If you could warn all new PC users of something, what would it be?

Hunched

I would also suggest you power your mobo up with the bare essentials to hit bios prior to installing everything in your case. That way if something doesn't work you know before you wasted time shoving it in a case!

Fanboys, that would be my warning, everything from hard drives to GPU's are fanboyed on, get straight facts always.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

its not possible to get temps lower than ambient temps,

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Nope I wont, using my case/PSU as anti-static and grounding my self before building.

Same, I am usually holding my case when working on my rig or building one. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Troubleshooting bluescreens and general crashes. It does not happen all the time but when they give you an code that you just can not track down or the only thing they give you is a code that is so general that there would be quite a few reasons... or the best one, no code at all. But like I said, it can be rare to have a crash, for me and my old system I get them quite often.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

make it upgradable, don´t lock your upgrase paths. Buy a mobo that supports 2x times the ram you need and supports SLi or crossfire, Also make sure to get a good psu. Don´t buy an ssd if you have a tighter budget (those are useless if you don´t need super fast boot times or if you wont do some editing)

Do not buy a cheap chinese unbranded PSU and jeapardize your entire system as a result. (Cheap case/PSU bundles are notoriously likely to include such an item)

Always ensure to buy a quality unit from a known OEM, look for one that's 80+ certified and if you're not sure if it's a good unit just ask the forum.

Don't buy the cheapest parts just for a low cost. Be sure to get quality parts, or you will most likely suffer later on. I don't mean expensive when I say quality though, I just mean parts that come from reputable companies with better statistics and reviews. It'll really help in the long run.

Something, something, something, famous quote, computer specs, and stuff...

1. Spend the extra on a quality power supply, and research the hell out of your choice there.

2. Don't overspend on the board just because you think you may use SLI in a year or two (you probably won't if you're not planning to use it right now).

3. RAM is RAM. No need to buy fast RAM unless you're gaming on integrated graphics, where RAM speed actually does make a difference.

I built my current rig nakeeeeeeeeed. Well.. with boxers on... 

Great idea, would recommend. +1

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I would warn them to hide their wallets when the steam sales start, to avoid humble bundle, and to leave gog alone

Unless of course they want to own 1000 games they never play :P

like me

I have always dedicated my heart and soul to one game at a time.

Gog completely broke me and my habits.. now i'm stuck with too

many games, and not a single game to single out and play first.. 

An all or nothing scenario resulting in chaotic nothing. 

Don't cheap out on anything, especially the case/PSU/mobo.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just because something has a "Gaming/Overclocking/Workstation" Branding doesn't make it better then something else.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Prebuilt pc's and the ratio of i7 to r7 260 lol

Wow, what a waste of money.  There's a horse load of games you've never even launched.  

Why do you buy them if you never play them?   

edit// $3,376.79 of unused games.    I could buy a decent used car for that much. 

4. Don't cheap out and buy a placeholder CPU. If you do, you're not using your expensive graphics card to its full power and in 6 months when you upgrade to that i5 your graphics card has probably gone down in price and there is maybe something better at the price you paid.

5. The best places to go cheap are storage and the CPU cooler. Skip the SSD now if you're on a tight budget and in a few months you can pick up a better one for a cheaper price. Skip the aftermarket heatsink because there is no need to overclock your i5-4690k right now, as it's a killer gaming CPU right now at stock speeds; the ability to overclock gets more important later in the CPU's life when you're trying to keep up with Intel's i5 from a couple of generations later. Besides, wait a couple of months and you'll have money to get that nice closed loop water cooler without handicapping the rest of your system by trying to buy it now and cutting into your GPU/CPU/PSU budget.

Do not buy a cheap chinese unbranded PSU and jeapardize your entire system as a result. (Cheap case/PSU bundles are notoriously likely to include such an item)

Always ensure to buy a quality unit from a known OEM, look for one that's 80+ certified and if you're not sure if it's a good unit just ask the forum.

Don't even know how to react to your Username.

Pretty box is supposed to distract you from shittyness of the product inside.

It is the sole purpose of it.

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome