AMD FreeSync - AMD's Free G-SYNC Alternative

Torand

Instead of calling it "Free-Sync" they should have called it "Hahagof*ckyourselfNvidia-Sync"

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

It doesn't they say the Display has to support it also which isn't the case for every screen.

Only panels with the VESA support it !

"The GPU’s display engine needs to support it, as do the panel and display hardware itself"

From what I can see it appears to be an industry standard? I've updated the original post with the link to the VESA standard.

But here's the linky anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Video_Timings

So possibly it could be just a current plug and play technology? With a driver/software update of course.

This seems to work more like Nvidia's adaptive vsync than G-sync. As long it still requires vsync to be running it will not be a perfect solution, nor match G-sync. Vsync running adds lag no matter how it is implimented and this does nothing to solve that. So essentially it is a better version of Adaptive Vsync. A software solution is never going to match a hardware one. All that aside, it is nice to see some attention being given to vsync on both sides. I despise using vsync but in many games it is unavoidable.

This seems to work more like Nvidia's adaptive vsync than G-sync. As long it still requires vsync to be running it will not be a perfect solution, nor match G-sync. Vsync running adds lag no matter how it is implimented and this does nothing to solve that. So essentially it is a better version of Adaptive Vsync. A software solution is never going to match a hardware one. All that aside, it is nice to see some attention being given to vsync on both sides. I despise using vsync but in many games it is unavoidable.

Not quite, its still a hardware level implementation, they are just using software to activate and then apply control. I thought that at first, when the article mentioned that it was software at first, I had the same thoughts "Well its no better than adapted VSync", but then they went on to explain how it integrates with functions in the monitor, such as VBLANK and receiving command signals from the GPU.

From what I can see it appears to be an industry standard? I've updated the original post with the link to the VESA standard.

But here's the linky anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Video_Timings

So possibly it could be just a current plug and play technology? With a driver/software update of course.

Just because it is a VESA standard does not mean all existing hardware supports it. Hopefully a lot will, but there is no guarantee.

If they don't mess this up it will be great. I will reserve my judgement until we get several reviews out though.

No this is just the standard for the fixed 60hz/16ms timing.

If all the screens would support VBLANK then we wouldn't need a G-sync module because that's what it does.

It works because they're using the Toshiba Satellite Click which is a tablet:

In the case of the Toshiba Satellite Click, the panel already supports variable VBLANK.

And as you can see here AMD only mansions mobile devices because TV's and Monitors don't have VBLANK built in.

According to AMD, there’s been a push to bring variable refresh rate display panels to mobile for a while now in hopes of reducing power consumption (refreshing a display before new content is available wastes power, sort of the same reason we have panel self refresh displays).

RTX2070OC 

Not quite, its still a hardware level implementation, they are just using software to activate and then apply control. I thought that at first, when the article mentioned that it was software at first, I had the same thoughts "Well its no better than adapted VSync", but then they went on to explain how it integrates with functions in the monitor, such as VBLANK and receiving command signals from the GPU.

I doubt it is a full hardware solution. Most likely it is something supported on the firmware level on the panel's PCB and either the firmware or driver level on the GPU. It is better than a pure software solution like I initially thought but I'm not convinced that it will solve all the problems with vsync. It is a step in the right direction though, especially if AMD starts working with the big monitor manufactures to get support going. If it's a firmware level thing it shouldn't affect the price of displays at all since there won't be any additional hardware that they need to include and also it won't be something they need to pay to license.

Interesting and nice. But something I found disturbing to say the least was the quote that they've had this for years (well several generations) in the hardware. Thats fucked up that it took Nvidia coming out with something, for AMD to get off their collective asses and push it out! I'm not totally convinced until we see more reviews, mainly because we're seeing it on what are laptops/notebooks/ultrabooks whatever and not in a system with external monitors. But this would be epic.

Cool for laptops an such. Too bad it won't work on normal monitors.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

WE KNEW THIS WAS COMMING!

I just named it wrong, R-Sync.Damn.

It was called Free Sync likely because it rhymes with V-Sync and G-Sync.

Much like how G-mail rolls off the tongue because it rhymes with E-mail, or the Tribes 2's T-mail in-game messaging system.

It was called Free Sync likely because it rhymes with V-Sync and G-Sync.

Much like how G-mail rolls off the tongue because it rhymes with E-mail, or the Tribes 2's T-mail in-game messaging system.

Also because it is free, and G-Sync isn't.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Yay now I don't have to mod my Asus 248qe for g sync, and I can stick with AMD...Life is good

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

Cool for laptops an such. Too bad it won't work on normal monitors.

There is no reason it won't work on normal monitors. It just won't work on monitors out now unless they happen to have support built in already.

If its actually a vesa standard nvidia could use this too. I belive it is as they have been doing this stuff on phones for a while. Im gald to see it coming to laptops as I already run my thinkpads display at 50hrz.

So Nvidia purposefully developed a proprietary technology that there was already an industry wide standard for but was not implemented, all for what?  So it can extort licence fees from everyone and because only Nvidia cards will ever support it, and so it can hold control over AMD and Intel.

I was all for G-sync but now that it just turns out to be a proprietary solution I'm more than irked, Nvidia is basically acting like Sony.

I'm glad there is this solution using VBLANK which is already part of the standard and just needs simply to be implemented into monitors and to software, so both AMD and Intel can use it to the same effect as G-sync, an open to all solution is always preferable to proprietary nonsense.

YEY, i have been waiting for this since tom's hardware had a couple of AMD guys for a visit and one of them told that they would counter G-sync. it's sooooo much better in my eyes because it's free and availebole for everyone with a compatibole monitor and GPU (maby even nvida?). to the one's saying g-sync might be better you might be right but i don't want to tie myself down to Nvidia for 4-5 years (yeah i dont buy a new monitor every year. as linus said himself it's better to buy a really good one a hold on to it.). and this also means that AMD won't be locked out of a market share, but might actually steal it. 

i just have to point out, do any one but me cinda want to watch linus torvalds say "f**k you nvidia" becaus it cinda feels like this is AMD saying "F**k you Nvidia and keep that G-s*** for yourself" :P

P.s. sorry about the REALLY bad english, but i'm tierd and it's not my native language. 

Just thinking out loud, would this help towards the frame stuttering issues when x-firing?

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

Just thinking out loud, would this help towards the frame stuttering issues when x-firing?

No. That has nothing to do with vsync.

No. That has nothing to do with vsync.

I suppose they would be restricted on what they can do with this firmware / software development, but is it out of the realms of possibility that they can instruct the monitor to only refresh the screen when a complete frame has been rendered, and not for a partial frame? Thus helping (but not fixing) this issue?

PC Specs: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz 1.165v, Corsair H100i + 2x SP120 PE in Pull, Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600mhz, X-fire Sapphire HD7950 3GB OC Dual X Edition, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 120GB OCZ Agility 3, 480GB Seagate 600 Series, 1TB WD Caviar Black, Corsair TX850, CM Storm Trooper, Win 7 Pro. Peripherals: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard, Logitech G700S Mouse, Sennheiser G4ME ONE Headset, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers. Phone: HTC One M8.

As awesome as this is, anyone notice that the image on the left actually looks better?

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

I suppose they would be restricted on what they can do with this firmware / software development, but is it out of the realms of possibility that they can instruct the monitor to only refresh the screen when a complete frame has been rendered, and not for a partial frame? Thus helping (but not fixing) this issue?

The frame time/microstuttering issue with CFX is a driver problem and has to due with how the cards talk to each other. It has been a problem since crossfire was created. AMD's new version of CFX used in the 290 and 290x fixes the problem and they will be rolling out a driver sometime soon to finish fixing it for other cards.

I am really wondering how this pans out. There must be a reason why NVIDIA made such a special chip for it

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I am really wondering how this pans out. There must be a reason why NVIDIA made such a special chip for it

Personally, I reckon its because they thought they'd make some money out of it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II