Kessya; Kiss Cables Goodbye (high speed wireless data transfers)

dizmo

Wouldn't we reach bottle necks in the read/write of the destination or source?

I'm pretty sure standard hard drives can't read at 6 gigabytes per second. 

I feel like it would be just as fast as usb 3.0

Wouldn't we reach bottle necks in the read/write of the destination or source?

I'm pretty sure standard hard drives can't read at 6 gigabytes per second. 

I feel like it would be just as fast as usb 3.0

Gigabits. So ~600 megabytes per second iirc.

Which, you're right, isn't that much faster than USB 3.0.

But I think you're missing the point entirely. It doesn't use wires; USB 3.0 does.

It's almost 5x faster than what is currently available.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Gigabits. So ~600 megabytes per second iirc.

Which, you're right, isn't that much faster than USB 3.0.

But I think you're missing the point entirely. It doesn't use wires; USB 3.0 does.

It's almost 5x faster than what is currently available.

Hmm, I guess with respect to wires, that is pretty impressive.

It's the only option I can think of, because most other bands require licensing and/or haven't had much development done in them.

If their intention is for data transfer to be done at very short distances (within 1 meter) then they might be using the 122 or 244 GHz bands, which are unlicensed and have huge amounts of bandwidth available to them, but are attenuated tremendously by the atmosphere.

It is. Which might be why Samsung invested. At least if they have their hand in both WiGig and this, they can't really lose completely.

I think this is meant for very, very near field communications. Almost touching devices, etc.

Basically just eliminating the cable. Which is why I'd love to see cases with the chip built into them.

It'd be pretty cool to have external hard drives that you just sit on the case to transfer data.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If it's talking about "touch the thing to the other thing, but no wires!" then there's no way it would replace all my wires regardless. There aren't that many things I could imagine this being useful for either, at least not for my typical activities. I mean, if way down the line I already have a case with it, and my laptop has it, and my tablet has it, and my phone has it, then I would probably think it could be a worthwhile option for like a portable hard drive (though if it's really "touch range" then it would have to be just a quick transfer and then put it away since there's not going to be a good place to have the hard drive in contact with the laptop/tablet/phone during use unless it needs a lot less surface area or has a lot more range than I'm imagining.

Not that this isn't cool, it's just that any kind of contact data transfer needs to be done in an instant and setup ahead of time since I'm not going to be holding those two things together for several seconds when I could just plug in a cable instead.

If it's talking about "touch the thing to the other thing, but no wires!" then there's no way it would replace all my wires regardless. There aren't that many things I could imagine this being useful for either, at least not for my typical activities. I mean, if way down the line I already have a case with it, and my laptop has it, and my tablet has it, and my phone has it, then I would probably think it could be a worthwhile option for like a portable hard drive (though if it's really "touch range" then it would have to be just a quick transfer and then put it away since there's not going to be a good place to have the hard drive in contact with the laptop/tablet/phone during use unless it needs a lot less surface area or has a lot more range than I'm imagining.

Not that this isn't cool, it's just that any kind of contact data transfer needs to be done in an instant and setup ahead of time since I'm not going to be holding those two things together for several seconds when I could just plug in a cable instead.

This (bolded text) is pretty much what they're hoping for.

Not only that, but how is transferring data at that speed not cool? Personally I'd love to be able to do that without having to pull out a cable, carry around a cable, fumble with finding a rear USB port if there's none on the front of the case, etc etc.

It just has to be close. It doesn't have to be touching as far as I know.

It also impacts wireless charging, which could receive huge improvements with tech like this. Intel's working on something similar, and can charge a laptop within 1m from it's charger, through a table.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I think that dedicated line connections will be phased out. Not because they are slower, because I believe you will always be able to get a faster dedicated line but because the research may not go in to dedicated lines.

Such a push for wireless. Then we find out it gives us cancer or something. :eyeroll:

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

I think that dedicated line connections will be phased out. Not because they are slower, because I believe you will always be able to get a faster dedicated line but because the research may not go in to dedicated lines.

Such a push for wireless. Then we find out it gives us cancer or something. :eyeroll:

Everything causes cancer. Cancer is just natures way of killing you off.

:P

I think USB 3.1 will take hold and hopefully eliminate a huge majority of the cords out there. I'd love to see there be one or two cable types, not the countless ones they have now.

Wireless is still cool though. And if it takes years off the end of my life, when quality of life is lower anyway, so be it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

This (bolded text) is pretty much what they're hoping for.

Not only that, but how is transferring data at that speed not cool? Personally I'd love to be able to do that without having to pull out a cable, carry around a cable, fumble with finding a rear USB port if there's none on the front of the case, etc etc.

It just has to be close. It doesn't have to be touching as far as I know.

It also impacts wireless charging, which could receive huge improvements with tech like this. Intel's working on something similar, and can charge a laptop within 1m from it's charger, through a table.

The bolded text is what literally EVERY group that makes a standard is hoping for. It's the whole "getting to that point" that's the difficult part. I mean, I know I wouldn't buy an external hard drive that only works with my desktop so I can't use it with my laptop or anybody else's computer, so unless I'm in the minority there I don't see how their going to GET the standard on every device if it's not worthwhile until it's ALREADY on every device. But regardless, as I said I don't really see the point. Sure you now have a wireless something-or-other that can transfer data quickly, but without a cable powering the devices becomes an issue. If you put an internal battery in everything then that drives up the cost and you still need to remember to recharge it, and while full-on hard drives might be fine with that what about the equivalent of thumb drives (or whatever else people call them)? Are you going to leave those on the charging pad all the time just so you can avoid a fraction-of-a-second to plug it in instead of just placing it at a very specific location?

And you're talking about combining it with wireless charging (which I find to be very unnecessary anyway) but if you're going to be leaving your device there for several hours while it charges why do you need to transfer data so quickly? Even if you're transferring a file and want it done quickly, how much of the process of moving a file between two devices is actually wasted by using a cable? It's not like you plug in the cable and then instantly have your data, you need to then go and find the file on the one device and find where you want to put it on the other device and then move it there, which takes way more time than the actual transfer or plugging in the cable. Also, for my phone for example, I don't bother with the cable anyway and just send it over the internet. Already no cables, and I didn't have to get a new phone or new computer to use it.

As for being "cool"... It's just data transfer, yeah? Faster data transfer is good, but I wouldn't really call it "cool" to have a number and then increase it. We already have wireless communications, so what if this type is a bit faster at close range? I'm not objecting to more speed, but it really doesn't seem like enough to consider it a "feature" so I'd only get it if it was so cheap that there could be two devices where one is better in all ways AND has Kessya. Unless they have a lot of money to throw at putting it in everything I just don't see it getting to that point.

Finally, if it's just "close" range then they're going to have to put some security on it to keep people from messing with your data. Depending on what sort of model they choose for it, that could end up being more of a hassle than cables.

I think the biggest issue here is the distance. From that video it seems like they are saying that things like Ethernet will be obsolete. However if I have to touch devices then how close does my computer have to be to the router? Maybe if they could get these speeds over a couple of feet. But then it just looks like wireless, which I try to avoid. I have had far too many issues with connectivity over wireless. Maybe if they make some kind of new dock that charges and transfers files.

That said. I would definitely use something like this if it worked throughout my whole house and did not drop out. 

The bolded text is what literally EVERY group that makes a standard is hoping for. It's the whole "getting to that point" that's the difficult part. I mean, I know I wouldn't buy an external hard drive that only works with my desktop so I can't use it with my laptop or anybody else's computer, so unless I'm in the minority there I don't see how their going to GET the standard on every device if it's not worthwhile until it's ALREADY on every device. But regardless, as I said I don't really see the point. Sure you now have a wireless something-or-other that can transfer data quickly, but without a cable powering the devices becomes an issue. If you put an internal battery in everything then that drives up the cost and you still need to remember to recharge it, and while full-on hard drives might be fine with that what about the equivalent of thumb drives (or whatever else people call them)? Are you going to leave those on the charging pad all the time just so you can avoid a fraction-of-a-second to plug it in instead of just placing it at a very specific location?

The power can be transferred through the wireless signal much like wireless charging. So that's not an issue.

And you're talking about combining it with wireless charging (which I find to be very unnecessary anyway) but if you're going to be leaving your device there for several hours while it charges why do you need to transfer data so quickly? Even if you're transferring a file and want it done quickly, how much of the process of moving a file between two devices is actually wasted by using a cable? It's not like you plug in the cable and then instantly have your data, you need to then go and find the file on the one device and find where you want to put it on the other device and then move it there, which takes way more time than the actual transfer or plugging in the cable. Also, for my phone for example, I don't bother with the cable anyway and just send it over the internet. Already no cables, and I didn't have to get a new phone or new computer to use it.

No, I wasn't. It can be used to enhance wireless charging that already exists. You don't like wireless charging, loads of others do. It's a selling point for me.

That second point doesn't even make sense. Who said I would be transferring data while I was charging? They're not tied together. Maybe I want to quickly load a few movies to a tablet. I'd rather have it done in under a minute than over 10.

As I've already stated...this is much faster than WiFi.

I don't want to have to carry cables. I don't want to have to look for cables all the time. I can have less clutter without cables. All wins.

It's not meant for what you have now. Obviously.

As for being "cool"... It's just data transfer, yeah? Faster data transfer is good, but I wouldn't really call it "cool" to have a number and then increase it. We already have wireless communications, so what if this type is a bit faster at close range? I'm not objecting to more speed, but it really doesn't seem like enough to consider it a "feature" so I'd only get it if it was so cheap that there could be two devices where one is better in all ways AND has Kessya. Unless they have a lot of money to throw at putting it in everything I just don't see it getting to that point.

Different strokes for different folks. There's probably loads of things you think are cool that I would not.

It's considerably faster than any wireless communication we have so far; 6x.

Finally, if it's just "close" range then they're going to have to put some security on it to keep people from messing with your data. Depending on what sort of model they choose for it, that could end up being more of a hassle than cables.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

That was my immediate thought as well.

Interesting that Samsung is invested though, weren't they working on their own 60 ghz band stuff?

Obligatory tag of @OriginalPromise because Samsung was involved.

OT

For data transfer I would love this. Have like a wireless charging pad type thing that you lay your phone down on that will/can downloa stuff onto your phone from your PC and vice versa? Yes please.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Place phone on pad on desk: Instantly access all files on phone and start charging.

Place phone in car: instantly loads whole music library and enables internet connectivity. Starts charging.

Place laptop on desk: docked to peripherals, internet and charging.

Yea I'm keen.

Place phone on pad on desk: Instantly access all files on phone and start charging.

Place phone in car: instantly loads whole music library and enables internet connectivity. Starts charging.

Place laptop on desk: docked to peripherals, internet and charging.

Yea I'm keen.

This is what I would love to see, just put your phone there, and the rest just happens. Also with the laptop idea, that would be awesome. Put your laptop closed on the spot and your keyboard/mouse/screen/externel HDD/extra graphics card(:D) are instantly connected and you are ready to go.

// TODO: Update signature to include PC buid.