NVIDIA Readying GM200-based GeForce GTX 980 Ti

NVIDIA Readying G​M200-based GeForce GTX 980 Ti

NVIDIA is preparing its second GeForce graphics card based on its 28 nm GM200 silicon, which powers the $1,000 GTX TITAN-X. There are several rumors surrounding what NVIDIA could name the card. Some sources suggest NVIDIA could name it the GeForce GTX 980 Ti, while others point at names such as the GTX 990 (to set it sufficiently apart from the smaller GM204-based GTX 980). 

The SweClockers report that sides with GTX 980 Ti for the name, mentions that the card could feature the chip's full complement of 3,072 CUDA cores, but feature 6 GB of memory, compared to 12 GB on the GTX TITAN-X. The memory bus width will stay at 384-bit. NVIDIA could allow its add-in card (AIC) partners to come up with custom-design cards, and so we could expect some cards with meaty cooling solutions (that keep the chip away from its 84°C temperature-throttle), and factory-overclocked speeds, to make the GTX 980 Ti even faster than the GTX TITAN-X. NVIDIA could time its launch with AMD's launch of the Radeon R9 390X.

source :http://www.techpowerup.com/211080/nvidia-readying-gm200-based-geforce-gtx-980-ti.html

Won't be a 980 Ti.  Ti is always unlocked.  980 is as unlocked as it ever will be.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

oh god, where is that SLSMS guy?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Am I the only one here that isn't gonna buy a Maxwell GPU but buy Pascal?

The GTX 780 wasn't unlocked I believe, which is why they made the 780 Ti

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 780 (x2, SLI) CPU: i7 5820k Motherboard: Alienware Aurora R4 Mobo RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB SSD: Samsung EVO 840

HDD: WD Green 3TB Cooler: Corsair H100i

So basically a titan x with half the original vram.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

Won't be a 980 Ti.  Ti is always unlocked.  980 is as unlocked as it ever will be.

It could be for marketing purposes.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i agree (saw this statement here quite a lot of times) but i though i'll still post it here since its kinda news/rumor :P

actually it was posted before, but I don't know why it was moved to the "Graphics Cards" section...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/335673-rumor-geforce-gtx-980-ti-arrive-after-the-summer/

i was surprised when i couldnt find any thread related to this in tech news thread :P

GM200 is already supposed to be unlocked. The x000 name in quadro cards is supposed to mean fully unlocked. The M6000 shares the same core count as Titan X. So Titan X is a fully unlocked chip in Nvidias own naming strategy. Yet it is rumored to not be and they take double floating point precision out of the Titan lineup.

Nvidia is basically just playing about now to see how much money they can get out of you by hyping product launches the actually mean zero to fuck all in real terms and all ya'll are falling for this shit.

It could be for marketing purposes.

And for marketing purposes, they will have to rename their whole lineup to accomodate cut down GM200?  Hell no they won't.  GM200 is a full 30-50% faster than GM204, you're not gonna release 1 extreme high end performance as a 980Ti and then the 980 a full 30-50% behind in performance in a completely different chip.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

For obvious reasons everyone with a brain will shout until they are blue in the face, Nvidia cannot call this new GPU the 980 TI nor the 990. If this mythical GPU truely does exist it will likely be called the GTX 985. Everyone needs to chill with this impossible 980 TI crap.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I'm gonna buy both since I got a nice job ! Or not since my girlfriend drains my bank account...

This is just Nvidia undercutting their own sales of Titan X. Although, the prospect of allowing board partners to design custom coolers for a rumoured "980 Ti" is attractive.

If people wanted the flagship card, they would buy the Titan X and pay its high price tag. If they weren't prepared to pay that much but still want a high performance card they would get the significantly cheaper 980, which still has an adequate 4GB of VRAM. That's how Nvidia's card line-up works. This new 980 Ti seems like it wouldn't really fit into their standard conventions.

Yes, Pascal will be awesome!

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Why would they not do a cut down GM200 to fit in between the 980 and Titan X and call it the 980Ti? I don't get why people keep saying there won't be a 980Ti. There very well could be.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Said this in the other thread already but the rumored 980ti is also something like 10% faster than the Titan X... so if it really does exist (which makes no sense) then Nvidia would either have stuffed even MOAR CORES on the GM200 or they're simply selling an overclocked Titan X. Neither makes sense.

Where would such a card fall in the price hierarchy? It would render the Titan X completely useless unless you really needed the extra 6GB of VRAM. We all knew the original Titan wasn't a fully unlocked GK110. 

I'm not saying Nvidia can't do an even bigger GM200 as a 980ti (although that means they've hidden the fact that GM200 isn't currently 100% unlocked - which I doubt). And then release a Titan X Black with the same number of cores. But that would be the silliest thing I've seen in a while. Especially since the 980 would be GM204 and the 980ti would be GM200. 

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

It wont be called 980ti

I hate it so god damn much when people say that.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Why would they not do a cut down GM200 to fit in between the 980 and Titan X and call it the 980Ti? I don't get why people keep saying there won't be a 980Ti. There very well could be.

GM202 with 2560 Maxwell cores? ~25% faster than a GTX980 clock for clock with 2GB extra VRAM over a 384bit bus?

Then it wouldn't be faster than the Titan X as the rumors state. But it's possible. Certainly makes more sense than an ever bigger Maxwell chip.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

For obvious reasons everyone with a brain will shout until they are blue in the face, Nvidia cannot call this new GPU the 980 TI nor the 990. If this mythical GPU truely does exist it will likely be called the GTX 985. Everyone needs to chill with this impossible 980 TI crap.

I agree 10000%, GTX985 is the most logical designation for this.

It won't be a 980 Ti.

It will, if anything, be a 1080 Ti. 

The 980 already has a big, unlocked chip. The Titan X already has a big, unlocked chip. Why would Nvidia roll out another GM2xx chip for a single 980 Ti? 

They're gonna save that core for the next run of cards, if even that. Pascal shows up next year so who is to say that Nvidia doesn't just sit on their ass and do nothing till then? 

I don't see any reason why they could not call it the 980ti. Sure it might break any kind of pattern that they have going with naming vs chip specs but who really cares about that. I would not expect it any time soon though because Nvidia will want to milk titan x for as long as possible.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Tell that to the GTX 660 Ti, which had the most cut-down version of GK104.

Not always, the GTX 660 was a full GK106 and 660Ti was a cut down GK104, and the 560Ti 448 core was a cut down GF110. They could call it GTX 980Ti 3072 core, in reality it probably will be GTX 980Ti because all marketing cares about is how easy for the consumers to tell where a product belongs in Nvidia's catalog, i.e. 980Ti > 980. 

It's just a name, it's mostly marketing, the only X80 Ti before was the 780 Ti, there isn't a tradition that says a Ti is a fully unlocked core, they can name it whatever makes sense for them. I don't think they ever planned to release something between the 980 and Titan X, if they do release one, it will be a reaction to the new AMD lineup.

It's just a name, it's mostly marketing, the only X80 Ti before was the 780 Ti, there isn't a tradition that says a Ti is a fully unlocked core, they can name it whatever makes sense for them. I don't think they ever planned to release something between the 980 and Titan X, if they do release one, it will be a reaction to the new AMD lineup.

Yeah a GTX 980 Ti would make a lot of sense as a response to upcoming AMD cards. It allows Nvidia to keep charging insane amounts of money for the Titan X, while still having a realistically priced competitor for eg. an R9 390/390X. So what I'd find most surprising here is if Nvidia releases a GTX 980 Ti before AMD releases their 300 series. Then Nvidia would mostly be cannibalizing its Titan X sales.