How smart is Linus?

Yugen

Well frankly he talks like a machine gun as if he's hyperactive so that takes off couple points out of his intelligence from my point of view. Not to mention erecting the Ryzen rig on top of a desk and then making it fall foolishly... I wouldn't say he's a smart guy or knows way too much. I mean, why would you put "Can you game on a Quadro?" on a video thumbnail... it's a poor clickbait. Of course you can game on it.

This has to be my first post talking shit about Linus on his site. Lol.

4 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Well frankly he talks like a machine gun as if he's hyperactive so that takes off couple points out of his intelligence from my point of view. Not to mention erecting the Ryzen rig on top of a desk and then making it fall foolishly... I wouldn't say he's a smart guy or knows way too much. I mean, why would you put "Can you game on a Quadro?" on a video thumbnail... it's a poor clickbait. Of course you can game on it.

This has to be my first post talking shit about Linus on his site. Lol.

Considering he built a very successful business from scratch I wouldn't underestimate his wits. His best skills aren't necessarily apparent on camera. You wouldn't have seen the ryzen rig falling if he hadn't wanted you to.

As for the quadro video, sure, most people probably know you can in fact play games on a quadro, what they might want to know is how well they can run games compared to a much cheaper geforce card.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Considering he built a very successful business from scratch I wouldn't underestimate his wits. His best skills aren't necessarily apparent on camera. You wouldn't have seen the ryzen rig falling if he hadn't wanted you to.

As for the quadro video, sure, most people probably know you can in fact play games on a quadro, what they might want to know is how well they can run games compared to a much cheaper geforce card.

It was still dumb to see it fall.

The Quadro video was about the P6000.. it played the games better than any other Pascal GPU (that includes the Titans) at the time. Quadros play games just fine, it depends on the hardware inside the card. The drivers are not made for gaming but they do that well as long as you got the gear. There could have been surely a better wording than that to put onto the video thumbnail. It was clearly a clickbait.

5 minutes ago, Motifator said:

It was still dumb to see it fall.

The Quadro video was about the P6000.. it played the games better than any other Pascal GPU (that includes the Titans) at the time. Quadros play games just fine, it depends on the hardware inside the card. The drivers are not made for gaming but they do that well as long as you got the gear. There could have been surely a better wording than that to put onto the video thumbnail. It was clearly a clickbait.

It's not clickbait if it tells you what the video is about... do you want them to give away the conclusion in the title? What would you have called it?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's not clickbait if it tells you what the video is about... do you want them to give away the conclusion in the title? What would you have called it?

It is clickbait, it's for the sheeple to click on the video. I'm not even mentioning the advertisements before every video begins. I'd have called it the best performing Pascal GPU or something... what is wrong with giving away the conclusion in the title?

2 minutes ago, Motifator said:

It is clickbait, it's for the sheeple to click on the video. I'm not even mentioning the advertisements before every video begins. I'd have called it the best performing Pascal GPU or something... what is wrong with giving away the conclusion in the title?

If a title that sounds interesting is automatically "clickbait" then I don't know what to tell you... "The best performing pascal gpu" would also be clickbait by that definition, and to be honest it would be even less informative considering it doesn't mention they are talking about a quadro. Why is it for "sheeple" to click on a video that sounds interesting? As long as the video is ACTUALLY about what the title claims then there is no problem at all and it's not clickbait. Giving away the conclusion in the title is "wrong" because then you'll think you have no reason to watch the video, even if it isn't true. Since LMG are in business because people watch their videos, that would be a little counterproductive...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

If a title that sounds interesting is automatically "clickbait" then I don't know what to tell you... "The best performing pascal gpu" would also be clickbait by that definition, and to be honest it would be even less informative considering it doesn't mention they are talking about a quadro. Why is it for "sheeple" to click on a video that sounds interesting? As long as the video is ACTUALLY about what the title claims then there is no problem at all and it's not clickbait. Giving away the conclusion in the title is "wrong" because then you'll think you have no reason to watch the video, even if it isn't true. Since LMG are in business because people watch their videos, that would be a little counterproductive...

Interesting? You CAN game on a Quadro full stop. You can even game on lower end Quadros perfectly, it's a title for the sheep. Tell me why "The best performing Pascal GPU" is clickbait? It says QUADRO P6000 in the video title.. clearly it's a video about a Quadro GPU and it DOES perform better than any other Pascal card so what was your point again?

You could give away the conclusion and people would still watch the video as long as it's interesting. Oh wait, it's a video of a guy making 50 awkward face expressions while reviewing computer hardware... maybe I shouldn't watch it for that reason. 9_9

9 hours ago, jrsaninipot said:

How smart (in terms of modern computer tech) do you think Linus is? 

Where did he study?

How did he become a tech savvy?

He studied YouTube at the University of YouTube studies and has a PhD in YouTube so he is very smart. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

i'd give him the perfect score of 5/7

he knows quite a bit about technology but you can see clearly from their videos especially about the servers and the problems they had that while he knows how to make things work it does not mean its always the right way to do it.

As far as i know he grew into this role due to working at a computer store before and picked up his knowledge along the way.

There are many wrong facts in his techquickies videos in which many forum members who worked in the industry had pointed out. E.g. an IT consultant had once listed out all the wrong things she heard in techquickies network protocol video. 

Their videos are more on the entertainment side rather than factually correct edcuational side to be honest. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I think he's sharper than people give him credit for. He seems like a guy that has improvised his way through life and recent videos, and he's doing pretty well. I know if I had kids, a business to run, was Canadian, and had to make videos and wan show shit with little to no research or prep time, I'd say way more wrong shit than Linus has. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

clearly the best reviewer they can get hold of in-house

@CPotter @RILEYISMYNAME FIGHT

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

so yes he's smart, but he's a generalist. He knows a little about everything, but ask him to go into depth on a subject and he has to do a lot of research. He is very smart when it comes to his business and by extension media. is he as smart as gamers nexus? nope, but that's not why I watch. Linus covers a broad range of topics in tech, gives me the basics i need to understand and go deeper if i want, and gives seemingly very honest opinions about what he likes and dislikes on products and what he thinks about news stories that come up. He knows how to express his opinion well, but without going too far and does so far a good job of making sure the forum stays decently friendly and (for the most part) stays away from politics. He also seems to do a great job of taking care of his employees, giving them what they need to do the job well, keeping things fun and happy.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

7 hours ago, Motifator said:

Well frankly he talks like a machine gun as if he's hyperactive so that takes off couple points out of his intelligence from my point of view.

I hate to be this absolutist but... You're wrong. Speaking as someone with AD/HD it doesn't just make you unable to focus. It makes it really hard to focus on boring stuff, or stuff you're not interested in. Since it can make school an absolute drag because you might not be interested in whatever they're teaching, kids with lower grades due to AD/HD are often thought of as less intelligent. This is a misconception. In fact, people with AD/HD are usually really really good at stuff they're interested in. If linus' "thing" is computers and he does indeed have AD/HD, then it's just another reason he's so good with computers.

tl;dr AD/HD doesn't mean dumb.

it's time

Smart enough to start his own company.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

1) Smart =/= knowledgeable... if you mean "how much does he know", he knows enough to assemble and use the vast majority of consumer electronics competently. He doesn't know a lot about computer science and component level electronics (I doubt he could tell you in detail how a transistor works, not that he needs to for the purposes of LTT).

2) He didn't go to university.

3) He had a knack for building computers and he worked for a tech retailer.

Oh dear, call the firefighters to extinguish that SAVAGE BURN linus_yes48x48.png.d7e2102f6da364b13d0bdd5cd08c4aae.png

To be fair, I used to have a Ford and it was pretty reliable... must have been because it had a VW engine ^^

Fords sold in Europe are built in Belgium :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

9 hours ago, Motifator said:

what is wrong with giving away the conclusion in the title?

Less people would watch the video.

This same logic is why many people develop opinions by just reading headlines...

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

In terms of education, Brandon might have highest finished studies. Or Anthony and Alex. Luke is Uni dropout, was Linus even earlier, like college? Anyway, if you want rolemodel on education in tech-tubers, Wendell is the guy. He is super-smart.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, RollTime said:

I hate to be this absolutist but... You're wrong. Speaking as someone with AD/HD it doesn't just make you unable to focus. It makes it really hard to focus on boring stuff, or stuff you're not interested in. Since it can make school an absolute drag because you might not be interested in whatever they're teaching, kids with lower grades due to AD/HD are often thought of as less intelligent. This is a misconception. In fact, people with AD/HD are usually really really good at stuff they're interested in. If linus' "thing" is computers and he does indeed have AD/HD, then it's just another reason he's so good with computers.

tl;dr AD/HD doesn't mean dumb.

I wasn't trying to say that, maybe I should have worded it better. I hate it when people talk stuff endlessly in a repeated manner, it's awkward. Have you watched Kyle's [H] TV videos? The guy sits down and talks like a doctor or something. Clearly, with the words out of the mouth one by one. Something Linus can't seemingly do. It gives you trust into the person.

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

In terms of education, Brandon might have highest finished studies. Or Anthony and Alex. Luke is Uni dropout, was Linus even earlier, like college? Anyway, if you want rolemodel on education in tech-tubers, Wendell is the guy. He is super-smart.

Love Wendell. He doesn't butcher or misuse tecnical jargon unlike most tech tubers. (Looking at you Jay)

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

I wasn't trying to say that, maybe I should have worded it better. I hate it when people talk stuff endlessly in a repeated manner, it's awkward. Have you watched Kyle's [H] TV videos? The guy sits down and talks like a doctor or something. Clearly, with the words out of the mouth one by one. Something Linus can't seemingly do. It gives you trust into the person.

I kind of like Linus' style. It feels like he's doing what ever he's doing right there and then. For me it's more of a personal connection.

But that's just my opinion.

it's time

I'd say he's intelligent, he foresaw the future of NCIX and that unless they made significant changes they weren't going to last long. He was right, they didn't last long. He knows a lot about the industry and a lot of good general knowledge as well. He has a solid understanding of economics.

But I think he also does a lot of his own research or has a lot of research done for him by others. He doesn't know everything in all the TechQuickie videos for example.

I'd say he's one of the most knowledgeable/smarted tech tubers out there, I'd back him in a debate or quiz and he'd be the kind of boss where he'd lead by example, not like the TH Editor in Chief for example. Linus knows what's he's talking about. If you just look at how he approaches Scrapyard Wars he clearly is a clever dude and has a lot of knowledge about components.

how much does he know?

not enough to put together a decent $1000 system and not as much as the comunity, but enough to be able to use any hardware thrown his way and he knows a bunch about server stuff.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

how much does he know?

not enough to put together a decent $1000 system, but enough to be able to use any hardware thrown his way

That sounds like a guy who could play the guitar extremely well but literally never took a mic in his life and sung a song. Lol, you get the point. I don't know if Linus` basic knowledge is really indeed that bad, but without knowing the basics, even having a knowledge of high end server hardware would still make you look clueless on a place like this.

I wouldn't bring him down that much, he can probably come up with a decent system worth a grand and do it better than a good amount of people on here.