Obsidian 250D Christmas Gift Build

MoDtEc

Hi there!

First a little warning for everybody: This is my first Buildlog, the parts dont really make sense and the pictures are taken with my phones' cam aaaand i forgot taking photos on some important points here but youll recognize that i think.

Short story for this build: My best friend is complaining about her old potato-PC for ages and so i decided to build her a new one. I got backup from her parents for this so i started building a PC which shuld do every-day use, office, media and some light gaming (Sims and stuff)

Partlist:

CPU: Pentium G5258

RAM: 4gig DDR3 1600 (dont ask for the Brand :D )

GPU: ATI (Yes i mean it) HD5850 i had laying around for almost three years now

MOBO: MSI H87 AC

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB I had laying around

HDD: WD BLUE 750GB 2.5' from a friend (he didnt even remember why he bought it)

PSU: Corsair CS450M

CPU Cooler: Corsair H55

Case: Corsair 250D obviously

Fans: 2x120 Which came with the case, 1x120 on the h55, 2x80 be quiet shadow wings but i pulled them out of the case because they are WAYYYY too loud even on 5V (yes i culdve controlled them with the board but it'd make no difference

J81ilxm.jpg

'dem parts (excluding the SSD i was searching for around one hour in my room)

rmqh3ER.jpg

I think we all know this picture :D -note: it posted without problems, even the BIOS version nedded for firing up a pentium K on a h87 chipset was already on there

z5noqAz.jpg

I decided to go with the h55 because there is not much room in this case and i wanted it to be quiet. Getting an aircooler which fits and is as quiet wuldve costed about 55€ and i got the h55 for 58, so heck! Hhy not?

PfytP7d.jpg

Mounting isnt a big thing on this cooler. Just putting the mounting-hardware together and installing the plastic- backplate:

ZaOZ1jh.jpg

idk why its like this but thats the only way it'd fit..... strange but works fine

vFUyRA5.jpg

That AOI-Beauty :D

z46kutD.jpg

The Obsidian ^^

Pbtke8F.jpg

5mDJnNY.jpg

They are "married" <3

kbOaJyc.jpg

The two drives im using

xiDq7nZ.jpg

The drive bays are to be accessed from the back of the case. I had some truble with cabeling these because i got quite large hands.

St6GAXu.jpg

This is how it looked like when i was almost finished. You may notive there is still no GPU in there.

BRT3F8h.jpg

I hate connecting IO panels exspecially in tiny cases

sMoUfdH.jpg

There it is up and running with some beautiful cable management. You wont see it with side ant top panels assembled though.

There was a certain problem with the GPU and the PSU

Smart me did not look up if there were enought PCIe Power connectors included.

QtBvagQ.jpg

You get the problem right?

Well i had a funny time considering what i was going to do about this. In fact you CULD run the system with the integrated graphics on the haswell CPU. But the day im ok with giving away a Desktop-Build without a dedicated GPU is either the day i die or Intel manages to get an integrated chip which performs around the level of an nvidia GTX x50 - x60 series Graphics Processor

Which simply means never.

But seriously Corsair culdnt you imagine that people might be running big cards on small PSUs? I mean look at keplers' power efficiency?!  - ending rant here

Anyways I ended up pulling the power cable out of my second system which is meant to power the 760 sitting there. Im not using it currently and it hasnt even an OS istalled at the time being so thats ok for now.

jHS6Y0W.jpg

I pulled out the 80mm because tey where wayyyy to loud as already mentioned. The loudest thing is this ridicolus 5000rpm cooler on that poor hd5850. I think it will be replaced in the rather near future anyways.

As you can see in the background the OS is installed (Win7), all drivers are ready.

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

JSHe7tu.jpg

So conclusion:

Everything runs fine and it was a lot fun to build. The friend which is going to get this is the best friend i ever had and shes going to love it. Her build right now is some crappy Athlon x2 (The VERY old ones not "Kavieri" or how they are called now) and some stone-aged hdd. The responmsiveness of the ssd is going to blow her mind i think.

Im not including benchmarks because tomorrow is (in about 20 minutes actually) Christmas eve and im very lucky that i manged to get everything installed on time. Due to work and Christmas preparations this was a close one.

The build is almost unhearable if you stop the GPU fan. I told him to spin as slow as pssiple in afterburner and its now on an ok-ish noise level for me so itll be very fine for her (the coolers on her old machine culd be compared to a starting airplane sometimes).

I like the overall finish on the 250d, its very sturdy and quality made as any other obsidian case ive worked with until now.

I would appreciate tips how i can do better in terms of posting very much due to this is (as mentioned) my first build.

And dont dare to mention camera quality! :lol:  I'll be using a nikon 70d on my next builds.

Have a nice Christmas everybody and a happy new year ;)

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

That's a really nice budget oriented build. It's good that you have decided to treat your friend for Christmas! :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

That's a really nice budget oriented build. It's good that you have decided to treat your friend for Christmas! :)

The feast of love :wub: :D

Thanks btw ;)  glad you like it

Main Rig:

-

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Not sure if I missed it. Did you OC the Pentium?

Overall, that is a really nice build, with tons of airflow for the size. Why did you went with ITX?  

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Very nice how you actually managed to colour-coordinate this very budget build. I mean... All the PCBs are black! I was expecting some poop-brown in there.

Very nice how you actually managed to colour-coordinate this very budget build. I mean... All the PCBs are black! I was expecting some poop-brown in there.

Magic :D

I had the black pcb'ed gpu lying around and the rest was simple. Thanks god manufacturers are starting to notice that MOBOS with eight diffrent colours look like crap. ;)

Main Rig:

-

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Hey mate,

cute little build! I really love the 250D, such a beautiful case.

Why didn't you run the 2x 80mm bequiet fans with an 5V or 7V Adapter?

i did they were still louder!!!!!!! than the hd5850 on 5V! that is ridicolus :blink:

Main Rig:

-

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Not sure if I missed it. Did you OC the Pentium?

Overall, that is a really nice build, with tons of airflow for the size. Why did you went with ITX?  

Because i wanted to use the case and because i can?

I planned to OC it but i didnt got time. i may do it some time but i will look people up who did that on a h87 before i take the risk of blowing up a mobo which actually isnt mine :/

Main Rig:

-

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Did you test the 80 mm silent wings individually to see if one of them was broken? I recently used two of them in that 3000€ build that i told you about. They were absoluteley brilliant and silent.

who cares...

Looks solid enough to me. Half decent GPU too :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

You have been friend zoned. Good build though.

Actually i dont mind being friends with girls. And we know each other since the stone ages ;)

Thanks anyways :)

Looks solid enough to me. Half decent GPU too :)

Uhh yeah i really didnt know what to do with it. 3rd Pc didnt made that much sense to me so i threw it in there ;)

Main Rig:

-

Obsidian 250D Build Log

• 5 weeks later...

Nice build Overall I think it made your friend really happy... B)

Btw: The picturequality is actually not too bad (Y)