If you could warn all new PC users of something, what would it be?

Hunched

I would warn them to hide their wallets when the steam sales start, to avoid humble bundle, and to leave gog alone

Unless of course they want to own 1000 games they never play :P

like me

dont be a sale shark

its dangerious. 

i lot my steam account with about 5k$ just games. xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I would warn newcomers to the GloriousPCMasterrace to beware the deadly sin of brand loyalty/fanboyism/hatred. Just because one dude had one bad experience with one product line of a company does not automatically make the entire company bad. All companies have defective units amongst otherwise perfectly functional ones. Bow to the law of Really Big Numbers and just RMA it if something breaks. It's not the company's fault most of the time. People criticize ASRock for questionable quality, but both my gaming rigs are built on ASRock boards from both extremes of quality tiers and they are brilliant platforms.

THIS SHIT IS THE BEST POST I HAVE SEEN IN 3 MONTHS 

OH

MY

GOD

YES

your wording is so frikken perfect.... 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Don't overclock ram

that too.

you can go ahead and try, jsut make sure its ram designed to be over clocked. xD

-Jim Hensen

dont cheap out, save up more.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

that too.

you can go ahead and try, jsut make sure its ram designed to be over clocked. xD

We'll you see. I got Kingston no heats king 8 gb ddr3 50 dollar ram. Overclocked it and it died :(

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

that too.

or in my case i had corsair 1600mhz ram and it was factory clocked at 1333, so i bumped it up to its 1600 speed.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

NEVER buy a cheap PSU!

Diablotek and Raidmax PSUs tend to be of the explosive variety...

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

PLAN VERY VERY VERY MUCH

I had to plan my build inside and out in about a month, take as long as you need. There is no rush, and who knows, the parts you want might go on sale. 

If you overlook something, or forget something, you may regret it.

fx 6300 - sapphire dual x r9 270x - Zalman z9 - Evga 500B - Cooler master hyper TX3 - Win. 8.1 - Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0 - Crucial ballstix sport 8gb (2x4) - WD blue 1TB - some random optical drive for 11$

Small cases may look cool, but they're hot, and assembling a pc inside one is a pain in the a@@.

Don't rush when building, don't panic if you have issues, and it's not personal, the machine isn't out to get you.

Choose parts that will not cause bottlenecks, so don't opt for a cheap CPU if you're investing in a really fancy and expensive GPU, or a really expensive CPU while getting a budget GPU.

Choose a case that will have everything inside fit snugly. 

CD drives can now be considered optional.

It's been said, but... watch out for steam sales/humble bundles!!! I have like 100 games on steam/origin and played like 10 of them in total :D but the majority of them is from humble bundles, so not a lot of money wasted :D

Buy dust filters! OMG they are so needed!

No matter the case, ALL included filters are rock filters and do nothing to dust, only get Silverstone Ultra Fine Filters

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Forget ever buying HDDs. Only use SSD's in your rigs.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Don't listen to people in this forum as the sole answer, look it up on the internet. Too many people just want you to end up in the same hole they are and recommend what they bought even if it blows.

Make a wise decision by seeking many angle on advice on something not just one forum where well they will lead you down the same hole they are in.

Then take the LTT video's with a grain of salt, he's paid by those products/brands, not doing it freelance (any more).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

dont be a sale shark

its dangerious. 

i lot my steam account with about 5k$ just games. xD

why would I lose my account

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Whether it's something that caused you a headache as a newbie or something that you believe isn't as common knowledge as it should be, what would you warn all new or soon to be PC owners of?

Personally I had a hell of a time figuring out why my GTX 970 was rock solid in benchmarks and demanding games, but frequently crashed while playing less demanding titles.

I did all the research, read all the guides and watched all the videos, none of which mentioned my issue. Somehow I stumbled upon a plethora of complaints about GPU Boost, and at last fixed my issue, which wasn't even my fault.

Unfortunately it's only solvable by using a custom BIOS or enabling K-Boost in EVGA Precision X.

Who would have thought a company bragging about how overclockable their new cards are would implement a technology that seemingly does nothing but cause issues in doing so, and make it difficult to disable?

Also, Mouse Acceleration which is enabled by default in Windows

I disabled it instantly, but not everyone knows what it is.

It would suck to play games for months and think you aren't good or your mouse is garbage because you don't know about acceleration.

Far Cry 4 had it permanently enabled for a while there and I had to play it with a controller for the time being...

What warning/advice would you give to a rookie PC owner?

How do I disable mouse acceleration?

bigger numbers dont mean shit

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

How do I disable mouse acceleration?

70c1s5.png

To topic:

Don't click fishy ads on the internet

Whenever you can download software only from the vendor site not 3th parties, only if you must and the site is trusted.

Don't cheap out on the psu. Believe me thats the worst you can do unless you plan to build a timebomb.

Read the damn manuals it doesn't hurt you.

Learn how to use google. Seriously please do. Half of the problems in troubleshoot section can be resolved with a 2 seconds search on google. MainboardName + Errorcode gives good results ;)

Starterpack for windows users:

Google Chrome

Addons: Adblockplus, uMatrix (NoScript for Chrome), DoNotTrack

Firefox (if you prefer)

Addons: Adblockplus, NoScript, BetterPrivacy (flashcookie manager), DoNotTrack, Lightbeam

CCleaner

Antivirus (Avg, Avast, whatever one you like)

Malwarebytes

LibreOffice

7Zip (#noneedforwinrar)

VLC

AIMP3

Should have gone with Mac....

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

Plan out the cable management. It looks ghastly and can make the PC run hotter otherwise. 

And no one wants a ugly computer. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Don't buy into exclusively one platform. I really wish I hadn't bought like 90% of my games on Steam now, when I could have gotten them for the same price, or in some cases cheaper, on a different platform.