Have you ever owned an Apple device?

dizmo

The Real Question  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever owned an Apple product?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

So much forehead and chin...

That's all I can say about Bezels. I personally don't understand the want for phones to go bezel-less. It just makes compromise. That being said, I'll probably pick up a XR instead of the 8 Plus bc of the battery life and camera gains. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

There was a time when I wanted an iPod for music playing. But once I got my Android phone, I realized how much simpler transferring music to and from my device was(for me at least).

I like macOS/OSX though, it's a pretty good operating system. I don't know that I'd pay Apple tax for even a used Mac, though.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

That's all I can say about Bezels. I personally don't understand the want for phones to go bezel-less. It just makes compromise. 

I'd rather have a phone with larger side bezels and no top and bottom bezel, that way I can hold on to the phone without touching the screen

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

I used to have an iPod Classic 80gb, it was pretty amazing at the time.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I don't know that I'd pay Apple tax for even a used Mac, though

Look for faulty Macs on classified sites. I got mine for £30 because it kept shutting down, turned out it just needed the dust cleaned out.

I agree about Mac OS though, I was (and still am) a Windows fan, but Mac OS is just so easy to use

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

2006 macbook

2009 macbook unibody

2013 macbook pro

2017 macbook pro

iPhone 3g

iPhone 4s

iPhone 7

2021 macbook pro next?

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That's all I can say about Bezels. I personally don't understand the want for phones to go bezel-less. It just makes compromise. 

Eh. A lot of flaws with his logic. If you're buying an Apple phone, you only had the one choice when the 8 was out. Unless the X was also out, but it was so high price wise that people going with the cheaper one is a no brainer. Also, comparing it to Android phones is simply flawed as they're not really the same user.

My issue is more with the fact it's just extremely lazy design. You could easily fit a larger 18:9 screen in the same size body (perhaps a touch larger), shrink the forehead and chin, and it'd be perfectly fine. Much like Sony did with the XZ1 Compact vs the XZ2 Compact. Maybe shrink the home button a little.

I like that phones are shrinking bezels. Bigger screens in a smaller body? Sign me up.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

My issue is more with the fact it's just extremely lazy design. You could easily fit a larger 18:9 screen in the same size body

Yeah I guess you could say that. The 6s-8 were only iterations and refinements of the original 6 design. Internally there were countless changes generation to generation, but externally they started to look dated, sure. 

I personally still think the 8/Plus look great, I have no issue holding the old Plus sized phones and I rather like the chin and forehead, though only if the phone is white. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Original Core 2 Extreme (another variant was later added) iMac 2007 24

Macbook Pro 15 2007

Various editions of the iPod Nano

iPhone 6s+

Macbook Pro 15 Retina, 3 revisions. Best was the 750 based one. I haven't bought a laptop since having sold my last one.

The iMac's screen eventually yellowed but was sold nonetheless 4 years into its ownership period.

The Macbook Pro had a GPU issue not covered by their program so I parted it out.

All the iPods were sold.

The 6s+ was sold.

The first Retina had image retention issues. The second one was great but I switched out to an AMD model thinking Apple would have it in order; it had worse D2D battery life than the outgoing model and would heat up like mad. I bought my mom a Macbook Pro 13 and it developed a screen delamination problem (fixed under repair program) followed by a logic board issue, but worth noting the techs did a bad QC job because her half her keyboard lights wouldn't light up when we got it back. Apple offered to repair this issue but we never got around to it. We could probably get it repaired in full now.

Worst experience was definitely having to buy new Macbook Power bricks all the time because my cat learned that he could wake me up/get my attention by chewing on cables. We sort of braided the most exposed ones over time but holy replacing the units over all these years cost me a ton.

I can't remember the last time I've had a component fail in a PC I've built. I've had weird software issues beyond my control or degradation but otherwise they're all still operational. Some were sold to community members so I wouldn't know what the long-term on them is but most are still within my family so yeah.

Nope and never will I'm afraid. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

iPhone 4, 5s.

iPod Classic 6th Gen 160 GB

iHome, and a iHome wireless mouse

iPod Nano

I've had a 3Gs, 4s, ipad 1 and 4, macbook pro and air, imac minis, imac(normal), airport, and a 6s. I've never really had problems with them until I started getting interesting in games.

I think I've got most of you beat.... (I had an advantage, my mom worked at an apple retailer.)

I'll list them.... in order.

1. Apple Macintosh LC 500 (First computer I remember.)

2. Apple Quadra 630 (First computer that was "mine")

3. Apple iMac (Color) (My sister and I had the pink/red one because someone ordered 2 but never picked them up so we got them cheap.) 

4. iMac G4 (the "lamp" one) This was when I decided I loved computers. Coolest computer ever.

5. Original iPod with the above computer (I still have it, it still works.)

6. Macbook Pro (2006ish)

7. iPod gen 3 (I still have it, it does NOT still work.)

8. iPod nano gen 1 (I forget exactly when I got these.)

9. Macbook Pro (2008ish) (The first one died because I gamed on it constantly and it got way too hot, replaced under warranty)

10. iPod touch, first gen. (I still have it, it still works.)

11. iPhone 4 (I still have it, it still works)

12. iPod shuffle at some point.... I had four of these throughout the years. The first was the one that was on like a necklace, the second was a clip one, and the third was a smaller clip one.

13. iPad 2

14. 2011- The macbook pro died (for the same reason as before). This was the first point in my life that I didn't personally have a mac, however my work computer was an iMac. 

15. iPhone 6

16. iPhone 6 (first one the home button died)

17. iPhone 6 (second one battery died (it was "refurbished" by verizon)

18. iPod shuffle (cheap for exercise bought on sale at wal-mart)

19. iMac 27 inch, 2013 version with i7 and 32 gigs of ram (Bought used in 2018)

Would I buy a new mac now? No. I think their hardware is under powered and they are currently focusing too much on making their computers look good rather than making good computers. However the new mac mini is pretty cool. . When apple produces a "tower" computer that is upgradable again (a la the old Mac Pro or G5) is when I'll buy a new mac. For now, I'll just buy used macs. 

My brother sent me his old iPhone 5S so I could do some testing for a mobile game I was making, so I technically own that. I having it collecting dust next to my wife's old iPhone SE so I technically own that also. ?

-KuJoe

I have had:

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4S

iPhone 6

iPhone 7

iPod (Original)

iPod (Nano Gen 1)

iMac (2006)

MacBook Pro (2017 15" w/ Dedicated GPU)

Mac Mini 2015

Generally like the ecosystem. Hate the inability to escape the ecosystem.

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

So, we all know that Apple isn't the most loved company on the site. However, they do some things extremely well, including personal music players and devices that anyone can catch on to using.

I have a simple question: Have you ever owned an Apple device?

With the amount they've sold, I'm going to assume most of us older users have at some point in time. The youngin's, maybe not so much.

I personally have owned:

iPod Video 60GB Gen 5

iPod Nano 8GB Gen 6

I'd never own a laptop, phone or anything of that nature though.

I may not have ever owned an apple device myself, but I am still quite familiar with them as I often get asked by friends and relatives to come and setup/fix/navigate their devices.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I've had an iPod touch, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4s, and I currently use an iPhone 8 which I like a lot more than the Galaxy S6 I had before. 

As far as computers go I had a 2010 iMac 21.5" and I currently use a 2014 MacBook Pro which I like a lot. Battery life is still great and the keyboard is awesome. Also quite fond of the OS. 

I don't really care much for Windows 10 but it's my only reasonable choice for a gaming PC. I have no interest in their laptops since they started getting rid of ports but the latest 5k iMac still holds a small piece of my heart. It just doesn't work for me at this point in life. 

So there you have it. Someone who likes more than one thing exclusively.  

Edit: almost forgot my Apple TV 4k that I absolutely adore. Responds much faster than the Chromecast I had been using for a few years. 

9 minutes ago, mlitttler89 said:

I've had an iPod touch, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4s, and I currently use an iPhone 8 which I like a lot more than the Galaxy S6 I had before. 

As far as computers go I had a 2010 iMac 21.5" and I currently use a 2014 MacBook Pro which I like a lot. Battery life is still great and the keyboard is awesome. Also quite fond of the OS. 

I don't really care much for Windows 10 but it's my only reasonable choice for a gaming PC. I have no interest in their laptops since they started getting rid of ports but the latest 5k iMac still holds a small piece of my heart. It just doesn't work for me at this point in life. 

So there you have it. Someone who likes more than one thing exclusively.  

Edit: almost forgot my Apple TV 4k that I absolutely adore. Responds much faster than the Chromecast I had been using for a few years. 

That 2014 macbook pro is BEFORE they added those god awful "almost zero travel" keyboards right? 

I agree, I love macOS. I really do. I think it's superior to windows in every way except the most important one, game compatibility. If I could build a hackintosh and have it be perfectly stable I would, but hackintoshes are just that... hacks. And they take a good bit to get running and keep running, especially with driver updates and what not and I don't feel like putting in the effort. 

Original iPod Nano, and the iPod Nano 2nd gen.

In hindsight I should have spent half as much on any of the other non-Apple branded equivalents at the time that came with more storage since I really only used it to listen to music on the bus/train to and from high school... But that Apple Branding goes a long way when you're a high school kid who cares what others think about you and the things you have. Pretty much gave up on Apple after the earphones for it broke and Apple wanted something like $70 AUD for a replacement pair when a cheap pair of Sony earphones that sounded the same to me cost about $2.50.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I owned a couple of Apple devices, they only ones I still have and are used are the iPod touch and the iPhone 8. The iPhone 4 funnily enough was used by my grandmother until recently.

1. iPod touch 2g 16gb

2. iPad 1G

3. iPhone 4

4. Some old MacBookPro with a Core 2 duo must have been around 2010.

5. iPhone 8

-iphone 7

-airpods

i enjoy the iphone but i think now the oneplus is alot better for little more money

and the airpods ... meh they are good but are they worth 160$ not sure

I have owned several apple products

-An apple Iphone 7

- An IPhone4

I have also bought several apple products for my family including but not limited to mac book pros for both of my parents as well as several IPhones for them.

In my opinion Apple is very good for the simple user like most old people who do not really care about customization and all they want to do is make phone calls and send messages.