VESA Brings DisplayPort Through USB Type-C

GoodBytes

The Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) is working with the USB group to give the ability of USB new coming up Type-C connector the ability to send DisplayPort signal through it (this include video and audio), and still provide USB connectivity.

119a.jpg

The technology will be called DisplayPort Alternate Mode, and it will allow USB Type-C to support adapters to convert the audio and video signal to HDMI, VGA, and DVI like normal DisplayPort can.

VESA utilized the Alternate Mode functional extension of the USB Type-C specification in the development of this new Standard. The DisplayPort Alt Mode repurposes some or all of the four existing SuperSpeed USB lanes to deliver full DisplayPort performance, and uses other signaling available in the USB Type-C connector for DisplayPort's AUX channel and HPD (Hot Plug Detection) function. This enables computers, tablets, smartphones, displays, and docking stations to implement the new USB Type-C connector at both ends while using the DisplayPort Standard over USB Type-C to transmit high-resolution A/V along with USB data and power.

In addition, you can use a USB Type-C cable to DisplayPort, to allow you to operate current DisplayPort compatible monitors.

Like USB, DisplayPort uses a packetized data structure and differential AC-Coupled signal "lanes" that carry high speed data with an embedded clock. This allows the same electrical circuits and cables to carry either SuperSpeed USB data, at up to 10 Gbps per lane, or DisplayPort, at up to 8.1 Gbps per lane, as defined in the new DisplayPort 1.3 Standard. Early implementations of DisplayPort Alt Mode USB Type-C devices will likely use existing DisplayPort 1.2a capabilities that support up to 5.4 Gbps per lane. Using 5.4 Gbps across all four high-speed lanes will support up to 4K (4096 x 2160) display resolutions at a 60Hz frame rate with up to 30-bit color.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/205573/vesa-brings-displayport-to-new-usb-type-c-connector.html

W00t

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

This is what we need. A universal port that is standardized and in everything, that can handle everything. Power (100w+ of electricity), Video (i.e. DisplayPort which covers audio), Data (i.e. files), just everything.

Like USB 2.0 is now, but better than USB 2.0. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

this is awesome, and its full blown DP whit its latest implementation, 4k 60hz and also adaptive sync since its 1.2a, the applications of this connector are far much greater that ever, every device should have at least one of this port now, when its ready for production

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

#USBMASTERRACE

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Going to be really odd to see USB ports in the back of the graphics card

I don't think there are going to be USB ports on the GPU itself... it's going to be the monitors.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I don't think there are going to be USB ports on the GPU itself... it's going to be the monitors.

It would have to be on the GPU itself to make it universal..... Unless we are going to have display port to USB connectors to the monitor, which wouldn't make anything much more universal as the GPU ports would still remain a different port. Unless I'm wrong of course and there is no point in the display port aspect of the USB other than maybe for hubs?

This got me excited...

Now the question is when this will hit the market...

also this just killed thunderbolt, it has almost the same flexibility as it but for a fifth of the cost (or more!), and can be in a much wider range of devices

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

So for example I could hook up my phone to my TV and play Netflix charge battery at the same time and access my phone storage?

(Assuming that there will be mini connector version for phone).

Sounds a bit odd to me. USB is a terrible standard AFAIK but at minimal to no cost. Thunderbolt would make more sense in my mind but I think there's a lot of patent bs tied to it.

Anyway if they can make this work and it's not just a quick and dirty way type thing, great.

Sounds a bit odd to me. USB is a terrible standard AFAIK but at minimal to no cost. Thunderbolt would make more sense in my mind but I think there's a lot of patent bs tied to it.

Anyway if they can make this work and it's not just a quick and dirty way type thing, great.

The problem USB has is that:

-> It's not dedicated to something, so there is a performance drop. Although, DisplayPort seams to by-pass the USB controller, so it should be like you used a native DisplayPort cable

-> It uses the CPU to manage everything, the controller of USB is simplistic in design, but this is why USB is so cheap to implement and use, as no additional hardware is needed, beside the controller of course, which cost nothing as it doesn't really process anything, just manages the protocol, sends anything to process to the CPU, and the CPU goes to the USB controller asking if it's done with the work or not (example: file transfer), every now and then, and not have the controller poke the CPU saying "Ya I am done", as, well it doesn't process anything to do this.

While thunderbolt is technically speaking better in performance, performance is not everything. Cost is. And help Thunderbolt, for the fact that nearly all peripherals aren't fast enough or genuinely need the extra bit of performance from USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt (let alone USB 3.0).

If anyone is interested:

AnandTech goes in greater details on how it will all work: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8558/displayport-alternate-mode-for-usb-typec-announced

now the only question is which one will take off first?? USB or thunderbolt??

I hope USB does and it reaplces EVERTYTHING. even HDMI on consumer devices. Displayport is sooo much better.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

now the only question is which one will take off first?? USB or thunderbolt??

I hope USB does and it reaplces EVERTYTHING. even HDMI on consumer devices. Displayport is sooo much better.

I think it's pretty obvious that USB will take off first.

The more I hear about USB 3.1 C the more I like it, but I am worried about one thing. I would like to see HDMI being compatible as well, so that I can plug it into my TV.

I saw HDMI 2.0 being mentioned in the Anand article but hasn't really read it thoroughly yet. Will passive USB 3.1 type-C to HDMI 2.0 be possible or will it be some crappy active cable with reduced quality? The only experience I've had with active DP adapters has been awful (quality loss during the conversion).

I think this might be it for Thunderbolt. It costs more and support less than USB 3.1 type-C. It will be interesting to see how Apple reacts to this as well. They would benefit from changing too.

I think it's pretty obvious that USB will take off first.

The more I hear about USB 3.1 C the more I like it, but I am worried about one thing. I would like to see HDMI being compatible as well, so that I can plug it into my TV.

I saw HDMI 2.0 being mentioned in the Anand article but hasn't really read it thoroughly yet. Will passive USB 3.1 type-C to HDMI 2.0 be possible or will it be some crappy active cable with reduced quality? The only experience I've had with active DP adapters has been awful (quality loss during the conversion).

I think this might be it for Thunderbolt. It costs more and support less than USB 3.1 type-C. It will be interesting to see how Apple reacts to this as well. They would benefit from changing too.

DisplayPort is backward compatible to HDMI with an inexpensive adapter. You can find cables that is DisplayPort (or mini-DisplayPort, if you want that) in one end, and ends with an HDMI plug.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411401505&sr=8-1&keywords=DisplayPort+to+HDMI

So it will be no problem. You should be able to find Type-C to HDMI.

Universal Serial Bus is finally becoming truly universal! Woot Woot!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

YESSS!!! ONE Cable For EVERYTHING!!!

Im SORRY for:-1. My Broken English. 2. "if" posting wrong section. 3. "if" my replay hurt someone. 4. "if" posting already posted before

Because im new to active forum >.< (bow) please kindly guide me thanks

I wonder if you can use the cable as a usb data and displayport at the same time.

If so, then that would be pretty cool. We could potentially see screens with hard drive enclosures built in.

But I think i can see it being only used as either a usb cable or as a displayport cable

DisplayPort is backward compatible to HDMI with an inexpensive adapter. You can find cables that is DisplayPort (or mini-DisplayPort, if you want that) in one end, and ends with an HDMI plug.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort/dp/B004C9P9TM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411401505&sr=8-1&keywords=DisplayPort+to+HDMI

So it will be no problem. You should be able to find Type-C to HDMI.

Well I am reading the Anandtech article and it says DP++ is not supported, so the cable you linked would not work. It needs to be an active cable and from my experience (which is very very limited) those cables can degrade quality significantly.

Maybe I was just unlucky and had bad adapters, but I did a blind test with my mom and she could clearly see that the VGA port had far better quality than the DP to HDMI adapter I was using for our TV (the laptop I used only had VGA and DP, and I wanted a single cable for video and sound).

Unless there are active cables which has lossless conversion (again, I have very limited experience with active DP cables so they might exist) then I think this is a step backwards from the 11-pin USB 2.0 port with MHL (at least in the video out department, everything else regarding 3.1 type-C is far superior).

I wish DisplayPort was on every monitor/TV. If it were we wouldn't have this issue.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Now the back I/O panel on motherboards with integrated video outputs will not be crowded with unused outputs.