Facebook say 50m users left vulnerable to a new security flaw

ItsMitch

S: BBC | Facebook Blog

This is fairly new, last 5 minutes.

Facebook is currently investigating 50m users that was left vulnerable to a critical security flaw with a feature known as "View As" which allowed some attackers to gain access to the account. 

The breach was uncovered on Tuesday and Facebook has informed the authorities. The flaw has been "fixed"

Facebook's statement in their blog post. 

Since we’ve only just started our investigation, we have yet to determine whether these accounts were misused or any information accessed. We also don’t know who’s behind these attacks or where they’re based. We’re working hard to better understand these details — and we will update this post when we have more information, or if the facts change. In addition, if we find more affected accounts, we will immediately reset their access tokens.

People’s privacy and security is incredibly important, and we’re sorry this happened. It’s why we’ve taken immediate action to secure these accounts and let users know what happened. There’s no need for anyone to change their passwords. But people who are having trouble logging back into Facebook — for example because they’ve forgotten their password — should visit our Help Center. And if anyone wants to take the precautionary action of logging out of Facebook, they should visit the “Security and Login” section in settings. It lists the places people are logged into Facebook with a one-click option to log out of them all.

I find it funny they say peoples privacy is important, but they keep fucking up OVER AND OVER AGAIN. 
Edited by SC2Mitch

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

S: BBC

This is fairly new, last 5 minutes.

Facebook is currently investigating 50m users that was left vulnerable to a critical security flaw with a feature known as "View As" which allowed some attackers to gain access to the account. 

The breach was uncovered on Tuesday and Facebook has informed the authorities. The flaw has been "fixed"

I find it funny they say peoples privacy is important, but they keep fucking up OVER AND OVER AGAIN. 

I left social media a year ago after my second kid was born, needed to put the correct time into the correct things in my life.  My life experiences are so much better for it.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I wonder if this is why myself and many friends were recently(last 2 or 3 days) randomly logged out of our FB accounts and messengers, having to sign back in?

Edit - I just read the source and apparantly yes it is xD 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, iRileyx said:

I wonder if this is why myself and many friends were recently(last 2 or 3 days) randomly logged out of our FB accounts and messengers, having to sign back in?

Yup, all sign in tokens was reset. 

Second, we have reset the access tokens of the almost 50 million accounts we know were affected to protect their security. We’re also taking the precautionary step of resetting access tokens for another 40 million accounts that have been subject to a “View As” look-up in the last year. As a result, around 90 million people will now have to log back in to Facebook, or any of their apps that use Facebook Login. After they have logged back in, people will get a notification at the top of their News Feed explaining what happened.

Someone uses facebook because of their security? oh wait soccer moms/ and dads... we're inclusive.

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

No system can ever be 100% fail-proof. 

And the recent Facebook scandal was just a 'Come and get it' to all the hooligans out there on the Interwebs 

(not defending them, fuck Facebook)

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

I don't even use facebook anymore and I purged all of my posts months ago.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

5 hours ago, Kamina said:

I don't even use facebook anymore and I purged all of my posts months ago.

Facebook still has 'em m8

Download your data, you'll find messages from when you first created your account lmao

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

15 hours ago, wANKER said:

Facebook still has 'em m8

Download your data, you'll find messages from when you first created your account lmao

They can't have them forever. Eventually they will have to delete old, irrelevant posts to keep up with the times.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

It doesn't matter. Even if 9 billion users got their data breached, those users and FB still don't and won't care. It's like FB is a lifesavior to those morons. Whatever FB is saying, they will always exist.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

50m users, eh? How many fake Pakistani / Indian accounts out of these?

Still laugh when I see an avalanche of Pakistani / Indian accounts liking something like my local gym, when there's a 10,000 km distance.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Delete facebook.

Facebook never signs you out.

Facebook has your "internet fingerprint" always tracking you.

On your DNS settings set facebook.com to point to 127.0.0.1

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

50m users, eh? How many fake Pakistani / Indian accounts out of these?

Still laugh when I see an avalanche of Pakistani / Indian accounts liking something like my local gym, when there's a 10,000 km distance.

I made a fake indian account just to see how facebook would treat me, because I know millions of people all share common indian names. I friended a few indians and within 24 hours I had thousands of friends & friend requests. I also had my account suspended until I could prove to facebook I was a real person.

On 9/30/2018 at 7:23 AM, Kamina said:

They can't have them forever. Eventually they will have to delete old, irrelevant posts to keep up with the times.

They actually archive those things. Some companies move data to slower storage that costs less to maintain. It's not relevant for the regular user but for research and analytics it actually is.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

TINFOIL HATS ON!!! -

They say it was stolen so they wouldn't have to explain how other companies got a hold on user data by actually buying statistics from facebook. Same goes for other social media websites. That's why some internet adds are individualized.

Spoiler

tHeY sAy iT wAs StOLeN!!!

*removes tinfoil hat*

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Facebook is getting more hate by each passing month, or for that matter a day, and for a good reason. Yet many people (including myself) still use it daily. Personally, I don't use it for 'sharing' personal stuff, but more to check up upon some news sites and what not and also in case someone needs to contact me. For the rest, it's just pure shit. Don't need all the other stuff they 'provide'. Privacy for that matter has somewhat started to die out in the recent years.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

55 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

They actually archive those things. Some companies move data to slower storage that costs less to maintain. It's not relevant for the regular user but for research and analytics it actually is.

Yeah, Facebook don't make money off you from adverts or purchases, they make money off your data. So you can well believe they'll keep every single bit they have on you, including your messages. 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

1 minute ago, KendoSapion said:

Yeah, Facebook don't make money off you from adverts or purchases, they make money off your data. So you can well believe they'll keep every single bit they have on you, including your messages. 

They make money from adverts using statistics that came from user data.

Have you not wondered why the ads you get aren't the same with your school mate or co-worker. Because it's tendered to each individual, from habits like what are the usual things you clicked the 'Like' button to or what videos you watch.

To give you an example, most of the ads I get on youtube and facebook pertain to video games and pc parts. While some friends of mine get make-up ads. Now how did yt and fb know that? I never answered a survey from them or told them directly but then here it is.

Is that clearer now?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

1 hour ago, YoloSwag said:

TINFOIL HATS ON!!! -

They say it was stolen so they wouldn't have to explain how other companies got a hold on user data by actually buying statistics from facebook. Same goes for other social media websites. That's why some internet adds are individualized.

Reveal hidden contents

tHeY sAy iT wAs StOLeN!!!

*removes tinfoil hat*

Since snowden i've been covered in Tinfoil, I wouldn't actually be suprised if this turned out to be true either.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

1 hour ago, YoloSwag said:

They make money from adverts using statistics that came from user data.

Have you not wondered why the ads you get aren't the same with your school mate or co-worker. Because it's tendered to each individual, from habits like what are the usual things you clicked the 'Like' button to or what videos you watch.

To give you an example, most of the ads I get on youtube and facebook pertain to video games and pc parts. While some friends of mine get make-up ads. Now how did yt and fb know that? I never answered a survey from them or told them directly but then here it is.

Is that clearer now?

Yes I'm basically agreeing with you...
Many companies including Facebook can be losing money right now from adverts but it doesn't matter if their mining your data. Just like Amazon, the more data they have on everyone the more money in 20,30, or 50 years time they'll make from it. We are no longer the consumer, were the product.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

I deactivated my account a long time ago. I don't "Facebook" anymore. In hindsight I wish I never "Facebooked" in the first place.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler