Steam Hacked - But dont PANIC!...... the exploit is now fixed ..

Muffinmaddness

Source ( will post other when/if they become available)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3elt4w/several_twitch_streamers_just_got_hijacked_and/

(Post is from Reddit) 

The streamers Summit1G, Phant0ml0rd, Goldglove and JoshOG and I'm assuming a ton more just lost their steam accounts to what presumably is a major breach in steam security - I lost my items to a hijack similar to this 4 days ago where I never received an email saying someone had logged into my account from a different PC. My advice to everyone here is to change passwords immediately, a lot of streamers are losing their accounts.

Edit: Looks like it's fixed. Steam support should send an email regarding your account soon.

Edit 2: http://puu.sh/jcSvM.jpg

Video On how it was done ( the "hack" does not work anymore ) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPl_BJoBaVA

Not much more to say I guess, a few streamers were affected and a handful of "normal" people, it would seem. So if you are unsure, change your password and use the steam guard function.

Valve seemed to have had it fixed within a few minutes though, but still, thought you guys would want to know. 

*will edit this when i have more time.*

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

RIP skins?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

my account was hijacked 2 weeks ago and due to horrible steam support i havent gotten it back.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

my account was hijacked 2 weeks ago and due to horrible steam support i havent gotten it back.

that sucks man, i must say though my origin account got hacked, called them up got it back within 10 minutes and they gave me a free game for the inconvenience =) they were really nice and helpful on the phone too...just wish steam support was half as good. 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

that sucks man, i must say though my origin account got hacked, called them up got it back within 10 minutes and they gave me a free game for the inconvenience =) they were really nice and helpful on the phone too...just wish steam support was half as good. 

i issued a message in june and havent gotten a reply back

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Steam Hacked - But dont PANIC!...... the exploit is now fixed ..

AAAAHHHH ! ! !  :lol:

This was so easy... I wonder how long this was a thing before it was reported...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

It always best to not share you username... 

Magical Pineapples

wow, that is a first class royal fuck up of a security system ever

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

How... I... I don't even. That's just... Whoever is responsible for that should never be allowed to work in IT/security ever again.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I got hit by it. Good job steam, not only is your support shit, but your security as well. Now I probably can't talk to my friends for weeks because I decided to remotely lock my account. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

The way they got through..... Damn, so vulnerable.

@Mike_The_B0ss You might want to know this.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Console peasants be like, "steam got hacked now as well!" 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

And it is fixed? Really? Because damn...that was beyond easy. How did that not get noticed?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I really have to ask; who or what do they have for security? Even a five-year-old can figure this exploit out, and Valve could not... why?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

The exploit was probably a result of the steam update that happen a few days ago and because of steam guard you couldn't do anything beside change the password

ò.Õ!?

The hell?  No way can that be really be all there was to it....Seriously?  Wow.

ò.Õ!?

The hell?  No way can that be really be all there was to it....Seriously?  Wow.

If you think Valve is paving the way to anything innovative or good, I'd keep guessing...

I wouldn't be bashing Valve this hard if their support actually existed.

Uhmm, I wish the Recovery system would ask for my email and phone number. Not username. or just my phone number. Like, I can choose.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Email Gaben himself. remember that guy who did a while back?? He was told by Gaben anyone at steam is support and he would help if he has the time

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This better not happen to me, my inventory is $3k. . .

You say to a public forum where you made your steam profile name available on your forum profile... haha

But yeah, this was uber stupid... I don't know how that got past testing

CPU:  Intel i7-4790K      Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14     GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1070 TI MINI     Motherboard:  ASUS Z97 Gryphon     RAM:  32GB G Skill Trident X     

Storage: 2x 512GB Samsung 850 EVO (RAID 0) / 2TB Seagate Barracuda     PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNova G2     Case: Fractal Design Node 804

You say to a public forum where you made your steam profile name available on your forum profile... haha

But yeah, this was uber stupid... I don't know how that got past testing

They Probably Didn't Even Think About It,Something That Simple Should Be On Lockdown,But It Shouldn't Have Gotten Past

If Valve had the job to protect the president of any country, the president would be dead within the first 5 minutes.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Wait - so they don't get access to our passwords? I just wasted like 5 minutes fishing up all the websites that I use my Steam password on... Changing steam password anyway.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.