If you could warn all new PC users of something, what would it be?

Hunched

Whether it's something that caused you a headache as a newbie or something that you believe isn't as common knowledge as it should be, what would you warn all new or soon to be PC owners of?

Personally I had a hell of a time figuring out why my GTX 970 was rock solid in benchmarks and demanding games, but frequently crashed while playing less demanding titles.

I did all the research, read all the guides and watched all the videos, none of which mentioned my issue. Somehow I stumbled upon a plethora of complaints about GPU Boost, and at last fixed my issue, which wasn't even my fault.

Unfortunately it's only solvable by using a custom BIOS or enabling K-Boost in EVGA Precision X. Nvidia 900 Series has MAJOR issues with overclocking, see here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/784294/geforce-900-series/boost-feature-causes-gtx-970-980-instability-in-low-utilisation-situations/1/

Who would have thought a company bragging about how overclockable their new cards are would implement a technology that seemingly does nothing but cause issues in doing so, and make it difficult to disable?

Also, Mouse Acceleration which is enabled by default in Windows

I disabled it instantly, but not everyone knows what it is.

It would suck to play games for months and think you aren't good or your mouse is garbage because you don't know about acceleration.

Far Cry 4 had it permanently enabled for a while there and I had to play it with a controller for the time being...

What warning/advice would you give to a rookie PC owner?

I would warn them of console peasants creating a rebellion.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

I would say: Don't cheap out on your case. :D

Yep also motherboard if you might even have a itch to upgrade

I would warn them to hide their wallets when the steam sales start, to avoid humble bundle, and to leave gog alone

Unless of course they want to own 1000 games they never play :P

like me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I would warn them to hide their wallets when the steam sales start, to avoid humble bundle, and to leave gog alone

Unless of course they want to own 1000 games they never play :P

like me

Brace yourself, tomorrow the Holiday Sale begins :P

Brace yourself, tomorrow the Holiday Sale begins :P

Oh I am braced dont you worry

I only need 20 games to break 500!

https://steamdb.info/calculator/?player=shadowcaptain&currency=us

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Don't believe marketing BS especially CPU and GPU marketing bullshit.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

use anti-static wrist straps

Nope I wont, using my case/PSU as anti-static and grounding my self before building.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

As someone in the process of making my first build, this thread is already providing some great things to look out for, and I am surely going to keep an eye on this.

I built my current rig nakeeeeeeeeed. Well.. with boxers on... 

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Uhhm? Dont trust ads on russian sites and dont klick "yes" when you didnt start the download by yourself? (malware etc)

oh and everything els is or will be mentioned already

if possible put your cpu cooler in after youve connected the I/O and stuff. sharp edges ;)

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

If you're talking about tips for someone new to building a PC, then I would say never cheap out on the Power Supply, or more generally I guess, do your research on parts before buying.

For new owners who maybe bought a pre-built system, I would say clean it regularly and keep an eye on temperatures

Current System - Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 - Corsair H110i GT - 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ in SLI - XFX Pro Series Black Edition 1250W - Samsung 840 EVO 128GB Boot SSD - WD Green 2TB Mass Storage HDD - Fractal Design Define S Windowed Edition with Green LED Lighting provided by 2 Bitfenix Spectre PRO 140mm fans, and 2 Corsair SP140 Green LED fans - Samsung U28D590D 4K Main Monitor with BenQ GW2265 1080p Side Monitor

- Don't choose a PSU based off of brand, always find the OEM.

- Some air coolers outperform water coolers, I was heavily under the impression water cooling was superior in early research.

- Don't buy a case that has no dust filters, don't you do it!

- Positive pressure > negative pressure for less dust.

- Magnetic tipped screwdriver, trust me

- You can suspend a hard drive quite easily if vibration is driving you insane.

- Most people with poor to average overclocking CPU/GPU's don't seem to post their results, making you believe you've done something wrong or that you're way more unlucky than you actually are.

- I had a rare issue where my monitor wasn't receiving Full RGB despite using DisplayPort, somehow it thought it was a TV using DisplayPort... That was annoying to fix, some might not even notice that their blacks should look blacker.

- RTFM

Thinking of everything and anything no matter how trivial from my personal experience. The first post and this might be everything.

I don't know if HDD vibration and bad case fans are common, or if I'm just unlucky or picky, but those are things I'd suggest to keep an eye out for as I've experienced both. 

HDD can be suspended, fans require money to fix with entirely new fans.

1 word: Apple...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Didn't really give a shit about the case. Using the Corsair Spec 01 atm, it's not that bad of a case but the NZXT H440 in white... The regrets... But yeh, DON'T CHEAP OUT ON A CASE. Why? If you have friends who come over and not know a think about PCs, just by looking at the case, they make think it's high performance  :D

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Those "Doctors hate her!" Ads do not work.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Don't cheap out on a case, because proper dust filters are really nice to have. Also be careful with tower heatsinks when taking them out, i damaged my GPU's backplate quite badly with one.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I would warn newcomers to the GloriousPCMasterrace to beware the deadly sin of brand loyalty/fanboyism/hatred. Just because one dude had one bad experience with one product line of a company does not automatically make the entire company bad. All companies have defective units amongst otherwise perfectly functional ones. Bow to the law of Really Big Numbers and just RMA it if something breaks. It's not the company's fault most of the time. People criticize ASRock for questionable quality, but both my gaming rigs are built on ASRock boards from both extremes of quality tiers and they are brilliant platforms.

That getting a closed loop watercooler is not going to make your room and PC cooler for Summer.

Don´t buy cpu coolers, bigger than your case.

They told me it´s 160mm tall >:-O THESE LIARS

But performing very good for the price, so I decided to keep it.

Don't use the wrong screws when putting together your pc, also don't freak out if your motherboard doesn't come with all the proper screws for components, check your case. 

If its an H440 then the screws and cables are between the drive bays.

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core