Remember those consumer SSD's that survived a petabyte of writes? Well the 2 Petabyte barrier was just crossed...

bcredeur97

it has been almost year and total bytes written on my 840 is only around half a terabyte. I'm probably taking that to the grave.

This is great, but hmmm not all that impressed, that's around couple of dozens GBs per day across 10y span.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

:o  B) Would putting it in RAID lower the lifespan to Almost Forever? :blink:

Your likely hood of failing is 2X while the max total writes is the same as 1 drive at the same size. (2 500GB raid0 vs 1 1TB)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

So are they testing them till they die as in they're still being tested?

yes, indeed they are! They are testing until they refuse to work.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1