AMD FreeSync - AMD's Free G-SYNC Alternative

Torand

Don't forget h.264 recording with RadeonPro on the horizon.

You can already use AMD's built in h264 encoder to record with Bandicam (no need to wait for RadeonPro).

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Pardon my french but this is fucking brilliant! 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Can you hurry up with this, I want to buy a pc someday and now I really have no idea who's side I'm on.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'm hoping this will help drive down the pricing of Nvidia's G-SYNC. This should be interesting.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Guys....

Calm the f**k down, most of us have not seen how will this work in reality anyway, not to mention if you have a 120 HZ monitor where v-sync is not really needed, you will see no difference.

I can understand that they want to save power, but what they are doing right now again calls for new monitors.

With the 600 series Nvidia introduced adaptive v-sync, so all of you Nvidia users if you are not using it, you are doing it wrong, and AMD people you should try it at a friends house or LAN center, it makes a huge difference when gaming.

That being said, i am not against variable refresh rates, but until this becomes a standard for every monitor ( every monitor has amd and nvidia options ) we as the consumers lose every time. AMD's implementation might make Nvidia cut the prices on g-sync chips, but until every manufacturer says: O.K. we are going to have both, and not ad 500$ to the monitor cost ( 150-200 makes sense, but over time it should be even cheaper ). This will not work, so calm down, wait and see, both companies promise a lot, but it will take some time to see what is what, so wait and don't jump to conclusions.

Then again, would be fun to see AMD's "free" solution be better, i would rofl so much!

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Guys....

Calm the f**k down, most of us have not seen how will this work in reality anyway, not to mention if you have a 120 HZ monitor where v-sync is not really needed, you will see no difference.

I can understand that they want to save power, but what they are doing right now again calls for new monitors.

With the 600 series Nvidia introduced adaptive v-sync, so all of you Nvidia users if you are not using it, you are doing it wrong, and AMD people you should try it at a friends house or LAN center, it makes a huge difference when gaming.

That being said, i am not against variable refresh rates, but until this becomes a standard for every monitor ( every monitor has amd and nvidia options ) we as the consumers lose every time. AMD's implementation might make Nvidia cut the prices on g-sync chips, but until every manufacturer says: O.K. we are going to have both, and not ad 500$ to the monitor cost ( 150-200 makes sense, but over time it should be even cheaper ). This will not work, so calm down, wait and see, both companies promise a lot, but it will take some time to see what is what, so wait and don't jump to conclusions.

Then again, would be fun to see AMD's "free" solution be better, i would rofl so much!

That's it, and even then it is possible the only reason a g-sync monitor has the $120 premium is because G-sync is a selling point not necessarily an extra production cost.  There is nothing to say that manufactures aren't going charge an extra $100 to put a freesync compatible sticker on it.  Don't think they won't.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Can you hurry up with this, I want to buy a pc someday and now I really have no idea who's side I'm on.

Go with what A) fits your budget B) Gives you the best performance in the games you like and C) What would give you, the individual, a better experience. No matter what "team" you choose, its going to be a good choice. Chasing tech, so to speak, is generally a very bad idea. Something new, interesting, and neat will always come out or be talked about and can preclude you from buying some kind of tech.

Looks promising! But I can't help but think that Nvidia's solution can only be a better / more reliable. But whether it's woth the price premium, is a great question.

Also AMD's solution works just as much on "every" display as Nvidia's. AMD's might just be a little more elegant, since that solution is already being implemented on displays for other reasons.

So AMD GPU's now have Freesync, Mantle, Radeonpro recording, TressFX 2.0 and TrueAudio... None of which are available to consumers right now.  :P  If all of them work out then this year is going to be great for AMD GPU's.

Sometimes I feel like NVIDIA gets *some* undue hatred because of their proprietary stuff. I forget if it was Ryan Shrout who mentioned it on the WAN show, but he made the point they do typically spend a lot more time and R&D money to develop things than AMD does. Though I will admit, as somebody who was thinking about modding his Asus monitor for G-sync with the kit, the prices haven't been all that appealing to me, and I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for the kit.

Some other people have voiced this concern, and I think I agree - if this was such an obvious solution that was as good as G-Sync, why wouldn't NVIDIA do something similar? Even if they wanted to be "evil" like some people think and charge people a premium for it, couldn't they have just walled off this "free" solution with patents so AMD would never get their hands on it? Maybe this is subconscious, inadvertant fanboyism because I currently own an NVIDIA GPU, but I have a hard time believing they would've dropped the ball so spectacularly if this is the case. (Also, why haven't we seen this sooner?)

I'm really interested to see how it goes, but I do have my doubts, and I'll reserve judgment until reviewer sites get their hands on desktop monitors with this implemented. 

So AMD GPU's now have Freesync, Mantle, Radeonpro recording, TressFX 2.0 and TrueAudio... None of which are available to consumers right now.  :P  If all of them work out then this year is going to be great for AMD GPU's.

Maybe. Its a double edged sword. You make people wait six-ten months or less knowing how tech people are, and you risk angering your fanbase/customers and driving them to the competition. Basically, we're dealing with the ever changing tech world, you gotta have your stuff out quick quick quick. Goes for both Nvidia and AMD.

But..but.. I just bought a 780ti like 3 hrs ago in high hopes for gsync.... well fml! Well atleast I got phyx right?..right?..Oh okay then :( 

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Sometimes I feel like NVIDIA gets *some* undue hatred because of their proprietary stuff. I forget if it was Ryan Shrout who mentioned it on the WAN show, but he made the point they do typically spend a lot more time and R&D money to develop things than AMD does. Though I will admit, as somebody who was thinking about modding his Asus monitor for G-sync with the kit, the prices haven't been all that appealing to me, and I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for the kit.

Some other people have voiced this concern, and I think I agree - if this was such an obvious solution that was as good as G-Sync, why wouldn't NVIDIA do something similar? Even if they wanted to be "evil" like some people think and charge people a premium for it, couldn't they have just walled off this "free" solution with patents so AMD would never get their hands on it? Maybe this is subconscious, inadvertant fanboyism because I currently own an NVIDIA GPU, but I have a hard time believing they would've dropped the ball so spectacularly if this is the case. (Also, why haven't we seen this sooner?)

I'm really interested to see how it goes, but I do have my doubts, and I'll reserve judgment until reviewer sites get their hands on desktop monitors with this implemented. 

VBLANK is a VESA standard. No one owns the rights to it or can patent it. Nvidia seems weirdly scared of open source or GPU agnostic things. If Nvidia truely cared about PhysX, for example, they would fix it and make it work properly on CPUs then make an OpenCL version so everyone can use it. That said, I really don't think this will be as good as G-Sync. It's a step in the right direction, but we need to replace vsync all together, not add more things that rely on it.

But then again you make a very valid point here. Maybe all hope for all un nvidia owners isnt lost after all.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

GO AMD GO!!

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Free-Synch + Mantle vs. G-Synch - 200$. [The ASUS 1440p 120hz TN monitor with GSynch is 800$ xD]

I'll go with the first option. Oh--- wait--- I already did :D

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Free-Synch + Mantle vs. G-Synch - 200$. [The ASUS 1440p 120hz TN monitor with GSynch is 800$ xD]

I'll go with the first option. Oh--- wait--- I already did :D

I went with the first option big time, bought two R9 290X during one of my spree, no regrets at all. Just tried Crysis 3 @ 5760x1200, near max setting (maxed out everything other than AA, which I've settled for 4xMSAA instead of 8x) and it ran very nicely with the two cards. :wub:

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

only amd gpus? sorry no time to read. 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Hi all,

I'm interested in G-Sync and Free-Sync too.

It's seems that Nvidia support already Coordinated Video Timings (CVT) but only on professional GPUs:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/advanced_timings.html

I am very sad that this type of optimization has not been proposed before. 

today exist different standards of synchronization between the GPU and the monitor, but the type of synchronization proposed by GSync and FreeSync is the one where the GPU generates synchronization signals vary in time depending on of the speed of rendering.

The GPU must have a programmable/controllable timing generator and the standard protocol behind the connection (dvi, hdmi, dp, ecc..) between GPU and the monitor and the controller of the display must support variable timing.

The demo from AMD was on laptop where the display maybe is attached directly to the gpu by LVDS connection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LVDS

On a laptop the schema is:

GPU+LVDS Connection+DISPLAY

On PC:

GPU+ HDMI, DVI or DP Connection + DisplayController + Display

In laptop case the display is controlled almost directly by the gpu, in pc case the chain is much longer and every component must support variable timing.

Variable VBLANK (aka CVT) is available in your chain?

how to find out?

Hi all,

I'm interested in G-Sync and Free-Sync too.

It's seems that Nvidia support already Coordinated Video Timings (CVT) but only on professional GPUs:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/advanced_timings.html

I am very sad that this type of optimization has not been proposed before. 

today exist different standards of synchronization between the GPU and the monitor, but the type of synchronization proposed by GSync and FreeSync is the one where the GPU generates synchronization signals vary in time depending on of the speed of rendering.

The GPU must have a programmable/controllable timing generator and the standard protocol behind the connection (dvi, hdmi, dp, ecc..) between GPU and the monitor and the controller of the display must support variable timing.

The demo from AMD was on laptop where the display maybe is attached directly to the gpu by LVDS connection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LVDS

On a laptop the schema is:

GPU+LVDS Connection+DISPLAY

On PC:

GPU+ HDMI, DVI or DP Connection + DisplayController + Display

In laptop case the display is controlled almost directly by the gpu, in pc case the chain is much longer and every component must support variable timing.

welcome ^_^ to the best place in the world 

Does anyone know if my U2713HM has this functionality? =) Because I'm more than excitted.

Would still buy Nvidia myself though..

AMD is trying to take the first place of Nvidia. R9 290 with Mantle and this, you get so much more FPS in games if Mantle succees and with FreeSync... mmmm =)