Kessya; Kiss Cables Goodbye (high speed wireless data transfers)

dizmo

I didn't see this posted here yet, which kind of surprised me. There's an error in the search function so..

Keyssa, a company led by Tony Fadell (inventor of the iPod, Nest) in the forever amazing Silicon Valley, as developed a new, very fast method to transfer data.

Called Kiss Connectivity, it simply lets users transfer large amounts of data within seconds by tapping the devices together.

To put it into perspective, they transferred Avatar in 1080p from a hard drive that has the Kiss connector, to a Dell tablet within 5 seconds. The same file usually takes about a minute to transfer from USB.

Granted, the devices have to be extremely close, but the fact that you no longer need wires is amazing. And that speed!

NFC: 400 kilobits.sec

WiFi: 1.35 gigs/sec

USB: 5 gigs/sec

Kessya: 6 gigs/sec

One of the only downsides that I can see is that both devices have to have the Keyssa wireless module in them.

That said, they've already stated that there are a few top tier companies testing and working with the technology.

They don't want to say just which companies have the technology, but it's safe to say Dell is one, and Samsung and Intel as well, as they're both invested in the project.

Apparently this could also be used to speed up wireless charging, which I really hope takes off soon.

While I don't think it'll get rid of the need for ports as it'd still be nice to have the option to use a mobile battery pack, or the turbo chargers that are currently coming out, I think it'll be an excellent way to transfer data.
I hope it somehow gets incorporated into some PC cases in the future, much like the Qi pads that adorn some cases.

The tech is going to be released on devices next year (2015).
I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again. The next couple of years are going to be very interesting in the tech space indeed.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/keyssas-kiss-connectivity-wireless-transfer-567293/

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Options are kinda iffy. Yes I would like this, but no I wouldn't buy a phone just because it has wireless transferring.

What would you add?

The questions weren't necessarily related.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What would you add?

The questions weren't necessarily related.

It's just the wording seems slightly strange to me.

It's just the wording seems slightly strange to me.

Basically asks if this feature would make you go towards that device. Like if the HTC One M9 had it, and the S6 didn't, you'd lean more towards the HTC.

So you understood it correctly. ;)

I'm more interested in the potential wireless charging aspect. Faster is better. If the phone packed no ports at all...even better still.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

When wireless charging becomes even close to energy efficiency of cables, then i will start using it and only then i will want the phone with this feature.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just fyi, dont use the forum serach function, it is crap. Always use google advanced search and put linustechtips.com as the site to limit your search.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

When wireless charging becomes even close to energy efficiency of cables, then i will start using it and only then i will want the phone with this feature.

Here here.

Though I doubt it'll be as powerful as the turbo chargers any time soon, sadly.

The data transfer rate and the fact its wireless would be pretty cool for tablets though, where you're more likely to transfer large files back and forth.

Just fyi, dont use the forum serach function, it is crap. Always use google advanced search and put linustechtips.com as the site to limit your search.

Thanks

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Thanks

Ya welcom :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if they want to kill all the data cable with these, they better have the same latency as a wire, if not its just a glorified NFC type transfer

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This is great. While I seriously doubt I will kiss cables goodbye this is neat on the view of populist movements. Assuming there was only one version of anything that had to spread below the radar (I.E. not through monitored data lines) then it could do so locally through every person in America. Assuming the technology proliferated.

Although there is the case of the entire phone being monitored. I digress.

This technology is awesome. More power to the people.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

All I can think of is what happens then the device has issues and needs to be connected to a computer to do a factory reset, or for the people that want to root/jailbreak devices. Physical ports are needed for software override

So... which frequency band are they using?

My guess is the 60 GHz band

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

So... which frequency band are they using?

My guess is the 60 GHz band

That was my immediate thought as well.

Interesting that Samsung is invested though, weren't they working on their own 60 ghz band stuff?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

That was my immediate thought as well.

Interesting that Samsung is invested though, weren't they working on their own 60 ghz band stuff?

It's the only option I can think of, because most other bands require licensing and/or haven't had much development done in them.

If their intention is for data transfer to be done at very short distances (within 1 meter) then they might be using the 122 or 244 GHz bands, which are unlicensed and have huge amounts of bandwidth available to them, but are attenuated tremendously by the atmosphere.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

This sounds awesome, no more docking stations and card readers.

if they want to kill all the data cable with these, they better have the same latency as a wire, if not its just a glorified NFC type transfer

Why would latency be an issue?  even latency up to 10sec's would still be a faster transfer than USB.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I would like this.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I havent had a problem with search via forum. However i have always done it on mobile version.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I havent had a problem with search via forum. However i have always done it on mobile version.

Its pretty bad. You can search for the exact words in the title or tags of a post and it wont find it...which is why so many people repost news topics because they think the topic has not already been posted when the search function doesnt come up with anything. The best way is to use google. It finds everything, even topics that were deleted by mods.

Spoiler

MicroUSB yes but not mini USB. That thing is indestructible. I like cables and I always will however if it became so much better then cables which it never will then I probably would. But that will never happen.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Skylake's wireless charging is more efficient than 1 foot of copper wire.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

MicroUSB yes but not mini USB. That thing is indestructible. I like cables and I always will however if it became so much better then cables which it never will then I probably would. But that will never happen.

Hardly anything uses mini USB anymore.

The file transfer rate here is already faster than USB 3.0. So...it's already better than cabled transfer rates for the more common cable types until 3.1 is widely adopted. 

Skylake's wireless charging is more efficient than 1 foot of copper wire.

Why would Skylake have wireless charging?

Any links?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Interesting. I wonder if they'll actually use it with the chip though, it sounds like it's more of a separate technology.

Either way Skylake is sounding like a better and better chip all the time. Glad I held off upgrading.

I hope Apple doesn't make it hard for others to utilize it.

Another plus in that this may in fact mean that this companies tech can also improve wireless charging, as it's more the WiGig band that allows for it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler