Windows 10 May 2019 Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes

Microsoft realized that many people don’t adjust their active hours,

Yeah I always suspected as much.  To this day I wonder how many people who complained about badly timed updates and forced upgrades and whatever else actually bothered to make an attempt at solving the problem and still through no fault of their own got screwed over, and how many just sat back and complained while doing absolutely nothing to actually take control and tell the system that what they wanted was something other than what it had assumed by default through their inaction.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So the sandbox is more like an empty VM, if let say I want to run a web browser from it, I'd have to install it in the "sandbox" or drag in a portable version?

I'm currently using sandboxie for the sandbox purpose, but I don't like it when I open a sandboxed browser, it brings along all the cookies and history along which kinda defeat the purpose. I know I can block access to certain local storage but it's too much for a noob like me to set up (while keeping it function). 

I hope the built in VM can replace it somehow.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I always suspected as much.  To this day I wonder how many people who complained about badly timed updates and forced upgrades and whatever else actually bothered to make an attempt at solving the problem and still through no fault of their own got screwed over, and how many just sat back and complained while doing absolutely nothing to actually take control and tell the system that what they wanted was something other than what it had assumed by default through their inaction.

I used a program that changed active hours like once per hour or something like that which prevented Windows from restarting by itself. I don't remember what it's called though. Was pretty neat.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

gpedit.msc -> configure automatic updates -> disabled

I think it's working for me.

1 minute ago, mach said:

gpedit.msc -> configure automatic updates -> disabled

I think it's working for me.

I haven't even needed anything that "powerful".  Just use active hours and other very normal built in settings and literally never had a problem.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

55 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

What would I use instead? Linux? Hah!

Or win7 ;) .

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I haven't even needed anything that "powerful".  Just use active hours and other very normal built in settings and literally never had a problem.

I really hate notification. May it be a pop up at the corner or a "in the face" screen jack. 

I know they'll be there if I don't block update all together.

52 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i cannot really risk a random restart sometimes. 

*restarts during presentation*

✨FNIGE✨

24 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Or win7 ;) .

Or win8(.1)

✨FNIGE✨

1 minute ago, SlimyPython said:

*restarts during presentation*

nah not that, but if i have a class and i don't finish something i just leave it open until the next day. if it reboots i lose my whole workflow and possibly some data. 

She/Her

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It is based on your system (No need to download a VHD or ISO). But the account is created new, and runs under Hyper-V. It is all created at each startup, and trashed when closed. As it is Hyper-V, RAM is not set to be reserved. It dynamically consumes what it needs. So if Sandbox environment consumes 1GB, it will consume 1GB itself, and not reserved 4GB for itself, but only consume 1GB, leaving you out of 3GB.

Microsoft has a lengthy article on how it works here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Kernel-Internals/Windows-Sandbox/ba-p/301849

Scroll down to "Windows Sandbox internals" to jump into the details.

Oh great, so that means using Sandbox will kill VMWare & Virtual Box, gee thanks Microsoft.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Probably a lot of people are in that category. But at the same time, you can't really blame a user for complaining about issues created by bad defaults and not themselves. If Volkswagen started selling cars that randomly shut down in the middle of the day and fixing it requires opening up the bonnet and screwing on some screws, would you say it was the driver's fault for being angry at VW, or VW's fault for doing a bad job with the car? 

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

To those not on 1809, just run the media creation tool to force an update ;)

If 1904 is so close anyway, might as well wait it out.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I actually noticed 2 issues with windows 10 1903( fast ring) 

1. Windows sandbox crashes on me every time I launch it  
  2. Currently have office 365 installed on my computer, the office link in the start menu only opens office online for me not office 365, office 365 version 1902 

Goodbytes let me know if they have any intention of making windows light instead of making it worse with every update.

It runs like shit on my laptop Legion y520, and im not moving back to desktop any time soon or ever.

I need ultra lightweight OS for mobile laptops like Android, that can run most win32 apps.

Let me know if Windows Core OS turns into anything good other bloatware and forced uwp, i really need it.

Microsoft announced Windows Core OS around the same time intel announced FOVEROS uarch, this could mean Windows Core mobile devices with intel new arch but probably limited to UWP and spyware, so we cant have nice things.

Tbh apart from sandbox there's nothing really "new" in this update.

It's just stuff that's fixed. Like, there is now a complete light and dark theme, nice, but that should have been a thing in the first place.

Also i can't wait to see what's going to be broken this time! Like, the last 3 updates had issues, I'm sure this one is going to have issues as well.

And how long will it take them this time to fix it? 1 month? 3 months? Who knows. I can't wait for another update disaster...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i have a few questions. 

• will it reinstall all the apps you can now remove if you remove them like it does with candy crush?

No it won't. Unless your account it screwed up and a temporary account will need to created.

• can i still use snipping tool?

For now yes, but probably the last version of Windows where you can. Snip & Sketch has more features then the old Snipping Tool with this new version, and Snipping Tool has been marked deprecated.

• does it prompt me if it automatically changes active hours? i use my Windows system for school stuff only and i cannot really risk a random restart sometimes. 

Well, Active Hours can be automatically defined (new with the mentioned coming up version) or manually defined. Windows has the option to show you a Windows 7 style warning before restarting your system.

Make sure it is enabled (Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced options, and make sure that "Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating" is enabled.

This will give you the option to pick a time, do it later, or restart now.

• can i use insider previews in Windows Sandbox?

No, it isn't a VM. It uses base system files to create its environment quickly.

If you have Windows Pro, you have Hyper-V, you can use that to setup a VM environment fr playing with Insider Builds

6 hours ago, mach said:

So the sandbox is more like an empty VM, if let say I want to run a web browser from it, I'd have to install it in the "sandbox" or drag in a portable version?

Either works.

6 hours ago, mach said:

I'm currently using sandboxie for the sandbox purpose, but I don't like it when I open a sandboxed browser, it brings along all the cookies and history along which kinda defeat the purpose. I know I can block access to certain local storage but it's too much for a noob like me to set up (while keeping it function). 

Yea, here it doesn't do that. And the account is newly generated to have 0 relation with yours

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Last year, Microsoft introduced Dark Theme in Windows 10 to some extent. However, I you where to use light color, the task bar, start menu, Action center remained dark. This is going to change, with the introduction of Light Theme. Light brings nothing to File Explorer, just elements that used to be dark will now be light:

light theme intensifies

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

What are you talking about? It's been fixed soon after its release.

for me it was hardware acceleration, idk about you but i dont like watching choppy videos

the fact they didnt push the update to most PCs means its not ready (they tried twice? didnt quite work out)

its flawless man... cba finding more articles

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-1809-1803-microsoft-confirms-new-bug-in-cumulative-update/

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/03/07/kb4482887-for-windows-10-1809-causes-game-performance-issues/

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Oh great, so that means using Sandbox will kill VMWare & Virtual Box, gee thanks Microsoft.

Probably not. If all you want to do is run some sketchy program then yes, you will only need this sandbox feature. But since the sandbox isn't persistent it will not be able to serve all the same needs as a real, true, savable VM. 

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Probably not. If all you want to do is run some sketchy program then yes, you will only need this sandbox feature. But since the sandbox isn't persistent it will not be able to serve all the same needs as a real, true, savable VM. 

That's not what I meant.

Once you enable Hyper V in Windows it stops all other virtualisation software from running on your computer and since sandbox mode requires Hyper V it's safe to assume that enabling it will cause VMWare and Virtual Box to stop working.

Essentially you have a choice, want to virtualise then you can't use sandbox mode, want sandbox mode then you can't virtualise.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)