Apple is being sued because 2FA "takes too long"

DrMacintosh
1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

What's next, McDonalds sued because someone gets a brain freeze coma from ice cream because they are not aware the ice cream is COLD ? LMAO. I applaud America where people can take real actions themselves against anti consumer shit, but a lot of them are really ridiculous.

This whole case was about how McDonalds handled it. They also knew of the problem as it happend before and was kept internal.

She was awarded such a high number by the Jury since McDonalds was being a jerk about it :D It started at 18.000 (at least 12.000 was medical already),

Then they sought 90.000 through trail. Which ended up being something below 600.000 (out of court settlement)

As for the OP... i have no words :( 

I came here to post "Inb4 someone cites the Mcdonalds coffee lawsuit and then gets corrected by people saying it was a legitimate case", but it appears I'm too late. :D

Best of luck to the plaintiff. They're going to need it :D

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I came here to post "Inb4 someone cites the Mcdonalds coffee lawsuit and then gets corrected by people saying it was a legitimate case", but it appears I'm too late. :D

Best of luck to the plaintiff. They're going to need it :D

I can delete my post and repost? :D 

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

This whole case was about how McDonalds handled it. They also knew of the problem as it happend before and was kept internal.

She was awarded such a high number by the Jury since McDonalds was being a jerk about it :D It started at 18.000 (at least 12.000 was medical already),

Then they sought 90.000 through trail. Which ended up being something below 600.000 (out of court settlement)

As for the OP... i have no words :( 

This is exactly how I remember learning about it, The scary thing I found recently is that all the Legal association website only list the evidence as presented by Liebecks lawyer or only some of the evidence presented but not the evidence put forward by the defendant. 

center for justice and democracy:

According to Stella Liebeck’s attorney, S. Reed Morgan, the jury heard the following evidence in the case:

https://centerjd.org/content/faq-about-mcdonald’s-coffee-case-and-use-fabricated-anecdotes

Consumer attorneys of California:

Here is some of the evidence the jury heard during the trial:  

https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

Texas trial lawyers association:

According to Stella Liebeck’s attorney, S. Reed Morgan, the jury heard the following evidence in the case:

https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=mcdonaldscoffeecasefacts

When the general population can't easily get access to all the information but are inundated with one side of the debate it is of no surprise that people forget about personal responsibility.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i think so. i don't know of another one by Apple.

you're right. it's literally unlock phone(or Mac), hit allow and type in code.

Yeah, I mean the whole point of the Apple ecosystem is that it's intuitive and it's seamless. It's a generalisation, sure, but at this point I'd be surprised if an integrated Apple service was slow. 

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Family of the attacker can sue too. I believe a man killed 3 intruders with an AR15 last year and one of the fathers of the attackers might have tried to sue him.

Oh yeah, that's just as wack. And they usually win somehow too.

8 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Thats interesting, people sue over some of the dumbest things, iirc the autopilot self driving thing has disclaimers and stuff but people still turn it on and assume they can sit back and read a book. And yeah I agree this lawsuit is really pointless though, if a person has to sign into a device so much they should just use a pin or password.

Well you wanna know why your disposable beverage cup has "CAUTION CONTENTS MAY BE HOT"? Eons ago, some lady got her hot morning cup of joe at the McDonald's drive through and put the cup inbetween her thighs to hold while driving. Well inevitably she squeezed too much and the fresh coffee went all over her, burning her (I think up to second or third degree if memory serves). So she sued, claiming she didn't know the liquid was scalding hot, she won. Now all those cups, McDonald's or not, all have that warning message. Fun, isn't it? There's a story behind every sign. (EDIT: lol turns out this has already been posted about.)

Why can't we all just use cup holders when handling a hot beverage in a car? Don't drink hot beverages while driving, and always sit it down when prepping your beverage to prevent spills. If you don't have a place to sit it down/secure it, you probably shouldn't be drinking it there...

5 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

Apple's 2FA also works on a Mac. so if i have to sign into Icloud on my phone i can get a 2FA code from my Mac.

That's pretty neat. Handy if you have a laptop i guess.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

57 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Why can't we all just use cup holders when handling a hot beverage in a car?

Wasn't a standard feature until (I believe) the late 80s.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

any kind of Mac. and any kind of iOS device. so you can get 2FA codes on your iPad if you want.

Yeah i knew what you meant. For me, any 2FA on my phone i usually already use the phones security biometrics or passcode/pattern.

I don't carry 6 apple products so i don't need each device be a 2FA for everything else (like i said handy) Only reason i stated my example of of laptop/phone was because that's all i could see myself actually carrying in day-to-day activities :D

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

21 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

Apple 2FA is the fastest 2FA i have ever experienced. what is this guy talking about?

Probably sued Jimmy johns because it wasn't as fast as it was in the commercial. The fact that they think they can sue because a process takes a long time is ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

Why can't we all just use cup holders when handling a hot beverage in a car? Don't drink hot beverages while driving, and always sit it down when prepping your beverage to prevent spills. If you don't have a place to sit it down/secure it, you probably shouldn't be drinking it there...

5 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

because some cars don't have them i guess?

My truck has poor excuses for cup holders. Really, they exist as a place to put your drink if you eat lunch in the cab (which is forbidden by me). But everytime I order takeout, I have to hold onto my drink the entire drive, otherwise it will spill everywhere. They do make center consoles for my truck with nice deep cupholders, but I'd lose my middle seat. Still, it's unsafe to drive one handed, but then again, people who drive manual kinda drive one handed. So...

15 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Only in America can you rob someone and then sue them because you slipped while running away. 

Yeah I was so mad the first time I heard about this happening. The fact that you can sue at all for someone getting hurt while trespassing is ridiculous. 

45 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah I was so mad the first time I heard about this happening. The fact that you can sue at all for someone getting hurt while trespassing is ridiculous. 

Well, it's  United States of America, the land of freedom and possibility, and really the weight on the word "freedom" because it seems to be more like requirment to loose your common sense and anything that resembels intelligence to be Legally Americantm. Like who the F*** thought it was a good idea to give a single person so much power that the person can basicly shutdown the whole country because the person wants money for totally idiotic pet project? And what was the reasoning behind gun laws? Oh, yeha if the government oppresses the people the people must have guns so the government would be scared. Too bad (if it's news to someone) the government has more money to buy more and bigger guns, but hey at least you can drive your kids to school with your fully militarized tank and to keep them extra safe give them pistols that make normal army officers pistol look like a potato.

And oh god "Bob"... He will not have children because the chainsaw didn't have a warning about not to stop the chain with your "you-know-what" but he is suing the chainsaw manufacturer because they didn't warn that the chain that can cut wood like nothing can also even more easily cut "the Woody", next Bob is going to sue the God because he didn't make Bobs "Woody" strong enough to whitstand a chainsaw and that his Woody didn'¨t have a warning label saying "Not a chainsaw break". The best part is, that Bob may even get money out of god because years ago "Bob" won a case where he sued a microwave manufacturer not having a warning label about not drying your cat in a microwave. Not to even talk about that Bob always buys from the small local company just because Bob has more money than the local manufacturer so Bob can easily "win" the sue by making it so long and expensive that the sued company goes bankrupt. [/s] Fucking idiots...

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Another thing I love about where I live,  You have ZERO legal rights if you are in the act of committing a crime.

Basically you cannot sue for damages for anything that happens to you when or as a result of committing a crime. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

22 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Another thing I love about where I live,  You have ZERO legal rights if you are in the act of committing a crime.

Basically you cannot sue for damages for anything that happens to you when or as a result of committing a crime. 

Pity that's not true here in the SSA (although I feel rights should be limited, not fully zero). I definitely agree with your last sentence!

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 2/11/2019 at 10:55 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Yes, harm is being done by ensuring that your account is secure that that people cannot hack your iCloud account and gain access to information that could literally ruin your business or your life. I'm sorry that the ~8 seconds it takes to log in with 2FA prevents that. Perhaps if Apple were not to enable 2FA by default, this guy would be ok with his account being easily hackable? (of course not, he would probably sue!)

Jeeze, this sounds like my work. Please no; I'm not even at work!

• "Can I please have your full address & account number? Great, thank you.
  • You gave us a security pin/passphrase when you setup your account to ensure that only the real you is able to make changes after verifying.
  • Can you verify your pin/passphrase so I can assist you with your account?"
    • THIS IS STUPID IM NOT VERIFYING ANYTHING WHY WONT YOU HELP ME GET ME YOUR MANGLER I WANT YOU FIRED GRRRRRRRRR!

That being said, Apple's (and a few other company's; cough Blizzard, Steam, O365...) 2FA method is poorly implemented, since it doesn't use the standard OTP method which prevents me from setting it up using the Authy app (or any other 2FA app of choice).

In Apple's case, this requires that my 2nd trusted device be connected to data or WiFi - something that may not be possible if say I'm staying in a hotel with no cell service that only allows 1 device to be connected to the WiFi at a time per hotel room.

With the Authy app, this issue is eliminated since the codes are time-generated based on a secret key, and on top of that I then only need one app for all my 2FA logins, instead of Blizzard's authenticator, Steam's app, and Microsoft's authenticator.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:59 AM, Cheezdoodlez said:

Hm. How often do the average apple user actually need to use their 2FA codes though? 

From my perspective you only really need it when setting up a new device. Or if you for some reason would be logging in the apple/iCloud websites. But who does that on a regular basis? 

20 hours ago, Maticks said:

It only asked when you login to a device you haven't logged into from before. 

What is this guy doing?

Why does he have so many devices ongoing He clearly isn't a standard use case.

With Microsoft's services, I often go through some months of the year where I'm forced to re-login using 2FA multiple times a week. Why? Because certain companies apparently don't understand how session cookies work. And yes, this happens on multiple computers, using multiple browsers.

For example, for June last year I decided "Hey, maybe this problem only affects Chrome - I'll try Opera" ... Nope - by September I was back to being asked to re-login twice a week using 2FA. Same goes for Firefox, Vivaldi, Chrome Canary, and even Microsoft's own Edge browser.

The only way I could consistently fix this was to completely clear ALL *.microsoft.com cookies. While this works, it's not something a normal user would know to do, nor is it something you should have to do, as it resets preferences on certain sites set by the same cookies.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Pity that's not true here in the SSA (although I feel rights should be limited, not fully zero). I definitely agree with your last sentence!

I probably should clarify, criminals have rights even if they intentional carry out an act of crime, for example they have a right to free trial, to not be compelled to give evidence against themselves and the right to legal representation, but they have no rights to damages from the victim of their crime.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:06 PM, Valentyn said:

LOL! The lawyers are also clueless! Directly from their legal claim documents!

Neither of these are 2FA code requests.. one is when connecting to iTunes the first time for syncing, the other is asking for the Passcode, for an iOS update...

Neither of these require an addition device, or a 2FA prompt where they need to click allow, and get a 6 digit code to enter.

https://www.scribd.com/document/399265266/Brodsky-versus-Apple-alleging-that-two-factor-authentication-is-abusive-to-users#fullscreen&from_embed

Screenshot_41.jpg

Exactly what I said when I was reading the article. I was like "I'm pretty sure whats being described here isn't even 2FA" and after seeing the images my suspicious are correct. This guy is going to be laughed at in court when Apple point out multiple flaws with his "issues"

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Does j walking count? Like can someone legally run you over on purpose? 

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Jeeze, this sounds like my work. Please no; I'm not even at work!

• "Can I please have your full address & account number? Great, thank you.
  • You gave us a security pin/passphrase when you setup your account to ensure that only the real you is able to make changes after verifying.
  • Can you verify your pin/passphrase so I can assist you with your account?"
    • THIS IS STUPID IM NOT VERIFYING ANYTHING WHY WONT YOU HELP ME GET ME YOUR MANGLER I WANT YOU FIRED GRRRRRRRRR!

That being said, Apple's (and a few other company's; cough Blizzard, Steam, O365...) 2FA method is poorly implemented, since it doesn't use the standard OTP method which prevents me from setting it up using the Authy app (or any other 2FA app of choice).

In Apple's case, this requires that my 2nd trusted device be connected to data or WiFi - something that may not be possible if say I'm staying in a hotel with no cell service that only allows 1 device to be connected to the WiFi at a time per hotel room.

With the Authy app, this issue is eliminated since the codes are time-generated based on a secret key, and on top of that I then only need one app for all my 2FA logins, instead of Blizzard's authenticator, Steam's app, and Microsoft's authenticator.

With Microsoft's services, I often go through some months of the year where I'm forced to re-login using 2FA multiple times a week. Why? Because certain companies apparently don't understand how session cookies work. And yes, this happens on multiple computers, using multiple browsers.

For example, for June last year I decided "Hey, maybe this problem only affects Chrome - I'll try Opera" ... Nope - by September I was back to being asked to re-login twice a week using 2FA. Same goes for Firefox, Vivaldi, Chrome Canary, and even Microsoft's own Edge browser.

The only way I could consistently fix this was to completely clear ALL *.microsoft.com cookies. While this works, it's not something a normal user would know to do, nor is it something you should have to do, as it resets preferences on certain sites set by the same cookies.

I have the most convenient 2FA. You take your standard 2FA method and you remove the second part of it. 

Seems about par for the course with a typical Apple user, lmfao

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Most of the US is similar. You CAN sue, technically, but most courts will throw the case out as soon as they hear it. What few places here that do hear those cases, are either districts with idiots in power, the lawsuit has genuine merit for hazardous situations, or someone important has a political agenda.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.