How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

Random events give me random money to do random stuff. I keep the rest.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Work, and work some more - oh and work.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Nothing. $2 a day for every day of school. That does not add up at all. I also cannot refrain myself from spending it.

Reading the posts here, I get no clue how much you each have spent.

Today I was lucky enough to have enough to upgrade my HP 700-084 64 bit Windows 8.1 16GB system.  Was able to place an order for an EVGA GeForce 780 SC together with a Samsung 840 EVO Series 500GB 2.5" SATA III ssd. The ssd will be mounted in a Silverstone Tek HDD to SSD bay converter and although has space for 2 SSD's, only one roost position will be used at setup.  

Other details ordered was a Monoprice SATA III 6.0 Gb/sec Data cable with a locking 90-degree plug together with a Silverstone four position capacitor stabilized SATA power connector.

Also picked up previouslyan LG 14X Internal BDXL Blu-Ray Burner Re-writer (WH14NS40) bulk drive last month  It will burn CD RW's at 24x and read them at 48x with many other options available with varying speeds dependent on the disk type used.  

The ssd was 259.00 USD,  

The EVGA 780 Super Clocked (SC) card was 487.96 USD

The 18" SATA III 6Gbs data cable was 4.85 USD

The Silverstone 3.5 to 2.5" HDD to SSD Bay Converter silver hold down bin (SDP08) was 7.99USD

The BLU-Ray Rewriter was 66.00 USD

I need to check the powe suppy that came with the HP system as it may need upgrading to handle the  780 Video Card.  

When building the system I will most likely first add the video card to get that upgrade running and stable. After the 780 SC card,  I plan to install the Samsung SSD and integrate the on-board HHD just as linus describes on his video regarding this exact drive.  I do not know if you all recognize it, but the crew here at Tech tips is definitely many levels above many,  There definitely are some others that are good but for breadth and depth, the crew here is to be paid attention to.

My          big question for  the crew is why do I always notice the Hostess Twinkies and Human Organ box in the background.   I have even seen one of the builds with a Twinkies Box in the case  noticeable only the the case ribs during a very fast oblique video shot.   Does Linus call his wife "Twinkie" by chance and he wants her to know in his own way that because she is so sweet, she is always on his mind. (Except that is when her hard drive or  SSD fails and she is all in a tussle.  Saw that shot did any if you here?

Ok El_Gringo out of here,  

bay converter

I could do that, but my dad is really set with Apple like for real. I could receive a Macbook no problem. THough I hate apples.

do that and then sell it

I worked my ass off at two different jobs and spent every penny I earned on it. Still ended up with a seriously half ass setup and jobless, car less, and soon to be homeless but fuck it.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

just spend no money and ate beans

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

do that and then sell it

He will kill me. Literary..

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

He will kill me. Literary..

ask him for a mac pro and run windows on it

My dad gave me the APU, motherboard, and RAM as a Christmas present in December 2012. I used Xmas money to buy Windows 8 and a HDD then set it up, reusing all the parts I could from my old computer. (Crappy P4 system.) Then over time I upgraded it. In summer 2013 I started mowing lawns which meant I had money to buy parts. I got a new GPU, AIO water cooler, mouse, etc. In Xmas 2013 I got my Phantom NZXT case which replaced the crappy old Thermaltake Xaser V I had. I used my Xmas money to buy another 20 inch 1600x900 to replace the old 1280x1024 I was using as a second screen. Since the grass isn't growing I can't really make money for upgrades. (I want/need a new keyboard, I would like a new motherboard or at least a unlocked Phenom, but the problem is that I have laptop projects that need funding like upgrading my E6500 or getting a broken D430 to fix up and replace the Toshiba netbook I broke.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

My dad gave me the APU, motherboard, and RAM as a Christmas present in December 2012. I used Xmas money to buy Windows 8 and a HDD then set it up, reusing all the parts I could from my old computer. (Crappy P4 system.) Then over time I upgraded it. In summer 2013 I started mowing lawns which meant I had money to buy parts. I got a new GPU, AIO water cooler, mouse, etc. In Xmas 2013 I got my Phantom NZXT case which replaced the crappy old Thermaltake Xaser V I had. I used my Xmas money to buy another 20 inch 1600x900 to replace the old 1280x1024 I was using as a second screen. Since the grass isn't growing I can't really make money for upgrades. (I want/need a new keyboard, I would like a new motherboard or at least a unlocked Phenom, but the problem is that I have laptop projects that need funding like upgrading my E6500 or getting a broken D430 to fix up and replace the Toshiba netbook I broke.)

You could sell your old parts? I heard that will earn alittle of income.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Got a job through college. Before that, had a really boring, annoying and tiring job at a call center.

Also I try to get some parts used/refurbished instead of paying full price.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

You could sell your old parts? I heard that will earn alittle of income.

Eh. I have other things I should sell.. (Couple laptops and a couple Tecumseh engine parts.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

i asked my parents for money and they gave it to me

:D

Did you ask them for something small, like about $5, every couple days for a long time, or did you just say "Can I have a $1000" to your parents, and they gave it too you?

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

Did you ask them for something small, like about $5, every couple days for a long time, or did you just say "Can I have a $1000" to your parents, and they gave it too you?

the latter

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I did a bunch of work for my parents and saved for a long time.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I have a well paying job, and I also have my son, so I can't put an entire paycheck on a PC. So I save up little bit little for the entire year, until I get my Income Tax check, and I put the money I saved with my income tax check, and go shopping on Newegg and frozencpu. lol

But thats just once a year.

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

Save? Pfft :P

I just buy what i can, 1200 a fortnight pay and 233 a fortnight rent helps greatly for spare cash :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Birth days christmas, and now I work so theres that

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

For me I just bought bit-by-bit. I eventually got everything I needed. First I would start of enough to have a bare bone system then I just slowly built up to it.  If you can't wait I suggest you get another job or find some way to get money... LAWLZ

I'm 14 and will have been at my job 3 years this summer, once in the summer I worked every day for over a week at 8 hours a day. It's safe to that paycheck went straight to my PC which is now fairly beast.

Check out my Build Log: Project Contrast