Banned from the Internet - Current Lawsuit could force ISPs to ban users

rcmaehl
8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Most companies allow for that. What few megacorporations that don't either provide you what is needed to apply on location (like Walmart) or they don't want you.

Walmart has a whole slew of other issues. You can't walk into Manatee Memorial's (FL) HR dept and ask for a paper application. They will hand you a colored sheet with instructions on how to apply on-line. They will not accept paper resumes and there are no computers available for use. Same was the case for St. Joseph's in Paterson, NJ and Mountainside Hospital in Montclair (at least I think it may have been the Montclair area known as Bay Ridge). We're talking about professional jobs, not Walmart or Best Buy. Making enough money isn't an answer to this either. This is a case of the law needing to keep up with the pervasiveness of the internet as we go away from paper.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

26 minutes ago, Maria Phene said:

I think it's an excellent move to ban from the internet the ISP's that accesses and downloads copyrighted file. By this process, it will be easy to take solutions to piracy and copyright infringement cases. I hope that this will serve as a solution to stop illegal file sharing.

I accuse you of piracy, and without any due process, you've now lost your internet connection because I simply pointed my finger at you and made a statement with nothing to back it up. This is a terrible way to go about doing things and will serve as nothing but a weapon to silence and extort people.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

I accuse you of piracy, and without any due process, you've now lost your internet connection because I simply pointed my finger at you and made a statement with nothing to back it up. This is a terrible way to go about doing things and will serve as nothing but a weapon to silence and extort people.

Oh and if you want to be reconnected it'll be 25% of your yearly income PRE-TAX or some other stupidly high fee that you basically HAVE to pay since there's no other providers in the area because I bought them all and all the companies you do things through are doing stuff online now.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I think the problem now is the music industry isn't ready to adapt. I mean honestly, with things like Pandora, Amazon Music, Itunes, Etc... the music is out there. Hell the first time it airs on the radio you can grab it up. You have those artists that are smart and put out youtube channels with all their songs, so people can view it all they want and they get ad revenue from it.

The truth the big money maker these days is live shows. Music is just too easily accessible for free now. I have an Amazon Music for Echo subscription which is unlimited anything and I have yet to find a song it couldn't find... for $4.95 a month. So how is that much better than getting it elsewhere for free? Are you telling me I am paying all of these artists anywhere close to the value of what they want for that song for $4.95 split 10,000 ways.

Now I understand that pirating content hurts the music and video industry. That being said the video industry gets a ton of their money from the theater launch, then some residuals once it hits digital or physical delivery methods. The music industry can get it from live shows, youtube ad generation, radio stations, and a tiny bit from streaming services. They do have some sales via Itunes and the like for 50-99 cents a song. They don't have the same gain from pirating that the game companies do.

Which is funny, the game companies have actually stayed in the same profit area from the pirating. I mean yes, some single players game do get hit pretty hard, but those with a online or multiplayer component see some gains. That is because pirated gains have given people who would never touched the game access to it. Then that person who would have never considered that game will like it and want the multiplayer capabilities which forces them in to a purchase. I am not saying that happens all the time, but it happens enough that it offsets the losses from pirated copies. That is why things like DRM are needed. It keeps the game from being pirated for launch, so all of the must havers actually purchase it, then when it does finally get cracked the people who like it start to add a few more sales.

In the end the message is that the internet has changed things. These companies need to adapt or die. This course of action is just a desperate attempt to stay with the old way of things. They know that a competent judge isn't going to grant them the access they want and legally we are all better off for it. If this was something like pedophilia or any thing else related to it... then yes I would agree. When it comes to distributing copies of music though which is already readily available for free and/or a very small fee for pretty much everyone... then no way. I know plenty of people out there that have pirated content, but don't even know it is pirated or illegal... I mean in my age bracket we all pretty much know, but the youth and elderly not so much.

Welcome to EVERY COUNTRY THAT IS NOT AMERICA where WE DON'T GET LAME TREATMENTS FORM ISPs. 

32 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

-snip-

Just to add onto this, the artist actually makes most of their money from live shows where they get the biggest portion of profits. From streaming, CDs, etc. they make about 30% or less of their money from that. The rest of the money goes to the record labels, middlemen, etc. so if you want to have the biggest impact for an artist, buy merch and go to live shows :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 8/27/2018 at 9:24 AM, Drak3 said:

Again, no, you don't. No one does.

That's like saying you don't need a phone or a car or electricity. Can you survive without it? Yeah but it makes things way more difficult. 

On 8/27/2018 at 11:22 AM, Drak3 said:

Most companies allow for that. What few megacorporations that don't either provide you what is needed to apply on location (like Walmart) or they don't want you.

How do you find out what companies are hiring and what kind of jobs are available? How would you even find the directions to the companies place of business? I think you severely underestimate just how reliant people are on the internet in the modern world. Just look at the scrap yard war with no internet. It made things super difficult. 

On 8/24/2018 at 12:09 PM, Ginger_ said:

The thing about using tor is that it's really obvious you are. If an isp wanted to find and track everyone using tor it's really, really easy. So they could just track you and wait for you to slip up or just unravel your trail. 

It's really not nearly the security people think it is. It's like walking into a store with a blanket around you that says on the outside "I'm definitely not doing anything illegal" while you rob the place 

That goes both ways. If everyone is wearing the blanket then it will become the norm.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

How is you find out what companies are hiring and what kind of jobs are available?

I walk to local businesses and ask if they're hiring and what positions.

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

How would you even find the directions to the companies place if business?

These things called maps.

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

think you severely underestimate just how reliant people are on the internet in the modern world.

A vocal minority would genuinely struggle without internet. Doesn't make it a need or right.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 8/24/2018 at 3:09 PM, Ginger_ said:

It's like walking into a store with a blanket around you that says on the outside "I'm definitely not doing anything illegal"

Store employee (ISP): Sir, what are you doing?

Guy covered in blanket (TOR user): I'll tell you what I'm not doing. Robbing you.

Sounds legit. Totally not suspicious.

My knowledge on TOR is severely limited but from what I THINK I know about it is that it works kind of like a peer-to-peer network where your traffic gets routed though another TOR users computer. As you said this does sound extremely back traceable given the time to do so. If not result in one user getting their house raided for another users connection going through their node.

Feel free to correct me on everything I just said.

On 8/24/2018 at 10:46 AM, rcmaehl said:

If successful, a lawsuit from the Media Industries could force ISPs to heavily monitor users and potentially ban them from Services

And here is where this ruling by the Ninth Circuit should be useful...

https://torrentfreak.com/ip-address-is-not-enough-to-identify-pirate-us-court-of-appeals-rules-180828/

Basically I think this would negate a big portion of this as it addresses that just an IP address is not enough to determine that someone has pirated material.

In a ruling handed down yesterday by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, Judge Margaret McKeown makes it crystal clear that Cobbler Nevada LLC, the owner of the copyright in question, has no case against Gonzales.

“In this copyright action, we consider whether a bare allegation that a defendant is the registered subscriber of an Internet Protocol (‘IP’) address associated with infringing activity is sufficient to state a claim for direct or contributory infringement,” the Judge writes.

“We conclude that it is not.”

Cobbler Nevada claimed that Gonzales had directly infringed their rights or, in the alternative, contributed to another person’s infringement by failing to secure his open WiFi. The district court, which previously heard the case, dismissed these claims. The Ninth Circuit agreed that was the correct decision.

“The direct infringement claim fails because Gonzales’s status as the registered subscriber of an infringing IP address, standing alone, does not create a reasonable inference that he is also the infringer,” the Judge notes.

“Because multiple devices and individuals may be able to connect via an IP address, simply identifying the IP subscriber solves only part of the puzzle. A plaintiff must allege something more to create a reasonable inference that a subscriber is also an infringer.”

21 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

A vocal minority would genuinely struggle without internet. Doesn't make it a need or right.

You are increadibly niave if you think it would be a minority. You just limited your job opportunities to business you actually know of and are in your area. That is like a very small percentage of companies and you lose put on a huge amount of opportunities. The amount of effort it would take to look up the company find the address then find a map that is for the area of that address would be significant and you would still not even know if they are hiring. 

On 8/27/2018 at 3:15 PM, Drak3 said:

No, you don't.

Are you living under a rock or what? For one if i loose my internet connection i cannot continue my studies and take care of stuff concerning them. (Everything  goes over the internet including paying the fees.) Or would you be comfortable if you have to waste days because of this law for things that could be done in a matter of minutes over internet?

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Ah yes, the mighty map, always up to date and totally accurate at all times when printed on paper, and the phone book too! Those things are never wrong, out of date, and always contain the latest up-to-date information! Nobody would ever go away from those!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 8/24/2018 at 3:15 PM, DrMacintosh said:

uTorrent. 

I've got some bad news for you, sit down. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

46 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ah yes, the mighty map, always up to date and totally accurate at all times when printed on paper, and the phone book too! Those things are never wrong, out of date, and always contain the latest up-to-date information! Nobody would ever go away from those!

*Laughs in Scrapyard Wars Season 7 phone book usage*

Not in service

Not in service

Not in service

Doesn't sell computer parts 

Not in service

Not in service

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

*Laughs in Scrapyard Wars Season 7 phone book usage*

Not in service

Not in service

Not in service

Doesn't sell computer parts 

Not in service

Not in service

And that is why the internet is so invaluable at this point. It allows for easy access to very important information. 

19 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I've got some bad news for you, sit down. 

I’ve never ran into issues with it :) 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s owned by McAfee...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

It’s owned by McAfee...

If there is something bad about uTorrent I would appreciate someone actually saying it rather than just making jokes.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

If there is something bad about uTorrent I would appreciate someone actually saying it rather than just making jokes.....

I wouldn’t know. I’m of the mindset that anything 10 years past production should be archived for free public use.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

15 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It's had many issues in the past few years- ads installing malware using a flash exploit, it once came bundled with malware itself, one time a crypto miner. 

And before all that it was sketchy. Like it's been sketchy for at least 6 years. I stopped using it in 2012 I think- used an old version then switched. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Internet access should be a protected right, You just can't survive in this day and age without it.

Though if things keep going the way they are it won't be long before the only garrunteed right you have in the US is the right to carry an assault riffle through a kindergarten. :/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

It's had many issues in the past few years- ads installing malware using a flash exploit, it once came bundled with malware itself, one time a crypto miner. 

And before all that it was sketchy. Like it's been sketchy for at least 6 years. I stopped using it in 2012 I think- used an old version then switched. 

I use qbittorrent, although a PiHole is also helpful protection against malicious ads