Banned from the Internet - Current Lawsuit could force ISPs to ban users

rcmaehl
12 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I use qbittorrent, although a PiHole is also helpful protection against malicious ads

I use bittconnect :p. Honestly I think the problem with utorrent is that people download stuff that is actually just malware. Had to fix my brothers computer once because it was unusable because of malware. 

On 8/28/2018 at 8:29 PM, Windows7ge said:

Store employee (ISP): Sir, what are you doing?

Guy covered in blanket (TOR user): I'll tell you what I'm not doing. Robbing you.

Sounds legit. Totally not suspicious.

My knowledge on TOR is severely limited but from what I THINK I know about it is that it works kind of like a peer-to-peer network where your traffic gets routed though another TOR users computer. As you said this does sound extremely back traceable given the time to do so. If not result in one user getting their house raided for another users connection going through their node.

Feel free to correct me on everything I just said.

TOR or to be more clear The Onion Routing works as it sounds to work. It is a p2p network, or more precisely routing table, but it's encrypted like an onion where every node has their own key that peels off one layer of the onion and reveals the next layer and where to send it and on the way back they get a onion and add their own layer to it and send it back to where they got it. So, only the origin knows the whole layout and has every key to peel open the whole onion and nodes only know their own key and where they got the message and where to send it. The end node knows where the origin wants to access but even it doesn't know who the origin is, it just knows that it needs to access server X and it got the request from the node in IP Y and encryption key Y with which it must encrypt the message coming from the server.

So it's not like walking to a store with a blanket, it's more like playing broken telephone and sending someone else to rob the store for you.

(More clear video from Computerphile about onion routing)