How did you guys save up for your PC?

Go to solution Solved by lani100,

Work, Repair some stuff for family and friends and ask some money for the jobs and I buy some used hardware and build computers and sell them with a llittle profit.

This is aimed for at people around my age, that can't get a job yet. I'm 15 and I babysit my little sister for money. What do you guys do?

I mow my huge lawn for quite a bit of money and I wash my parent's cars.

Save up money for 2 years by doing yardwork

I know that feel. Before my sister was born I hard to do hard manual labor for money.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I repair/build computers for people. Just yesterday I made $100 for going to a local business and connecting their new computers to the office's network and drives.

Easy for me, looks like magic to them :D.

How do you get people to know you do that kind of stuff? I would love to do that but I don't know how.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Magic...

At least that's what I call it... I cut expenses on transportation and food (from an already measly ~20USD(converted) a week) to save up... No time to work (damned tertiary education system)...

My job

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

+1 for AMorassOfPixelz suggestion. Best way is to start offering to help people you know, that's what I used to do. Local businesses might not want a 15 year old working on their computers but neighbors sure will.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i5 4690K | G.Skill Ripjaw 4 GB (desperately needs upgrade) | MSI Radeon R9 290 | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB SSD | Seagate Constellation 1 TB HDD (also needs upgrade) | NZXT Kraken X61 for CPU | NZXT Kraken X61 + G10 for GPU | Corsair M45 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | ASUS Xonar DSX | Denon AD-H2000

How do you get people to know you do that kind of stuff? I would love to do that but I don't know how.

I have a site

Www.10khelp.weebly.com

And I advertise on local ad boards, on some websites, and we have a thing in Vermont called Front Porch Forum, which is basically a neighborhood forum, so I post to that every few weeks. I don't get a ton of business, but $50 or $100 two, three times a month never hurts.

I'm looking into getting a job at the local Apple retailer soon :D (sadly, Vermont gets no official Apple Store love).

+1 for AMorassOfPixelz suggestion. Best way is to start offering to help people you know, that's what I used to do. Local businesses might not want a 15 year old working on their computers but neighbors sure will.

I earned 5USD (converted) for cleaning up and optimizing a neighbor's notebook... Can't charge too high since it'll scare off the customers...

Well I'm not sure what the barrier of entry to the workforce is there.

When I was 15 I was living out of home and working full time. Before that I'd been working cash in hand at a takeaway shop since I was like 12. Look around, you will most likely find something you can do and get paid for.

If you can babysit your sister, offer your services as a baby sitter to the wider community perhaps. 

I earned 5USD (converted) for cleaning up and optimizing a neighbor's notebook... Can't charge too high since it'll scare off the customers...

I installed Photoshop on my sisters friends computer. Wasn't gonna ask for money, but she gave me $20 for it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Well I'm not sure what the barrier of entry to the workforce is there.

When I was 15 I was living out of home and working full time. Before that I'd been working cash in hand at a takeaway shop since I was like 12. Look around, you will most likely find something you can do and get paid for.

If you can babysit your sister, offer your services as a baby sitter to the wider community perhaps. 

I babysit right after I get out of school 5 days a week. At that rate if I do anymore I won't have time to play with my new components. But in the U.S. you have to be 16 to get a job legally, and even then it's very difficult.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Just save money, don't spend ...

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I have job

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Just save money, don't spend ...

I'm fine with money, I'm just curious how everyone else my age gets money for their components.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

I'm fine with money, I'm just curious how everyone else my age gets money for their components.

At your age I was just collecting money I didn't spend when I was 14.. at age of 15 I got to a point I got enough, and bought myself a new cpu, mb, etc... to boost up BF3 performance :x.... Well, I couldn't stay with a crappy PC.

Now Im 17... I still am saving the same way for a new GPU i want.. (Uhm... GTX 980)....

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I installed Photoshop on my sisters friends computer. Wasn't gonna ask for money, but she gave me $20 for it.

Lucky... Considering the local economy is keeping my fees low... I'd have charged 5USD an hour for labor plus a 5USD diagnostic fee if I could... It'll also scare off my customers...

Lucky... Considering the local economy is keeping my fees low... I'd have charged 5USD an hour for labor plus a 5USD diagnostic fee if I could... It'll also scare off my customers...

Man that must suck. At least you've got customers though ;).

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

I got my job when i was 15 and unfortunately im still there 4 years later. Get paid twice as much as i did when i started though and get to talk shit to managers and tell people what to do which is nice.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

5 bucks here will buy you a cheeseburger or something, charge atleast 20, 20 bucks is still like nothing but it actually adds up after a while 

5 bucks here will buy you a cheeseburger or something, charge atleast 20, 20 bucks is still like nothing but it actually adds up after a while 

I'll scare off my customers... I charge really low since I'm in a low-income neighborhood... The fixes don't cost too much too... I charge slightly higher if I'm working with higher-income brackets...

I'm also trying to undercut a lot of repair shops around here... Like SST... They charge 40USD for diagnostics plus a 10USD per hour labor plus parts and software fees (even though some software are free)... Not to mention the long repair times (changing out a fan can take as long as two months last time I asked), crappy warranty terms, and possible invasion of privacy...