Remember those consumer SSD's that survived a petabyte of writes? Well the 2 Petabyte barrier was just crossed...

bcredeur97

Hey guys, was browising twitter again and saw that the article from a while back was back about consumer SSD write performance.

The Tech report just crossed the 256 GB 2PB barrier and only two are left, the Samsung 840 Pro, and the 240GB Kingston Hyper X 3K (though it has some uncorrectable errors :( ) (keep in mind these are only 240/256, 512 or more drives have more flash and can theoretically last much longer O_O)

survivors4.jpg

The 840 Pro had about 8GB worth of reallocated sectors:

vitals-840pro-reallocated.gif

They also said the used block reserve was a better indicator of drive health than the typical wear leveling count.

vitals-840pro-life.gif

The hyper X 3K appeared to actually be better with only 124 Megabytes of reallocated sectors!

vitals-hyperxcomp-life.gif

BUT it had some uncorrectable errors, which means for the average user: REPLACE THE DRIVE IMMEDIATELY.

vitals-hyperxcomp-errors.gif

This is insane how much these drives can withstand, if you were ever scared about SSD life, get one of these drives it will probably last you longer than  a hard drive actually!!!

Source: http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

that sounds awesome, but before anyone could utilize that amount of data I would guess the ssd would be outdated or slow after 10 years

that sounds awesome, but before anyone could utilize that amount of data I would guess the ssd would be outdated or slow after 10 years

This is true. By the time you get to the point of writing that much data to a SSD, newer and better and cheaper SSDs have been launched, thus allowing your SSD to experience a failure and you not being as screwed on a replacement. 

Guess I'll have to get myself both a 840pro and a 850pro then this 840 evo with total bytes written at 1.75tb can go to my HTPC.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I wouldn't really call it survived if there were some "uncorrectable errors" in the data being read/written to the drives. they're basically failing at this point but it's still cool.

This is just insane. It's good to hear an update on this.

I wouldn't really call it survived if there were some "uncorrectable errors" in the data being read/written to the drives. they're basically failing at this point but it's still cool.

only the Hyper X 3K had uncorrectable errors, the samsung had some reallocated sectors but was still going. crazy lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

only the Hyper X 3K had uncorrectable errors, the samsung had some reallocated sectors but was still going. crazy lol

that's a little better then :P

So your saying I dont have to worry about the 850 pro in my work machine?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Awesome. That's what I call a quality product.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

My 250GB Samsung 840 as 10 TB in total writes of normal use as a boot drive after 2 years. so it can it 100 years easily. I now have 2 500GB M550 in raid 0.

850 Pro's can last multiple times longer then a 840 pro.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

i had to purchases a new ssd after my intel 330 died glad i went with the 840 pro 2pb thats all most indestructible i should have this drive for a long time 

I came.

and thats with the old drives... they dont even stand to new 3D nand drives, these are probably twice as durable, because they dont have to have a crammed manufacturing process...

waiting for intels 3D ssd, although it will take half a year...

Let's not forget that just because 1 SSD from brand X reaches this level of rewrites, does not mean they all will. I would find it more likely that we're looking at 2 cherry picked SSD rather then assume that every one of the units from that model has been blessed by the flash gods themselves. Probably best to take the mode average (just my opinion) failure rate into account for any plans or expectation of failure rate(s).

Woohoooo my 2x 840 Pro's!!!!!!

:)

Nice read.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

My 250GB Samsung 840 as 10 TB in total writes of normal use as a boot drive after 2 years. so it can it 100 years easily. I now have 2 500GB M550 in raid 0.

850 Pro's can last multiple times longer then a 840 pro.

Same here. Bought mine November 2013, and it's currently at 11.62TB.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

updated the post with some images and stuff. Sorry about the wait. Was working on my dads car (which hasnt been running for 2 weeks now...) :/

Spoiler

Mark my words, Samsung 850 Evo is the one to get whenever it's out.

and this why I bought an 840 pro...I'll never use that much data, but I tend to go overkill.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

giphy.gif

:o  B) Would putting it in RAID lower the lifespan to Almost Forever? :blink:

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

This is true. By the time you get to the point of writing that much data to a SSD, newer and better and cheaper SSDs have been launched, thus allowing your SSD to experience a failure and you not being as screwed on a replacement.

Actually most people would have probably retired the ssd for other reasons by that time.

Mark my words, Samsung 850 Evo is the

one to get whenever it's out.

Such a pity they didn't include an 840 EVO in this test (I believe it had just been released when they started it) it would have given us a good idea of how well the TLC SLC combo works. With VNAND TLC it should really be awesome though, I guess TR will have to make another test with VNAND SSDs once these fail xD.