AMD FreeSync - AMD's Free G-SYNC Alternative

Torand

og come on, I was so going for a 780, and now I'm thinking about going 290....

you can still go for the 780 i am, i meen if you redeem the games you reduce the price by about £90 or like $110 :P so  it is still worth it, for price to performance.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Can you hurry up with this, I want to buy a pc someday and now I really have no idea who's side I'm on.

the problem i have found with AMD stuff ( not a nvidia fanboy) is that it take time to get it out, liek nvidia they get it out quite quickly, cause once they let the public know they know it is ready, where AMD press release stuff to earlier get a lot of hype and most times it flops, you also have to think of the driver problems they have , including crossfire.

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Go with what A) fits your budget B) Gives you the best performance in the games you like and C) What would give you, the individual, a better experience. No matter what "team" you choose, its going to be a good choice. Chasing tech, so to speak, is generally a very bad idea. Something new, interesting, and neat will always come out or be talked about and can preclude you from buying some kind of tech.

could not agree anymore than that :)

Current Build : 

Laptop:

CPU: 

AMD is trying to take the first place of Nvidia. R9 290 with Mantle and this, you get so much more FPS in games if Mantle succees and with FreeSync... mmmm =)

Sure I'd wouldn't even have an issue recommending AMD, but I have had a much better experience with Nvidia so far.. So I kinda picked "my brand" a few years ago and don't plan on changing... 

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

eh....

like really eh...

I need/would prefer having a consumer preview esque thing... till then I'm going to stay neutral with neither high nor low expectations. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

the problem i have found with AMD stuff ( not a nvidia fanboy) is that it take time to get it out, liek nvidia they get it out quite quickly, cause once they let the public know they know it is ready, where AMD press release stuff to earlier get a lot of hype and most times it flops, you also have to think of the driver problems they have , including crossfire.

"most times it flops" *cough*reference290X*cough*

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

It doesn't they say the Display has to support it also which isn't the case for every screen.

Only panels with the VESA support it !

"The GPU’s display engine needs to support it, as do the panel and display hardware itself"

seeing as the standard was made in 2002 and most TVs use the vesa standard there should be no problems using this tech on a TV unfortunately not a lot of monitors do the whole VESA thing ... currently i'm using a 22'' tv and the refresh rated of the thing does seem to adjust to whatever i'm doing but not continuously so i would still get tearing with an fps spike (half life 2 runs at 74fps on my pc and when i go into the monitor settings the refresh rate reads 74fps)     

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

"most times it flops" *cough*reference290X*cough*

well in all fairness they hyped the card not the cooler and the card lived up to what AMD said it should (780). the fact that the aftermarket ones are competing with the reference 780 Ti is a bonus. 

seeing as the standard was made in 2002 and most TVs use the vesa standard there should be no problems using this tech on a TV unfortunately not a lot of monitors do the whole VESA thing ... currently i'm using a 22'' tv and the refresh rated of the thing does seem to adjust to whatever i'm doing but not continuously so i would still get tearing with an fps spike (half life 2 runs at 74fps on my pc and when i go into the monitor settings the refresh rate reads 74fps)     

So if we go out and buy a TV and use it as a monitor, it should work out of the box?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

can someone explain to me how this works
its basicly a software that is downloadable? or is it already integrated in the gpus? 

You know what this means... affordable G-Sync monitors!

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

only amd gpus? sorry no time to read. 

Ohh, come on.

I see some Nvidea fanboys are really burned, others are atleast admitting they would go for an AMD GPU if they still had the choice.

You bought the card you can afford, along with additional costs in mind for their 'exclusive, and only possible on' features.

You know you get more performance for your money from AMD, and Mantle support on the GPU. (which is open source)

Additionally now a FREE alternative to G-Sync. (You don't have to buy the latest GPU, or exclusive expensive hardware to make it all work)

I guess we could have seen it coming.

Nvidea has always been milking money from their costumers, trying to make exclusive features for their GPU's.

AMD at the other hand... :)

It's your choice, but I'll pick AMD above Nvidea and Intel anytime.

Computer Case: Define R4 | CPU: FX8350 @ 4.4Ghz (1.35v) | Cooler: NH-D14 | MoBo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (LP) 16GB 2000mhz CL9-T1 (1.5v) | PSU: RM1000 | SSD: 120GB 840 Evo | HDD: 2TB Barracuda | GPU: GTX 760 2GB (TwinFrozr)

Peripherals Keyboard: IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) | Mouse: Logitech M570 (Trackball) | Headset: SX-910A (Bluetooth)
Phone iOcean X7 | CPU: MT6589 @ 1.2Ghz (Stock) | Screen: 5" 1080P |---| Tablet Voyo A15 | CPU: Samsung Exynos 5250 @ 2.0Ghz (OC) | Screen: 11.6" 1080P

well in all fairness they hyped the card not the cooler and the card lived up to what AMD said it should (780). the fact that the aftermarket ones are competing with the reference 780 Ti is a bonus. 

"Titan killer" 

If you compare pineapples to pineapples -> reference cooler 780 vs reference cooler 290, the 780 does win... however, after market coolers do tell a weird story, 290's reference power phase design is crap so the chip set doesn't get enough juice, etc. 

"Titan killer" 

If you compare pineapples to pineapples -> reference cooler 780 vs reference cooler 290, the 780 does win... however, after market coolers do tell a weird story, 290's reference power phase design is crap so the chip set doesn't get enough juice, etc. 

um the 290X is the titan killer and it passes the titan quite well in lots of benchmarks synthetic and realworld.

AMD omg  :o              *blown away*

Well this was bound to happen. Happy it did, competition is always a good thing in these cases.

My Rig: i5 3570k at 4.2 GHz 1.12 Volts, Hyper 212 Evo, Maximus V Gene, RM650, 840 Pro and Seagate Barracuda, 8 GB of Sniper Ram, and a GTX 770.

"Titan killer" 

Erm since when does the chip not get enough juice? Compared to greenlight you can get much more power through to the GPU then a Green team card, currently allowing up 150% power through the PCIe socket and overvolting as well (on most cards) Take my 290x in my sig for example? Will concede that the reference cooler is terrible though. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Wow, there is no way that Nvidia did not know about this, This is a new VESA standard. That makes absolutely no sense for them to come out with their proprietary G-sync when this is happening. I wouldn't call it an AMD technology, being a VESA standard. There must be something up Nvidia's sleeve. Either that or they hardcore derped....

Obviously, current monitors won't support it. There are VESA compliant CRT monitors from like 20 years ago. Those won't have this. Standards change over time.

I think... you are missing something here.

VBLANK is about power saving and other such things. It's a VESA standard. 

AMD using VBLANK as make-shift VSync is an AMD technology (in how they use it). They are making use of a feature that is there on monitors for something no one has used it for before (AFAIK). 

So no. What AMD is doing is unique and theirs. VBLANK isn't theirs, but the way they are using it is theirs.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

um the 290X is the titan killer and it passes the titan quite well in lots of benchmarks synthetic and realworld.

Not really, to be honest. It competes with the Titan, sure and in some tests it barely beats it. In others it actually loses to the Titan. Its a pretty fair fight and a good card for AMD to put out. But Titan Killer, not at all. It doesn't crush the Titan. PCPer has probably some of the best data you can get on the 290x and it shows a pretty even fight. The reason a lot of reviews have this huge gap is the cards were "cold" so it didn't throttle the cards like we see when the 290x is warmed up.

I wrote some pretty good input earlier in the thread but it seems most of the people on this page didnt read that.

Don't worry, I've read your post and understand it :> Still doesn't change the fact that I want some tests AND input.

For me there's also a difference between 'doesn't refresh until a new frame is produced' with 'refreshes as soon as and only when new frame is produced in high performance environment'. Dem corps love swell tongue twisters that can have different meanings.

With a software solution comes latency and input lag, good on AMD to find a way to provide an alternative to G-sync, but it by no means will be as good.

Considering I'm going for IPS panels, even more input lag is completely out of the question.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

With a software solution comes latency and input lag, good on AMD to find a way to provide an alternative to G-sync, but it by no means will be as good.

Considering I'm going for IPS panels, even more input lag is completely out of the question.

Given that AMD's version is based on firmware controlling hardware inside of the display device, and nVidia's version is firmware controlling a daughterboard that adds the same function to the monitor, wouldn't one expect a similar amount of latency?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Typical of AMD to use a silly marketing term to drum up attention. Most of their customers are young with short attention spans (can't afford intel cpus and nvidia gpus). (Trolololllo)

'Free' is it? I'm guessing you'll need a new monitor just the same as gsync, or they would've used monitors for their presentation.

Lets see how this pans out.

Day by day things are coming out that make me want to get a 290/x over a 780/ti

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Typical of AMD to use a silly marketing term to drum up attention. Most of their customers are young with short attention spans (can't afford intel cpus and nvidia gpus). (Trolololllo)

'Free' is it? I'm guessing you'll need a new monitor just the same as gsync, or they would've used monitors for their presentation.

Lets see how this pans out.

I think it is "free" in that they won't charge a royalty fee for implementing it.