NVIDIA Readying GM200-based GeForce GTX 980 Ti

I think that the 980 Ti is a case of people getting hyped up over nothing. There's no place for this card in the market. Here, let me bring up some points Jay made last night.

• Some custom PCB 980s get up into the $650 - $800 price range. Then there's the Titan, which is $999, giving a gap between the custom board 980 market and the Titan. Calling it the 980 Ti would mean that it's also built on GM204, which means it would not have the same architecture as GM200, so it would have to be priced less than the Titan (<$999). This would mean that it would have to be priced around $750 - $800, which would undercut the custom board 980 market. How would you create a 980 Ti that would not destroy the market created by the board partners?
  • It can't be faster than the Titan if it's on GM204, so it would have to be less than $999, but there's nowhere for it to fit comfortably between the Titan and the custom board market without killing one off.
  • There was no 480 Ti, no 580 Ti and no 680 Ti. The 780 Ti was the first x80 Ti card.

If anything, sites like Tweaktown are using the 980 Ti to get clicks, therefore views, and therefore money. Of course, we'll have to see what happens this summer, but I bet you guys there will be no 980 Ti.

You have a point mister.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

Won't be a 980 Ti. Ti is always unlocked. 980 is as unlocked as it ever will be.

Not always, for example the 660ti uses a different GPU than a 660.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

You have a point mister.

Well, actually, Jay has a point, since he said that about an hour into last night's Tech Talk. I just paraphrased what he said. Frankly, I have to agree with him. With the way how the market is right now there's no place for a 980 Ti, and I'm sure that the last thing nVIDIA would want to do is piss off their board partners like EVGA, Asus, Zotac and MSI. If anything, a dual GPU like the 990 would be more likely, as there was a 295, 590 and 690.

Well, actually, Jay has a point, since he said that about an hour into last night's Tech Talk. I just paraphrased what he said. Frankly, I have to agree with him. With the way how the market is right now there's no place for a 980 Ti, and I'm sure that the last thing nVIDIA would want to do is piss off their board partners like EVGA, Asus, Zotac and MSI. If anything, a dual GPU like the 990 would be more likely, as there was a 295, 590 and 690.

Yeah a dual gpu solution would be better to ward off the 390x and since other cards like the 380x would be re branded stuff anyways nvidia has nothing to worry if the rumors are true.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

They already have! Maxwell launched 20% cheaper than Kepler, and the prices have ticked down a bit since launch as well.

Hmm? GTX 980 launched at $550 to the GTX 680s launch price of $500.

regardless of the name (1080p Ti, 980 Ti, Nein-80), the next nVIDIA vs AMD 28nm flagship battle is going to be awesome. both are power hungry, heat producing, facemelting flagship chips that are both pushing 28nm limits. seriously, whats not to love about flagship gpu battles (besides the verbal diarrhea from fanboys)?

28nm is what's not to love. Dammit TSMC, get your shit together and move on from this 2011 tech.

Hmm? GTX 980 launched at $550 to the GTX 680s launch price of $500.

The 780TI (flagship-flagship comparison) launched at 750.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The 780TI (flagship-flagship comparison) launched at 750.

Well if you're including the Titan X you also need to include the original Titan and Titan Black. Plus you're comparing two full Kepler families to just one full Maxwell family. Who knows how much a GTX 1080 Ti or GTX Titan Y (or whatever) could cost.

Calling it the 980 Ti would mean that it's also built on GM204, which means it would not have the same architecture as GM200,

This I disagree with. Calling it the 980Ti means it's called the 980Ti and nothing more. It doesn't mean it HAS to have the same chip/architecture as it's non-Ti variant. The only thing it does mean is that it will be faster than it's non-Ti variant. That's all.

Now, just to be clear; I'm not one of those people getting all hyped saying there will be a 980Ti. There very well might not be, but it's also not impossible.

There may not be a large price gap between the 980 and Titan X, but there is a sizable performance gap and that, to me, seems like a logical reason to release a 980Ti that sits between them with 6 or 8GB Vram. Will they do it though? I don't know, but I won't lose any sleep if they don't. :P

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

There may not be a large price gap between the 980 and Titan X

There isn't a huge difference between $550 and $1000? I dunno, a $450 difference seems pretty big to me. Of course, $550's the price for reference-based 980s; non-reference, custom board 980s are what fetch the high price points. With the way how the market is set up right now I see the 990 as more likely than a 980 Ti, that would probably not pose as much of a threat to the custom board market as a 980 Ti.

There isn't a huge difference between $550 and $1000? I dunno, a $450 difference seems pretty big to me. Of course, $550's the price for reference-based 980s; non-reference, custom board 980s are what fetch the high price points. With the way how the market is set up right now I see the 990 as more likely than a 980 Ti, that would probably not pose as much of a threat to the custom board market as a 980 Ti.

Some of the 3rd party 980's are a lot more than $550. Some of them start between $650-750.

You're right, there is a price gap and that, along with the performance gap, plays into the possibility that Nvidia could bring out another GPU to fill that gap. Whether they call it the 980Ti or not is another matter.

x90 cards in the past (from Nvidia) have almost always been dual-GPU cards, especially among the more recent generations, so in that regard, I doubt they'd call it the 990 - but you never know.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

A 980ti will not exist. There is no market for one.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Some of the 3rd party 980's are a lot more than $550. Some of them start between $650-750.

Yeah, I know. I was comparing to the reference 980 because Titans are only sold as reference cards. I am aware that some 980s start well above $650.

You're right, there is a price gap and that, along with the performance gap, plays into the possibility that Nvidia could bring out another GPU to fill that gap. Whether they call it the 980Ti or not is another matter.

We'll have to see what nVIDIA does this summer. I'm not putting my eggs into the 980 Ti basket until I see it. If it's released at a price point that won't threaten the custom board market then I'm pretty sure that'd please their board partners.

x90 cards in the past (from Nvidia) have almost always been dual-GPU cards, especially among the more recent generations, so in that regard, I doubt they'd call it the 990 - but you never know.

I know that too. The only one on the mainstream that wasn't was the GTX 200 series, the dual GPU was designated 295. Dual GPU in the 700 series was the Titan Z. Other than that, x90 has been the dual GPU. As I said, we'll see.

For obvious reasons everyone with a brain will shout until they are blue in the face, Nvidia cannot call this new GPU the 980 TI nor the 990. If this mythical GPU truely does exist it will likely be called the GTX 985. Everyone needs to chill with this impossible 980 TI crap.

Except, they can call it a 980 Ti. It's their nomenclature. Calling it impossible is a statement that you people with brains should re-evaluate. While i do not believe the 980 Ti will be faster than the Titan X out of the box, i do believe that it may outperform the titan X in gaming. I mean, look at the 780's and 780 Ti's compared to the original Titan. History often repeats itself, why can't it happen again here? 

Rather than doubt the existence of a 980 Ti, you may want to reconsider the existence of a Titan X in the first place. It is a Titan class card that underperforms in most of the area's that the Titans were designed to perform wonderfully in. FP64 being an example of that. I cant even consider it a gaming class card because its performance cannot justify its price. 

In my eyes, the Titan X is designed for elitists that only care for bragging rights, because its compute power is not even that impressive to be used in a heavy workload scenario. It is more so a card designed to make the price:performance of a 980 look even better when compared to that of the Titan X. Those who posted before me, saying its marketing, are 100% correct. Nvidia knows how to play the market and make money off of it, and there is no reason to not continue doing so. Even if they release a card and undercut the sales of the Titan X, they already conned enough suckers into buying it in the first place.

I will not be impressed by anything maxwell related, as we have pretty much seen everything its capable of. Time to wait for volta (Pascal) for some serious game changers.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Probability of the "980Ti" Card being real: Possible

Probability of the Titan X already being out, the 390X details not here yet, and nothing much else going on for all those clickbait tech sites: Definite

Probability of intersection: Possible

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Won't be a 980 Ti.  Ti is always unlocked.  980 is as unlocked as it ever will be.

Ti doesn't have anything to do with being unlocked, all desktop GPUs from nvidia are unlocked and overclockable

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

For obvious reasons everyone with a brain will shout until they are blue in the face, Nvidia cannot call this new GPU the 980 TI nor the 990. If this mythical GPU truely does exist it will likely be called the GTX 985. Everyone needs to chill with this impossible 980 TI crap.

Surely they can market the card as what ever the fuck they decide to, companies change or disregard naming schemes all the time. It will be called what ever they think is the best name, even if it doesn't fit in with their previous naming schemes.

Except, they can call it a 980 Ti. It's their nomenclature.

There were no x80 Ti cards until the 700 series. I think that because there was a 780 Ti everyone is now expecting there to be a 980 Ti, even though that was a one-off thing and not something nVIDIA's been doing for forever.

No 980 Ti.

JayzTwoCents even said during last nights Tech Talk that they wont be making one.

He has a close relationship with Nvidia and I would trust him over any other source.

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Ti doesn't have anything to do with being unlocked, all desktop GPUs from nvidia are unlocked and overclockable

In this context, unlocked means having hardware resources on the chip enabled. So a GTX 980 has a fully unlocked GM204 GPU, while a GTX 970 has a cut-down GM204.

There were no x80 Ti cards until the 700 series. I think that because there was a 780 Ti everyone is now expecting there to be a 980 Ti, even though that was a one-off thing and not something nVIDIA's been doing for forever.

Even if only one x80 card was a Ti, one still cannot say its impossible, because Nvidia can do it if they wanted to. When i said it was their nomenclature, it meant the literal definition of that word. They decided the naming scheme of their cards, and if they wanted to do something with the cards that failed to be Titan X's (Again, i do not know exactly what they will do, but i know something has to come of them) they very well could call it the 980 Ti, because they themselves dictate what things are named. Would it make sense? Probably not. Then again, i am still confused as to who actually believes the Titan X to be a real Titan class card, lol.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Except, they can call it a 980 Ti. It's their nomenclature. Calling it impossible is a statement that you people with brains should re-evaluate. While i do not believe the 980 Ti will be faster than the Titan X out of the box, i do believe that it may outperform the titan X in gaming. I mean, look at the 780's and 780 Ti's compared to the original Titan. History often repeats itself, why can't it happen again here?

Rather than doubt the existence of a 980 Ti, you may want to reconsider the existence of a Titan X in the first place. It is a Titan class card that underperforms in most of the area's that the Titans were designed to perform wonderfully in. FP64 being an example of that. I cant even consider it a gaming class card because its performance cannot justify its price.

In my eyes, the Titan X is designed for elitists that only care for bragging rights, because its compute power is not even that impressive to be used in a heavy workload scenario. It is more so a card designed to make the price:performance of a 980 look even better when compared to that of the Titan X. Those who posted before me, saying its marketing, are 100% correct. Nvidia knows how to play the market and make money off of it, and there is no reason to not continue doing so. Even if they release a card and undercut the sales of the Titan X, they already conned enough suckers into buying it in the first place.

I will not be impressed by anything maxwell related, as we have pretty much seen everything its capable of. Time to wait for volta (Pascal) for some serious game changers.

This 100%. Its their company, its their naming scheme. Just because Ti has ALWAYS been used with variants of the same chip doesn't mean Nvidia can release a GM200 980 Ti this time around. Hell call it 980 X if that makes you guys happy.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

Ooooo I say call it the 980 Redux!!!!! ;)  Anyhow I smell something cooking here.. I smell fear :rolleyes: . Seems since the 970 scandal all Nvidia has done is grab at straws and are trying to cover more than 1 ass that they have all of the sudden. More they throw at the 390's more they are going to face flop. AMD will not be outdone people. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. As far as GPU's ;)  :P  :D .

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

I'd be happy if it were just a 985 but on 20nm.  A special edition chip, given they're skipping 20nm for the most part.  Would be pretty nice, but a 990 would also be nice.  Everyone raved and wanted a 790 instead of the Titan Z, so.. BRING ON THE 990!  

Won't be a 980 Ti.  Ti is always unlocked.  980 is as unlocked as it ever will be.

Not quite true.

The GTX 660 had a GK 106 core, the 660Ti had a GK 104 core, same as the faster GTX 670 and GTX 680. That was very much a locked down Ti ;)