AMD FreeSync - AMD's Free G-SYNC Alternative

Torand

Errr, you might just be a little wrong there hoss. As of December 2013, the iOS operating system has a market share of 54.27% followed by Android with 34.41%

Source: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=1

Research, its a good thing to do. Took me all of two seconds with google.

Even more important than research is the correct interpretation of the researched numbers ;-). The figures you posted refer to the web traffic caused by users of the various operating systems, not the market share of the operating systems. In the industry it is a well known fact that iOS users cause more web traffic because Apple basically blackmailed the mobile operators into selling iPhones only with a really good data plan. More information:

http://marketingland.com/report-despite-smaller-share-ios-devices-generate-67-percent-of-mobile-internet-traffic-27799

Android as an OS seems actually around 75% - 80%, depending on your sources:

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/11/12/idc-android-hit-81-0-smartphone-share-q3-2013-ios-fell-12-9-windows-phone-took-3-6-blackberry-1-7/#!rIJDU

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/07/android-nears-80-market-share-in-global-smartphone-shipments-as-ios-and-blackberry-share-slides-per-idc/

I think it's hilarious how easily you guys get worked up over something you don't really understand

http://techreport.com/news/25878/nvidia-responds-to-amd-free-sync-demo

However, Petersen quickly pointed out an important detail about AMD's "free sync" demo: it was conducted on laptop systems. Laptops, he explained, have a different display architecture than desktops, with a more direct interface between the GPU and the LCD panel, generally based on standards like LVDS or eDP (embedded DisplayPort). Desktop monitors use other interfaces, like HDMI and DisplayPort, and typically have a scaler chip situated in the path between the GPU and the panel. As a result, a feature like variable refresh is nearly impossible to implement on a desktop monitor as things now stand.

That, Petersen explained, is why Nvidia decided to create its G-Sync module, which replaces the scaler ASIC with logic of Nvidia's own creation. To his knowledge, no scaler ASIC with variable refresh capability exists—and if it did, he said, "we would know." Nvidia's intent in building the G-Sync module was to enable this capability and thus to nudge the industry in the right direction.

I think it's hilarious how easily you guys get worked up over something you don't really understand

Whoo so I was right on like page 2!

this is awesome I anything that helps with batter life for mobile laptops is a blessing

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

this is awesome I anything that helps with batter life for mobile laptops is a blessing

I think you need to look in Sony's or Apple's direction ;)

I'm so happy.

*Tears flow down my cheeks as I gaze into the wild blue yonder imagining a world ruled by cost effective solutions.*

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

Interesting. Might be worthwhile to repost as a separate topic so it'll get more visibility and discussion from people on the forum? (aka I want to see what people who are smarter than me think of this :lol: )

Unless that's against the forum rules or something, but by itself it seems like a newsworthy topic.

Interesting. Might be worthwhile to repost as a separate topic so it'll get more visibility and discussion from people on the forum? (aka I want to see what people who are smarter than me think of this :lol: )

Unless that's against the forum rules or something, but by itself it seems like a newsworthy topic.

was debating, but I guess seeing how many people are incapable of reading past a headline, I did after all.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/99660-the-real-difference-between-free-sync-vs-g-sync/

All that is needed for this to work, as AMD explained it, was an eDP connection between the discrete GPU and the display, a controller for the screen that understands the variable refresh rate methods of eDP 1.0 specifications and an updated AMD driver to properly send it the signals.  The panel can communicate that it supports this variable refresh technology to the graphics card through the EDID as resolutions and timings are communicated today and then the graphics driver would know to send the varying vblank signals to adjust panel refresh times on the fly.

If you aren't familiar with eDP, don't feel bad.  It's a connection type used in tablets and notebooks and isn't used at all in desktop configurations (some all-in-one designs do use eDP).  But here is where it might get interesting: the upcoming DisplayPort 1.3 standard actually includes the same variable refresh rate specification.  That means that upcoming DP 1.3 panels COULD support variable refresh technology in an identical way to what we saw demoed with the Toshiba laptops today.  DP 1.3 is on schedule to be ratified as a standard in the next 60-90 days and from there we'll have some unknown wait time before we begin to see monitors using DP 1.3 technology in them.

To be clear, just because a monitor would run with DisplayPort 1.3 doesn't guarantee this feature would work.  It also requires the controller on the display to understand and be compatible with the variable refresh portions of the spec, which with eDP 1.0 at least, isn't required.  AMD is hoping that with the awareness they are building with stories like this display designers will actually increase the speed of DP 1.3 adoption and include support for variable refresh rate with them. That would mean an ecosystem of monitors that could potentially support variable speed refresh on both AMD and NVIDIA cards.  All that would be needed on the PC side is a software update for both Radeon and GeForce graphics cards.

Koduri told me that AMD wasn't bringing this demo out to rain on NVIDIA's G-Sync parade but instead to get media interested in learning about this feature of eDP 1.0 and DP 1.3, urging the hardware companies responsible to more quickly produce the necessary controllers and integrate them with upcoming panels in 2014.  While I don't doubt that it is the case for AMD, I'm sure the timing of the demo and NVIDIA's G-Sync releases this week were not an accident.

Koduri did admit that NVIDIA deserved credit for seeing this potential use of the variable refresh feature and bringing it to market as quickly as they did.  It has raised awareness of the issue and forced AMD and the rest of the display community to take notice.  But clearly AMD's goal is to make sure that it remains a proprietary feature for as little time as possible.

As it stands today, the only way to get variable refresh gaming technology on the PC is to use NVIDIA's G-Sync enabled monitors and GeForce graphics cards.  It will likely take until the ratification and release of DisplayPort 1.3 monitors before AMD Radeon users will be able to enjoy what I definitely believe is one of the best new technologies for PC gaming in years.  AMD is hopeful it will happen in Q3 of 2014 but speed of integration has never been a highlight of the DisplayPort standard.  NVIDIA definitely has an availability advantage with G-Sync but the question will be for how many months or quarters it will last.

Finally, as a last minute stirring of the pot, I received an email from AMD's Koduri that indicated that there might be some monitors already on the market that could support variable refresh rate TODAY with just a firmware update.  This would be possible if a display was shipping with a controller that happened to coincidentally support variable refresh, perhaps in an early stage of development for the upcoming DP 1.3 standard.  We are trying to find a list of these monitors so we can talk with them and ask for these necessary changes.  

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Variable-Refresh-FreeSync-Could-Be-Alternative-NVIDIA-G-Sync

If its free, i dont see how it would help AMD win the market. Nvidia people would just use FreeSync with their existing cards. on the other hand, it would drop Gsync sales which causes Nvidia to not gain profit.

I was talking about winning the monitor market. No matter how good the technology is, it won't make everyone switch over to amd

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I was actually expecting that some standard commitee (DVI, HDMI, or whatever) would look at gsync and be reminded that fixed refresh rates are just a leftover from CRTs and simply add variable refresh rates to the next revision of their standard. I am happy to see that this is already reality, at least partially.

I think the industry will be more likely to adopt if its an proper standard instead of a proprietory technology like gsync (and free-sync as well in this regard).

I was talking about winning the monitor market. No matter how good the technology is, it won't make everyone switch over to amd

But now this won't make everyone switch over to Nvidia.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

• 1 year later...

pls tellz meh they support multi gpu now?!? I have R9 295X2X2 :P (on another build)