Razer Kraken Forged - where to buy

LinusTech

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1cblBvQ

Amazon: http://geni.us/do9cASG

There's no doubt the Kraken Forged from Razer is expensive, but it also features the best build quality I've ever seen in a $300 headset, and perhaps the best build quality I've ever seen in a headset.

With that said, non-bass-lovers need not apply as these are some seriously bass-heavy headphones.

The fit & finish of them is truly amazing.

If I could have headphones that looked/felt like these, but sounded like AH-D600s... I'd pay handsomely.

Something by Razer that doesn't look like cheap plastic? Oh it costs $300 :D

I admit they do look nice for a razer product, but I don't think I'd ever buy these. It's too expensive, in my opinion.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

If I could have headphones that looked/felt like these, but sounded like AH-D600s... I'd pay handsomely.

How would you say the DT770's compared to them in terms of sound quality? They sound like they might share similar quality characteristics except with the felt material being more comfortable for longer sessions compared to (what appears to be) pleather. The main differences between them as per what you described being build quality in favor of Razer's headset may not be necessary to some as neither appeal as a mobile solution (to me anyway.)

Error: 410

I have strong doubts from Razer's previous headphones that these will actually live up to $300, anyways you can get HD600s for the same price (used or very near @ $320 new) and it won't have the same EQ graph as beats.

$300 for a headset? Buy a audiophile grade pair of headphones and a mic.

Did you watch the video, click the link, or do any research? These are headphones and headphones only.

They look fantastic! Too bad they're a closed design that's geared toward bass... wish it was more flat. :/ whatevs. I'll stick with my Audiotechnica's :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1cblBvQ

Amazon: http://amzn.to/1cBP3JQ

There's no doubt the Kraken Forged from Razer is expensive, but it also features the best build quality I've ever seen in a $300 headset, and perhaps the best build quality I've ever seen in a headset.

With that said, non-bass-lovers need not apply as these are some seriously bass-heavy headphones.

I'm agreeing with you about how it should have been more gaming sided. 300$ is a bit much for something that won't do you good all around in my opinion. 

I love they way you did this also, how you put it to the test for what kind of music and sound it meant for. Headphone reviews should always be like this! The burn in period was also a great idea. Loving how you'r doing these. 

Only thing you where missing is the line in mic quality. I think we all know how it sounds, but still for others might be a good idea. Don't think anyone spending 300$ on a Razer product would use it often.. But then again there are those people.... 

I have strong doubts from Razer's previous headphones that these will actually live up to $300, anyways you can get HD600s for the same price (used or very near @ $320 new) and it won't have the same EQ graph as beats.

Did you watch the video, click the link, or do any research? These are headphones and headphones only.

In my mind the HD600s are not really in the same category as these. They are built like junk (plastic, ew), they are an open design, and they are targeting a VERY different audience.

I just got a pair of HD600s and while they sound much better to my ears, my first "audiophile-grade" headphones were the HD555s, so Sennheiser's sound signature is one that I love and my ears are very used to.

For someone who spent their teen years listening to beats, something like the Kraken Forged might make a ton of sense since it's "kinda like that, but better". My friend who loves the Hammerheads would absolutely DIE to have a pair of Kraken Forged headphones...

I'm agreeing with you about how it should have been more gaming sided. 300$ is a bit much for something that won't do you good all around in my opinion. 

I love they way you did this also, how you put it to the test for what kind of music and sound it meant for. Headphone reviews should always be like this! The burn in period was also a great idea. Loving how you'r doing these. 

Only thing you where missing is the line in mic quality. I think we all know how it sounds, but still for others might be a good idea. Don't think anyone spending 300$ on a Razer product would use it often.. But then again there are those people.... 

I'm working hard on getting better at this audio product review thing... Thanks for noticing that. With that said, missing the mic was a definite oversight. I guess I was treating them like PURE headphones (for much the same reason I missed testing the mic quality of the Sennheiser Momentums) but I should have considered that many gamers will buy them and care about that.

And comparing with The V-Moda M-100?? i dare say the M100 are a better deal!

The M 100 are damn sturdy and portable thats why i bring them up

They look amazing and but they cost way too much. Linus any chance of a giveaway... :P

I'm working hard on getting better at this audio product review thing... Thanks for noticing that. With that said, missing the mic was a definite oversight. I guess I was treating them like PURE headphones (for much the same reason I missed testing the mic quality of the Sennheiser Momentums) but I should have considered that many gamers will buy them and care about that.

I can see where you're coming from. Always takes a few tries and a few errors to get something just right. These also do seem more of a pure headphone product. Maybe the mic just being something for phone calls or somewhere near that. They seem like more of a portable device than something most would plug into their PC. 

Thanks for the reply also, don't know how to explain it but you connecting with your community just makes it feel so loving to be part of this entire thing. I had many experiences where someone was in power, but never connected with the fans, made me feel like nothing special. 

It really means alot Linus, thanks! :)

In my mind the HD600s are not really in the same category as these. They are built like junk (plastic, ew), they are an open design, and they are targeting a VERY different audience.

I just got a pair of HD600s and while they sound much better to my ears, my first "audiophile-grade" headphones were the HD555s, so Sennheiser's sound signature is one that I love and my ears are very used to.

For someone who spent their teen years listening to beats, something like the Kraken Forged might make a ton of sense since it's "kinda like that, but better". My friend who loves the Hammerheads would absolutely DIE to have a pair of Kraken Forged headphones...

Personally I've only spent some time with HD600s don't own them, yet. The plastic seemed quite tough for plastic though. Even though they're targeting a different audience I don't think when you put " Gaming " in front you're going to be getting out of your house because who carries their desktop around (Shh LAN party people). I guess you can take them out but I don't think that would be the biggest target audience for mobile audio. Open vs closed isn't going to do much and a bigger sound stage is " better " for gaming in a way.

Edit:  I mean to mention that my opinion is probably biased in the manner that I'm someone who enjoys listening to classical and 99% of their playlist is classical. Though I don't see a need for an overpowering bass because while HD600s excel at classical and other genres and they don't have an huge boomy bass for techno,dubstep, and the sort they seem the most natural or personally the way things should be heard.

If you want premium bass headphones that don't lack in the mids and highs, Audeze is the way to go but you would have to pay a premium for them, vmoda has been a huge recommendation for bass lovers but they can also lack in the highs, just like the krakens

$$金Trill金$$

If I had $300 to spend on a headset, I would probably get the Sennheiser G4ME Zero. If I'm buying a headset for gaming, it needs to have a boom mic of some sort in my opinion.

so the sound of these headphone was bad in highs and mids but only good in bass ( like beats ), and also expensive as hell, nahhhh

i think i will buying Audio Technica PRO700MK2

but seriously, this headphone look beautiful 

'sup i come in peace

sorry for bad languages  ;)

If I had $300 to spend on a headset, I would probably get the Sennheiser G4ME Zero. If I'm buying a headset for gaming, it needs to have a boom mic of some sort in my opinion.

Huh, That looks like a pretty good headset, I would not mind seeing Linus doing an unboxing of that

Where can I find the electronic music playlist that Linus mentions in this video? I'm curious to hear it in my headphones.

Not unexpected, heavy on the bass side, just what I'd expected of Razer. I'd read a member's review of the Razer Blackshark, that got me curious so I went and got one...a used one at half the retail price (would never pay full price for a Razer headphone/headset). It was complete junk for most pop music and songs with vocal....it sounded muffled with the bass overwhelming the mids and highs. The member had said that he had to turn down the bass setting to get it to sound better, tried that but it seems it was designed with bass in mind, the mids and highs still sounded muffled......absolutely no soundstage and transparency at all. Don't get me wrong, I love bass as well (using a Shure SE215 IEM simply because it has better bass than the Westone I was looking at, but too much bass can be quite a strain on the ears. But, the silver lining was that for gaming, the Blackshark was pretty good......explosions and gunfire do have that extra 'oomph'. 

So, what Linus had said in the review sort of jell with what I'd expected the Kraken Forged to sound like, definitely should be better than the Blackshark anytime, but still bass heavy with terrible vocals (though I'd expected Razer to have improved on this). Still, this headphone will sell simply because some treasure form over function.....just look at the number of Beats headphones/IEM's sold.

BTW, the HD555 was my very first audiophile (or near it) headphones, tried some others over the years but always go back to the Sennie. It's still my preferred cans for listening to music.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Incredibly bass heavy, can i therefore say that this is the same as $80 Razer Krakens, a set of headphones with surpressed mids and highs [in order to artificially 'bring' out the bass] except built with aluminium and charged 300% more?

I think yes.

Change the title from "where to buy" to "why would you buy". $80 dollar headphone drivers in a $200+ housing...  pass.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

AMEN

AMD FX 8350 8-Core CPU (Stock 4GHz) | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | (Rev. 4.0) | 8GB 1600MHz HyperX Fury | AMD R9 270 (MSI Gaming OC Edition) | NZXT H440 (White) | Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB (7200 RPM) | Corsair RM750m 750w Fully Modular Power Supply

Dell 23.6-Inch 1080p 60hz IPS Display | Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard | Logitech G502 Proteus Core | iSymphony Wireless Stereo Speakers | Windows 8.1 (64-bit)