Battlefield V Release date pushed back to November 20th!

maartendc

Polygon published an article just now saying battlefield V will be delayed to November 20th.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/30/17799546/battlefield-5-delayed-release-date-november

Developer DICE issued a statement on publisher EA’s website today explaining the team’s reasoning behind the delay. The team wants to focus on making “some final adjustments to the core gameplay,” adding that “we’re going to take our time to make sure we get it right.”

“You have told us that you are seeing an increased focus on squad play come through, you are also feeling the difference in our revamped player movement and we are getting a lot of positive feedback for our improved weapons handling,” Oskar Gabrielson, general manager of DICE, said in a statement. “You’ve also spurred us to make some meaningful improvements to the core gameplay experience, including adjusting the gameplay tempo, improving soldier visibility and reducing player friction. You’ll see a lot of these reflected in our Open Beta that starts on Sept. 6.”

“That’s why we’re moving our launch date,” Gabrielson said. “We’re going to take the time to continue to make some final adjustments to core gameplay, and to ensure we really deliver on the potential of Tides of War. We know moving the launch date means that we all have to wait a little longer. But we’re going to take our time to make sure we get it right.”

Battlefield 5 was originally set to launch on Oct. 19 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC. October was an already crowded month, with Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 hitting on Oct. 12 and Red Dead Redemption 2 hitting on Oct. 26.

Now that was all the marketing B/S: Now for my take on this news:

I think the real reason they pushed it back it because it was slotted between the releases of Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. This led to pre-orders being a reported 85% lower than the Black ops 4 pre-orders. (While pre-orders for Battlefield 1 were only behind Call of Duty to the tune of 20-40%). People only have so much money to spend on games, and being released right in between two of the most heavily anticipated games of the year clearly wasn't doing the pre-order sales of Battlefield V any favors. By pushing the release back a month, they hope the game will sell better, instead of being dead on arrival. People will be able to save their money for another month, and it would still be in time for the holidays and black Friday sales around Thanksgiving.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/20/cowen-predicts-eas-battlefield-v-will-be-a-serious-disappointment-citing-weak-pre-orders.html

"EA's Battlefield V currently appears to potentially be headed for serious disappointment," analyst Doug Creutz said in a note on Monday. It is lagging far behind "Call of Duty," "Red Dead Redemption 2" and "Assassin's Creed," he added, and by slightly more than it was two weeks ago in the case of the first two.

The analyst said preorders for "Battlefield V" are tracking more than 85 percent behind "Call of Duty: Black Ops 4," which is substantially worse than previous instances. "Battlefield 3" and "Battlefield 4" titles lagged "Call of Duty" by about 20 percent to 40 percent and "Battlefield 1" actually tracked ahead of "Call of Duty" at this point before launch.

Saying that gameplay tweaks were needed before launch is absolute rubbish, because EA and DICE are known to make gameplay tweaks in any case to their games after release. There is no reason the gameplay tweaks to player movement, weapons, etc. would not be able to be made after launch. This is just a business decision plain and simple.

The stated reason that they need more time to finish the "Tides of war" mode seems strange as well. These Tides of War events seem like nothing more than custom map rotations, some new weapons skins, and some assignments, just like Battlefield 1 had. These things surely don't take much time at all to put together when the maps and guns are already there?

The open beta is still on for September 6th, with pre-orders and EA Access subscribers being able to play from September 4h. I am personally looking forward to this! Hope the Beta is good and the game is good.

What do you all think about this? It seems very unlike EA not to hit a release date at all costs. Especially for something minor like "gameplay tweaks".

Oh no what will I do this is horrible I won't be able to play a new unique gameplay experience that is completely distinct from BFOne/Hardline/4/3 I'm so sad

</s>

On no poor EA....

HAHAHAHA! .... sry i couldnt say that with a straight face ..or without laughing.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

BF1 is probably gonna die not just because of lack of consumer interest and EA's decisions, but probably on the grounds of DICE devs' comments on various things.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Cool! Still boycotting. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Polygon published an article just now saying battlefield V will be delayed to November 20th.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/30/17799546/battlefield-5-delayed-release-date-november

Now that was all the marketing B/S: Now for my take on this news:

I think the real reason they pushed it back it because it was slotted between the releases of Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. This led to pre-orders being a reported 85% lower than the Black ops 4 pre-orders. (While pre-orders for Battlefield 1 were only behind Call of Duty to the tune of 20-30%). People only have so much money to spend on games, and being released right in between two of the most heavily anticipated games of the year clearly wasn't doing the pre-order sales of Battlefield V any favors. By pushing the release back a month, they hope the game will sell better, instead of being dead on arrival. People will be able to save their money for another month, and it would still be in time for the holidays and black Friday sales around Thanksgiving.

Saying that gameplay tweaks were needed before launch is absolute rubbish, because EA and DICE are known to make gameplay tweaks in any case to their games after release. There is no reason the gameplay tweaks to player movement, weapons, etc. would not be able to be made after launch. This is just a business decision plain and simple.

The open beta is still on for September 6th, with pre-orders and EA Access subscribers being able to play from September 4h. I am personally looking forward to this! Hope the Beta is good and the game is good.

What do you all think about this? It seems very unlike EA not to hit a release date at all costs. Especially for something minor like "gameplay tweaks".

Black ops 4 is heavily anticipated? I am unsure how they end up selling so much of that hot garbage every year. 

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

BF1 is probably gonna die not just because of lack of consumer interest and EA's decisions, but probably on the grounds of DICE devs' comments on various things.

I think probably all of the above, but also just because they did such a poor job of marketing the game and showing off how cool the gameplay is.

The reveal trailer, regardless of the controversy about it, just didn't do a good job of showing off the gameplay or setting. It failed to get fans excited about it.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Black ops 4 is heavily anticipated? I am unsure how they end up selling so much of that hot garbage very year. 

Aparently Black ops 4 pre-orders are pretty good, so I guess yes, it is anticipated at least by fans of the series. Not my cup of tea personally, but I know that Black Ops was one of the more popular COD "subfranchises"

https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-pre-orders-are-very-strong-07-08-2018/

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Aparently Black ops 4 pre-orders are pretty good, so I guess yes, it is anticipated at least by fans of the series. Not my cup of tea personally, but I know that Black Ops was one of the more popular COD "subfranchises"

https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-pre-orders-are-very-strong-07-08-2018/

Never was a fan if the blackop multiplayer. The zombies was good though. Had a ton of fun playing it with my friends back in the day. 

Maybe also because more work can be done on raytracing?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

56 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

They may still have some rays to trace :P 

Reveal hidden contents

Gotta use those gigarays :P

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Never was a fan if the blackop multiplayer. The zombies was good though. Had a ton of fun playing it with my friends back in the day. 

Honestly, I think Zombies is the main reason why people buy the Black Ops version of COD, which may also be one of the main reasons why so many people have ordered it already.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

yeaaaaah I'm not feeling that war torn car in the trailer... wasn't shiny enough...

Bolivia.

Still onboard the hype train. If anything, this gives me time to properly setup an OC on the 9900k and 2080ti :)

Also, gives BFF time to start making episodes again ._.

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

maybe they want some more time to optimize it a bit more so that the cards might actually be able to run it at higher framerates?

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

I think this is happening for two reasons:

1. The primary reason is, as alluded to, their original release date was poorly timed - smack in the middle of a couple of huge games (And even though BFV should also be huge - the other 2 titles are more hotly anticipated).

2. This gives them the opportunity to do a bunch of tweaks and fixes from beta feedback.

I don't think they're lying about using this time to do tweaks - honestly that's a GOOD THING - I just don't think that was the primary decision factor.

Either way, I'm pleased in both cases. While I probably won't buy the game - never was a huge BF fan - I don't want the game to fail due to bullshit troll pseudo-anger over things that shouldn't matter.

I want the game to be the best it can be, and then I want it to be reviewed fairly and freely. If the game sucks because of bad gameplay and mechanics? Then it should do poorly. However, if the game is good (and I've heard very positive things from the Beta), then I want the game to succeed.

EA is a pile of shit, but then so is most other large publishers. DICE are good folks. And we should appreciate it when they do "good" practices like this. Because if they do the "good" thing and it fails, they'll just go back to putting an overload of micro-transactions and pay to win back in.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not too sad about this since I have no interest in this game other than wanting to see the final RTX implementation, oh well :P

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I wonder if any of the recent law changes in other countries regarding loot crates have any effect to the release date. Probably just a business decision as others have mentioned above.

I'm really interested in the raytracing implementation in the final build.

I'm still listening to EA and not buying it though.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

When are people going to stop giving into EA.. Well PC players wised up at least.

Best & worst cases for your money in 2018 are:

Best Cases overall

I) Fractal Design Meshify C - Airflow and relatively quiet, best all around case

I) Phanteks Enthoo Pro M / Special Edition (white interior) - Airflow & full water cooling support

I) Fractal Define R6 - Silent with decent airflow

I) Be Quiet! DB 900 (Full Tower) - Airflow and silent 

I) Fractal Design Meshify C mini (mATX)

I) Corsair 400C - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Phanteks 350X - Only use with low end components, no 1080 / TI

I) Fractal Design Focus G

Cases that may be worth your money

I) Thermaltake G21 - GPU and CPU cooling issues, modest tweaking
I) Silverstone RL06 / Pro - Mustard/Ketchup wires, Shitty cable management, Poor front radiator support, useless psu filter, stupid ssd layout
I) In Win 303

I) Coolermaster H500 no suffix - if 200mm fans are your thing

I) NZXT H700 non "i" version - Needs to come down in price to be worth it

I) Corsair Carbide 100R - Suitable for low end builds

The worst cases - Do Not Buy

I) NZXT S340/Elite, H500, H440 (everything except the H700) Reason: Poor airflow
I) Coolermaster Masterbox 5

Majority of cases on the market

I am glad they're doing this. Hopefully they'll have a near perfect game at launch. I am interested in playing it.

5 minutes ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

I am glad they're doing this. Hopefully they'll have a near perfect game at launch. I am interested in playing it.

It would be a nice change, certainly.

A lot of AAA games launch buggy these days. It's fairly rare to see a smooth launch from a AAA publisher. DICE and EA are among guilty parties for launching buggy and fixing post-launch. I'd like to see that trend change.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

26 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It would be a nice change, certainly.

A lot of AAA games launch buggy these days. It's fairly rare to see a smooth launch from a AAA publisher. DICE and EA are among guilty parties for launching buggy and fixing post-launch. I'd like to see that trend change.

Boy, when BF4 launched I remember how the netcode was complete garbage.  You'd be 3 feet behind a corner and get moved back and killed.  Or you'd come around a corner and insta-die.  And it would consume 6 cores worth of CPU at 100% for no reason.   And this was after a 1 month open beta.

General opinion: not really interested in BF5.  It seems like a reskinned BF1 from the few gameplay videos I've watched, and WW1 isn't (for me) going to be substantially different gameplay than WW2.  The ray tracing thing might make it interesting though if it offers Crysis-like redefinition of visual fidelity.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

18 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Boy, when BF4 launched I remember how the netcode was complete garbage.  You'd be 3 feet behind a corner and get moved back and killed.  Or you'd come around a corner and insta-die.  And it would consume 6 cores worth of CPU at 100% for no reason.   And this was after a 1 month open beta.

General opinion: not really interested in BF5.  It seems like a reskinned BF1 from the few gameplay videos I've watched, and WW1 isn't (for me) going to be substantially different gameplay than WW2.  The ray tracing thing might make it interesting though if it offers Crysis-like redefinition of visual fidelity.

Well, sadly I don't know if those things will get fixed in another months time if they are major issues.

Battlefield 1 launched with issues to the netcode that never got fixed (the issues you describe pretty much; getting killed from behind corners and stuff).

Battlefield 1 also launched with issues to the DX12 implementation that never got fixed.

So I am not confident they can fix issues in 1 month that they weren't able to fix in BF1 in 2 years worth of patches. Sadly, I think these things are so baked into Frostbite at this point, they have no idea how to even fix them. I am hoping for better DX12 implementation in BF V, but not holding my breath.