i guess they are becomming the Apple of China. 

24 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

windows mobile. For what it was, it was pretty darn good. 

Agreed, it also doesn't help that techtubers like Linus never gave it a second look past the initital versions of it.

WP10 was pretty good. Sure it lacked a few apps(mainly the Google apps... because Google went out of their way to block the apps that MS created to access Google's services...), but even on a low end 512MB phone, the thing was quite snappy compared to bloated out Android today that automatically close your music player randomly if you have 1GB of less of memory due to its aggressive memory management that think a music player working in the background needs to be cleared out to make space for... whatever crap Google needs RAM for on Android at random moments... Never had that issue with WP.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Never had that issue with WP.

I had one issue on my 140$ windows phone. I couldnt have more than 6 tabs Open before it started to close them when Edge was closed.

Other than that there were no issues.

Remember Tizen?

Exactly

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

5 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

*cough* iOS *cough*

Not unless they open up their OS to other phone manufacturers, which I doubt will happen any time soon.

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

will this be the OS to break Google's huge marketshare? or is it another flop?

Might take off in China (especially if the government decides to mandate it), but I don't see it being a success in the rest of the world, assuming it even makes it outside of the Chinese market.

It could definitely take off, but I doubt it'll gain much traction in Western markets. China though? Yeah, it could definitely be a win.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

WP10 was pretty good. Sure it lacked a few apps(mainly the Google apps...

7 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Tbf it didnt help that Google actively tried to kill windows mobile. For what it was, it was pretty darn good. 

It's more than just the lack of Google apps the reason as to why WP failed. It arrived too little too late.

• They played with carrier exclusivities with AT&T and that didn't helped with WP to move forward as it didn't have the same push as Android had with Verizon (remember the Motorola Droid exclusives)?
  • Late in supporting multi-core processors and high res displays
  • WP didn't have similar developer APIs that iOS and Android had
  • Historically, Microsoft abandoned several times their WP users because of kernel changes. WP7 phones which uses the CE kernel didn't got the WP8 update which uses the NT kernel.
  • They could've taken pages from Apple's playbook and developed their own ARM processor. Just look at the iPhone 4 as it was their first in-house ARM processor.
  • Initially it wasn't even an enterprise ready phone since both WP7 and WP8 don't have file level encryption and VPN support. 
  • Apple knew how to integrate the iPhone with the Mac and its ecosystem. Google integrated Android with its services, Microsoft didn't took advantage of the massive Windows ecosystem to have it integrated with WP.
  • Windows 10 Mobile was buggy af upon launch.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

They played with carrier exclusivities with AT&T

sounds familiar... it's called apple

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Historically, Microsoft abandoned several times their WP users because of kernel changes. WP7 phones which uses the CE kernel didn't got the WP8 update which uses the NT kernel.

oh no. its not like this happens with android every 2 years. 

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

They could've taken pages from Apple's playbook and developed their own ARM processor. Just look at the iPhone 4 as it was their first in-house ARM processor.

you know its M$ we are talking about here right?

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Google integrated Android with its services, Microsoft didn't took advantage of the massive Windows ecosystem to have it integrated with WP.

it doesnt help when you try to get stuff to you plattform and a certain company called Google says "no"

not saying its perfect, im saying it was pretty darn good. 

I'll just guess it's android ripped off and loaded with more spyware to appease the communist party.  And probably a bunch of made up claims about how it's faster and better.

It's China...everything they say or do is safe to assume it's a lie or exaggerated.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)