How Do You Make Work Mornings More Enjoyable?

jiyeon

Hi, so a bit of background on myself:

I started working my first job last year in November, and the mornings consist of:

1. Wake up after giving myself plenty of time prior to lie in bed (10-30 minutes)
  2. Get ready while listening to music - Korean pop or ballads to either pump myself up or lighten the mood (30 minutes - 1 hour)
  3. Go to work on the bus - Listen to music while on the bus (45 minutes)

Lately I've not been enjoying the mornings I go, what do you guys recommend to make my mornings a bit more enjoyable? I don't feel tired or restless or without sleep, it's more the thought of having to drag myself to work is probably my issue. I also have anxiety and mild depression as well as mood swings so I need some things to combat those too.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Everyone gets like that sometimes, for me it's easier to not prolong it 

-get up,drink coffee,get dressed,grab bag,drive to work all up that's about 50 minutes usually 

and I really like my job, doesn't mean I don't get a little shitty about having to work sometimes 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

- Going early to bed so I wake up without an alarm clock

- no alcohol the evening before

- watching a video/stream while making and eating breakfast

- doing a short dumbbell training secession

Sleep 8 hours, eat something healthy, but you're right- music is key. I listen to old wan shows to have Luke and Linus keep me company. 

Basically the reason I bought wireless headphones is that I never have to take them off.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

My mornings consist of waking up at 5:00am, watching some news still about 5:30. Taking the dog for a walk till around 6:00. Shave and shower. Then eat breakfast and watch some ESPN until work.

Best way to make the mornings work is to find something that keeps you productive. It's the best time for it since mostly everyone is asleep and you don't have to worry about phone calls/texts/emails that early

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

1 hour ago, it_dont_work said:

Everyone gets like that sometimes, for me it's easier to not prolong it 

-get up,drink coffee,get dressed,grab bag,drive to work all up that's about 50 minutes usually 

and I really like my job, doesn't mean I don't get a little shitty about having to work sometimes 

Yeah, I find myself glancing at a clock every few seconds, adds to the anxiety of having to go to work. The time I wake up to the time I arrive at work is around two hours, I can't simply get up and go, I need my downtime before heading off, but perhaps it's something that's slowly killing me inside, so I'll look into shortening my time before work.

27 minutes ago, SwagMaestro said:

Sleep 8 hours, eat something healthy, but you're right- music is key. I listen to old wan shows to have Luke and Linus keep me company. 

Basically the reason I bought wireless headphones is that I never have to take them off.

Yeah, feeling alone is my worst fear and emotion. I need music in the morning otherwise I feel empty and scared.

I just get that man, so much.

Is this job taking you anywhere? Do you have a planned life trajectory, more or less?

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 minute ago, SwagMaestro said:

I just get that man, so much.

Is this job taking you anywhere? Do you have a planned life trajectory, more or less?

I'm in it for at least 1 year because it's an apprenticeship, not sure where I'm heading from here. The company is known for giving a lot of other opportunities so perhaps I'll find another occupation within the company once I complete my apprenticeship because at the moment, I'm going to work to wait for the clock to tick.

Ride a motorbicycle. 

You end up looking forward to waking up. 

EDIT: On a more serious note, have you actually looked at learning to drive? Or is it a finance thing

Buses are depressing 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

I have a rather different strategy than most here.

I dislike mornings. I'm a night owl and have never enjoyed getting up early.

So I minimize the amount of time I need to be awake in the morning in preparation for work.

I get up with just enough time to shower and dress and get out the door. I don't often eat breakfast, but when I do, I just eat it at work (granted, not something everyone can do). Takes me about 30 minutes in the morning from the time I wake up to the time I walk out the door.

It works for me, but everyone is different. My fiancee, for example, prefers to get up at like 6 AM, even if she doesn't need to leave until 9 AM.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, wANKER said:

Ride a motorbicycle. 

EDIT: On a more serious note, have you actually looked at learning to drive? Or is it a finance thing

Buses are depressing 

I took lessons for a short span of time 2 years ago but I stopped due to schoolwork taking over.

I'm now doing full-time work so it's hard to make time for lessons nowadays, so a bus is the only option.

Just now, seoz said:

I took lessons for a short span of time 2 years ago but I stopped due to schoolwork taking over.

I'm now doing full-time work so it's hard to make time for lessons nowadays, so a bus is the only option.

TerrificGrotesqueGoose-size_restricted.g

No license required 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

I’m curious how most people enjoy their commutes. 

I drove a sports car to work. It was fun every day.

The commute I hated the most was when I lived in the UK and took the bus. The only song that went through my head was Abba's "money money money" song.  At the time I could not afford a car so I bought a motorcycle and I drove that even in the snow.

I would rather risk my life(and I did) than take a bus.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

5 minutes ago, jones177 said:

I drove a sports car to work. It was fun every day.

The commute I hated the most was when I lived in the UK and took the bus. The only song that went through my head was Abba's "money money money" song.  At the time I could not afford a car so I bought a motorcycle and I drove that even in the snow.

I would rather risk my life(and I did) than take a bus.

Taking the bus in the UK IS risking your life. 

DISCLAIMER 

Most important thing for me is HOW I wake up. Which is why I have "Lemmino ft. Veela - An Apology" set as an alarm on my phone for years now. It's starts super chill, rain sound and piano and then it kicks in into a melodic vocal part after like 20-30 seconds. Which means I always already easily wake up to the super chill part and if I by some weird reason wouldn't, louder vocal part later would for sure. Feels less stressful than full on beeping or some shocking melody to literally kick you off the bed...

18 hours ago, wANKER said:

Taking the bus in the UK IS risking your life. 

Exactly. 

17 hours ago, jones177 said:

It is sad that the UK is less safe now but if you allow social discipline to relax that is what you get. 

You're right. The UK isn't as safe as it used to be. The main cause of this is that the police service just doesn't work anymore.

When my house got broken into last year it took the police 7 hours to arrive. It's stupid.

41 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

snip

Might not be the best idea to joke about that but alright..

On 2/9/2019 at 6:11 AM, seoz said:

Hi, so a bit of background on myself:

I started working my first job last year in November, and the mornings consist of:

1. Wake up after giving myself plenty of time prior to lie in bed (10-30 minutes)
  2. Get ready while listening to music - Korean pop or ballads to either pump myself up or lighten the mood (30 minutes - 1 hour)
  3. Go to work on the bus - Listen to music while on the bus (45 minutes)

Lately I've not been enjoying the mornings I go, what do you guys recommend to make my mornings a bit more enjoyable? I don't feel tired or restless or without sleep, it's more the thought of having to drag myself to work is probably my issue. I also have anxiety and mild depression as well as mood swings so I need some things to combat those too.

It might be the bus. Public transport isn't nice by any means. Buses are always really depressing for me.

What you could do is take a taxi to work one day and see if you feel better going in a taxi rather than on the bus.

If you don't feel any better going in a taxi then just distract yourself on the bus.

Usually when I'm on the bus I'll either check social media or call one of my friends.

Talking to friends helps with my anxiety when I'm on the bus, especially when the bus is quite full. It distracts me from most of the crowds and noise.

4 hours ago, 1kv said:

It might be the bus. Public transport isn't nice by any means. Buses are always really depressing for me.

What you could do is take a taxi to work one day and see if you feel better going in a taxi rather than on the bus.

If you don't feel any better going in a taxi then just distract yourself on the bus.

Usually when I'm on the bus I'll either check social media or call one of my friends.

Talking to friends helps with my anxiety when I'm on the bus, especially when the bus is quite full. It distracts me from most of the crowds and noise.

It's coincidental you mention taxi because my dad whom is an Über took me to work today.

I did have my music in as per usual but it was nice being in a different environment from the usual bus.

When I'm on the bus, I usually either stare out the scenery, or am on my phone, no in-between.

I worked out a while ago exactly how many days I had to work until I retired. I count them off one at a time.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

What aren't you enjoying about them? Just saying you don't enjoy them is a pretty broad complaint.

Honestly, it sounds more like you don't like the job, than it is an issue with the time at which you're working.

One thing I can suggest; don't just laze around in bed. As soon as you wake up, get up, make your bed, and start your day.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:44 PM, Teddy07 said:

- Going early to bed so I wake up without an alarm clock

- no alcohol the evening before

- watching a video/stream while making and eating breakfast

- doing a short dumbbell training secession

Haha, I actually find it easier to wake up after a night of drinking...

On 2/9/2019 at 3:48 AM, wANKER said:

Ride a motorbicycle. 

Buses are depressing 

Buses aren't that bad, all depends on how you use your time on them. The only reason they'd be depressing is because you go into them with that mindset.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:24 AM, fpo said:

I’m curious how most people enjoy their commutes. 

I usually walk to and from work most of the year, except when it drops below -15. Love it. Gives me time to enjoy some tunes and a little fresh air.

7 hours ago, 1kv said:

Exactly. 

You're right. The UK isn't as safe as it used to be. The main cause of this is that the police service just doesn't work anymore.

When my house got broken into last year it took the police 7 hours to arrive. It's stupid.

Might not be the best idea to joke about that but alright..

To be fair, unless there's an immediate threat to your person, the police shouldn't be responding to a burglary immediately; there are often much more important, pressing things for them to respond to. If it's a slow day, they might, but they're not going to show up blues and twos.

Taxis are considerably more expensive, if you take the money you've spent and put that money towards something you actually enjoy, or a trip, it'd likely be a better use of the funds. Again, public transport is fine, and the issue in this case is yourself, not the method of travel.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red